Ford eviscerates local GTA politics

3 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Unelected judges are supposed to be just that, judges. Non partisan. Their purpose is to keep overly ambitious politicians in check through unbiased consideration, giving clear, logical reasons for their decisions. Certainly that is not the case and the appeal process, if carried out would prove this true. Of course, that would take time to complete. So the whole thing was purposely to delay Ford's initiative, and allow the election to go through as planned.

I wonder who set this up, and who allowed that judge to preside? Perhaps there should be an investigation...

This judge was the same one who awarded Millions to Kahdar and is a friend of John Tory.

The hysteria over all this is astounding, looks like it`s going to be a fun 4 years.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sophia Jones said:

I am a new member. So what is the drill?

Veteran members have developed their roles over time....perhaps you will too.

The drill is to provide/reciprocate as much attention and biting sarcasm that Canada/Ontario insists on devoting to the Americans.

How would Doug Ford be defined were it not for Donald Trump and U.S. media ?

Funny part is that the Americans do not have a "get out of jail free card" in their constitution.

53 minutes ago, scribblet said:

Or the more feeble minded left wing is just buying into liberal propaganda.

"Unelected judges are in their position to ensure that the Liberal agenda continues "

That's the only propaganda I see posted here.   

And... Liberal judges ?  Here's the support for same-sex marriage.   The Liberal government introduced the Civil Marriage act in 2005.  Notice anything funny about this graph and the timeline ?

Looks like the 2002 and 2003 ruling came in exactly at the time 50% of Canada did.  Moving on...

blog_ag19en.png

55 minutes ago, scribblet said:

This judge was the same one who awarded Millions to Kahdar and is a friend of John Tory.

Obviously a leftist if he's a friend of... uh... the former PC leader ?

My god man, if you continue to brand people as left-wing because they're not fascist enough, you will evoke the name calling you deserve. I roll my eyes at you and sip my latté.  

4 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

More unadulterated horse shit.  Right-wing media is brainwashing the feeble-minded to buying into some kind of free-range libertarian paradise.    This is akin to people calling an end to having police, because of police brutality. 

Right wing media?

4 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Yes - the election was under way.  People had spent their own money to register for an election, taken leave from their jobs only to have this dropped on them.

So let them be reimbursed. Problem solved.

Just now, Wilber said:

How about any other costs they may have incurred?

I'm pretty sure campaign signs don't have say anything about where they're running. Presumably most will run again, so the signs will be fine. They still need a campaign office and literature. I'm not sure how much needs to be reimbursed. But I'd support reimbursing anyone who decides not to run.

5 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Sounds like you're not a fan.  The problem with this populism is that people respond to the strength & law and order profiles of these types.  They have reassuring personas.  Ford, though, is a small-time businessmen and ex-crook who comes from a poor moral lineage.  He won, though, because the alternative is a finger-wagging elementary school type that nobody likes.  The 'designated driver' type personality.  

You left out that she basically looted the public purse of billions of dollars in hopes of enhancing her re-election chances, that her own AG called her budget a fraud, and that her idiotic green energy policies had raised rates sky-high. Not to mention the succession of incompetent and corrupt programs, policies and stories over the years.

Almost anyone would have won against Wynne. 

5 hours ago, Sophia Jones said:

He clearly is the moronic trump in looks, intellect, the ability to articulate the English language,

Comparing him to Trump is silly. None of his policies are similar to Trump. Or can you find one? I would agree he has a disagreeable personality, and I was certainly not pleased when he won the leadership job. But he's far more moderate than Trump and his public statements to date have been reasonable and articulate.

Except he has full power and intends to use it to control Ontarians. With 40% of the 52% of Ontarians who actually voted,

We seem to get this bleat every time the conservatives win. Yet nobody seems to care when Liberals win with similar numbers. Trudeau didn't even get 40%. Do you consider him illegitimate?

• Like 2

You are correct - definitely not a fan! And I agree with you on all counts, except for the 'finger-wagging' reference.  Contrary to popular view, I quite liked Kathleen Wynne and was sorely disappointed with the turn of events, albeit it was time for a new face at the helm.  I much would have preferred Andrea Horvath, whom I see as gutsy, intelligent and someone with a strong moral compass.  She is a woman of the people.  Doug ford is nothing of the sort - but a massive troublemaker without a brain - as per our "president" in the U.S.  He is into the first quarter of his premiership and chaos reigns.   It is to be ashamed to be an Ontarian - the rest of the country are shaking their heads as is our PM. 

Thanks for your commenting.

Seeing how all the other parties defended the Separate school system even though it conflicts with the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights on the grounds that 'it's in the constitution' (essentially the same argument the Iranian Ayatollahs to defend their violations of international human rights), and even though i don't particularly like Doug Ford, I'm happy to see him give that rag we call a Charter the respect it deserves. :)

6 hours ago, Sophia Jones said:

You are correct - definitely not a fan! And I agree with you on all counts, except for the 'finger-wagging' reference.  Contrary to popular view, I quite liked Kathleen Wynne

What did you like about her? Her incompetence on every file? Her huge deficits? Her dishonesty in trying to hide her deficits?

6 hours ago, Sophia Jones said:

I much would have preferred Andrea Horvath, whom I see as gutsy, intelligent and someone with a strong moral compass.  She is a woman of the people.  Doug ford is nothing of the sort - but a massive troublemaker without a brain - as per our "president" in the U.S. 

What makes Horvath a 'woman of the people' and Ford not a 'man of the people', other than you not liking his polices? I agree he's not particularly noted as being a genius, but then neither is Horvath. So this seems to all boil down to you preferring a left leaning leader who will offer you lots of 'stuff' as opposed to a right leaning leader who won't.

• Like 1

Rob Ford has been dead for awhile now....

I'll bet that Doug has a life-size cardboard cutout of Rob installed in his office at Queen's Park...

Premier Doug Ford and Mayor Rob Ford

Edited by OftenWrong
fixed link so image won't show unless you click it

9 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Since Ontario Conservatives don't believe in the courts anymore, who is going to investigate ?  Mall security ?  

The new-to-politics set is very susceptible to dumb messages, and Ford's "I was elected not appointed" message is irresponsible at best.  He's leading the rubes over the cliff to disaster.  The provinces now can veto the Federal government, and Ford did that.

Hearing your bitter whining sarcasm, is like drinking a sweet caramel macciato, salted with liberal tears...

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Hearing your bitter whining sarcasm, is like drinking a sweet caramel macciato, salted with liberal tears...

I think MH is right and I would say the same about any government that used the not withstanding clause in such a partisan, trivial manner.

Edited by Wilber
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Yes - the election was under way.  People had spent their own money to register for an election, taken leave from their jobs only to have this dropped on them.

This is big government, executed awkwardly and without a brain.  I read that the minister in charge of this has 1,000 people per councillor in his riding !  

Exactly my point. This is not about rights....it's about inconvenience. Registration fees can be returned. If you took a leave from work - you just go back. There's absolutely no guarantee that you would win anyway. Might be sloppy implementation - but if the government believed that it would help, the alternative of waiting another 4 years is not a good one. Ontario - and by extension Toronto - has a lot of work to do. If Toronto Council would have taken the advice of their lawyers and just accepted the Government's direction, there would have been ample time to carry out the election in a robust fashion. But the important point is about rights - and I strongly expect the appellate courts will overturn the decision.

Toronto City Hall needs a time out room for the opposition and public temper tantrums.  The protesters kicking walls outside should be sent to their rooms and grounded for a long time; the histrionics are over the top.   I wonder where these protesters where when the Liberals were screwing over Ontario on a regular basis. 

I see ford for who he is - a total amateur with idiotic ideas.  Do people actually think that 'getting things done' means a buck a beer?  this nonsense about city council?  Taking away $100million in school repairs?  Cancelling huge environmental initiatives?  He has infuriated pretty much every interest group - educators, LGBTQ, business people (see cancelling windfarm projects that are already heavily invested in and almost completed), lawmakers and anyone else who respects the Charter of Rights & Freedoms, anyone who is literate. 

"the histrionics are ... over the top"?   I think that is the right of people in a democratic society - to protest.  His moral compass in negligible - I would say equivalent to his IQ.  He is known as a bully and was a blight on Toronto City Council. Late to meetings (if he showed at all), talking on his cell throughout, talking over people, etc.  They loathed him.  so this is just payback by someone who probably never even heard of the Charter til one of his minions told him about it.   SAD.

13 hours ago, Argus said:

What did you like about her? Her incompetence on every file? Her huge deficits? Her dishonesty in trying to hide her deficits?

What makes Horvath a 'woman of the people' and Ford not a 'man of the people', other than you not liking his polices? I agree he's not particularly noted as being a genius, but then neither is Horvath. So this seems to all boil down to you preferring a left leaning leader who will offer you lots of 'stuff' as opposed to a right leaning leader who won't.

If you actually listen to Horvath speak, and know what the ideology of the NDP are, you would know she is articulate and has a moral compass.  Her job is to make sure that there is social equity, to respect and support the working class - which ford knows nothing about, although he casts himself as one of them - and to do right by the rights and freedoms of the democracy we live in.  She hardly is offering "lots of stuff" (a ridiculous comment) but I absolutely prefer a leader who leans in, listens and supports actual people - not some bogus beer-drinking, truck-driving/gas guzzling moron such as himself.

45 minutes ago, scribblet said:

Toronto City Hall needs a time out room for the opposition and public temper tantrums.  The protesters kicking walls outside should be sent to their rooms and grounded for a long time; the histrionics are over the top.   I wonder where these protesters where when the Liberals were screwing over Ontario on a regular basis. 

I wonder where these protesters where when the Liberals were screwing over Ontario on a regular basis? 

If you cast your memory back to the 90's under Mike Harris, you will recal that people actually DIED under a government who would do anything to cut corners.  "Corners" such as clean water.  He was practically run out of town on a rail, as will be ford, another moronic PC.  "Liberals screwing over Ontario on a regular basis" is hardly the case.  Just watch ford do that in spades.  Not even 3 months into his first term and the place is a mess.  Definitely was time for a new face this time around, but not this ugly mug.

14 hours ago, Argus said:

Let me guess.   Could it be because she's the first lesbian premier?

To a lot of so-called progressive thinkers - that's a qualification that trumps all, you know.

Edited by betsy