Doug Ford - leader of Ontario PCs

22 hours ago, BubberMiley said:

I wonder if the PCs will release a platform before the election, or even an explanation of how they will pay for the many expensive promises. Is it really enough to do nothing and say nothing in the hopes that their Trumpy leader will stay quiet and sneak in on the back of Wynne's unpopularity?

It SHOULD be enough.

Wynne has played so fast and loose with the books that it's hard to know where things stand to start with - so a complete  audit of the books is ia good place to start. NOT making all those desperate Wynne promises - and being the only candidate with aspirations to move towards to a balanced budget is the foundation of a decent platform. As for Horwath.....as nice a person as she seems to be, she's already tipped her hand as a Tax & Spender. We simply can't afford it. Period.

As for Ford being a "populist", Justin Trudeau is probably the most twisted populist that Canada - perhaps even the Western World has ever seen. Modest deficits? Populism - and an outright lie. End to FPTP? Populism - and an outright lie. Transparent governance - Sunny Ways? Populism - and an outright lie. An end to Harper's embarrassing emission targets? Populism - and an outright lie. There are plenty more examples of course - all cleverly made to pick off segments of voters - and leave them high and dry.

So - I couldn't care less if Ford decides not to present a detailed platform/plan. Just don't promise the world - and I want him to keep his word that once in power, to provide a plan to balance the budget by the end of his first term. 

4 hours ago, Centerpiece said:

Justin Trudeau is probably the most twisted populist that Canada - perhaps even the Western World has ever seen. Modest deficits? Populism - and an outright lie. End to FPTP? Populism - and an outright lie. Transparent governance - Sunny Ways? Populism - and an outright lie. An end to Harper's embarrassing emission targets? Populism - and an outright lie. There are plenty more examples of course - all cleverly made to pick off segments of voters - and leave them high and dry. 

Promoting the biggest source of CO2 available on the planet while preaching CO2 reduction....silly effing voter segments are more than happy to be picked off.  The hilarious part is how many of those voters just as happily leave Trudeau high and dry even when they're getting what they want.

That's how stupid Trudeau is.

Edited by eyeball

On 3/14/2018 at 10:17 AM, Queenmandy85 said:

You would think that when credible physicists like the late Professor Hawking say we need to stop emitting carbon, any intelligent person would listen. 

To add context, Hawking's "understanding" of climate science is well outside of the scientific mainstream. Specifically his "understanding" of the magnitude of feedbacks and if they are anywhere close enough to cause runaway warming could use improvement.

Edited by -1=e^ipi

On 5/15/2018 at 3:38 PM, Centerpiece said:

So - I couldn't care less if Ford decides not to present a detailed platform/plan. Just don't promise the world - and I want him to keep his word that once in power, to provide a plan to balance the budget by the end of his first term. 

Ford said he will release a costed platform before the election. This could work in the PCs favour. Releasing the platform closer to the election will result in quite a bit of media attention. Also, Libs and NDP final campaign moves risk losing the spotlight to Ford's policies.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-doug-ford-says-hell-release-fully-costed-platform-before-ontario/

17 minutes ago, H10 said:

So in true PC style, Doug ford stepped on his own d*ck right before the election by trying to sign up phony members for a whit elady with an indian name, kinga surma.

Actually, it was not right before the election, but two and a half years ago, before Ford was PC leader. Nevertheless the allegation by the Liberals are serious and should be looked into by the authorities.

Matthews said the audio, which she said was recorded in an Etobicoke Tim Hortons in October 2016, when Ford was not leader of the party, was provided to the Liberal campaign by the man who recorded it. Matthews said the man wants to remain anonymous and would not divulge any further information about the provenance of the recording.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/doug-ford-pc-memberships-audio-recording-kinga-surma-1.4675893

Edited by capricorn
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

The PCs went with the only candidate who could lose this election. Ford is just repulsive to many voters, an arrogant goon who doesn’t even pretend to do have studied for the job in question. 

His on-camera persona is also off-putting to say the least.  He sounds like a nightclub bouncer close to retirement, and I haven't seen eyes that dead since Tony Soprano.  The good news for PCs though is that NDP majority is still unlikely, current polls notwithstanding.  That means they can get a redo and select Christine Elliot.

Then we can all move on from this Tea Party nonsense.  

3 hours ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

The PCs went with the only candidate who could lose this election. Ford is just repulsive to many voters, an arrogant goon who doesn’t even pretend to have studied for the job in question. 

His supporters love him for the same very reason you do not. 

2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

His on-camera persona is also off-putting to say the least.  He sounds like a nightclub bouncer close to retirement, and I haven't seen eyes that dead since Tony Soprano.  The good news for PCs though is that NDP majority is still unlikely, current polls notwithstanding.  That means they can get a redo and select Christine Elliot.

Then we can all move on from this Tea Party nonsense.  

Ford is not the Tea Party. It's not even clear Ford is very conservative. As Andrew Coyne said a couple of weeks ago, he's not a conservative, and not really a populist either.  Unfortunately, he is indeed the only person who could have lost this to the NDP. And that's unfortunate for Ontario, for as Coyne said back then.

That word — “imagine” — might be the theme of the coming election. The three major parties appear to be living in a world of the imagination, with platforms full of imaginary promises paid for with imaginary dollars. The province is sinking ever deeper in debt, notwithstanding the Liberal government’s desperate efforts to conceal it, its debt-to-GDP ratio headed for 45 per cent even after a decade or more of uninterrupted economic growth. A recession of any length or severity would blow that number skyward.

Beyond that the picture only grows darker, with the first of the baby boomers just into their 70s and the costs of health care projected to rise, relentlessly, as they grow into their dotage. And yet all three parties are merrily racking up new spending promises — daycare, pharmacare, dentacare, the works — with money they wouldn’t have even if the official budget numbers were genuine, and not, as the province’s auditor general has lately warned, a swindle and a fraud (I paraphrase). It’s an election in la-la land.

I don't know that I blame the parties, though, so much as the voters. Last time around what cost the Tories the election was the admission by Tim Hudak that he would lay off tens of thousands of public servants. People don't want to hear that. They don't want to hear about cuts. They want goodies, they want free stuff. And the parties have responded to that.

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/andrew-coyne-neither-a-conservative-nor-quite-a-populist-doug-ford-isnt-what-many-think

3 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

His on-camera persona is also off-putting to say the least.  He sounds like a nightclub bouncer close to retirement, and I haven't seen eyes that dead since Tony Soprano. 

Tony Soprano was a very popular character in Canada....consuming HBO's series in biggly numbers.

America has the labels you need to fight it out in a provincial election.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Argus said:

I don't know that I blame the parties, though, so much as the voters. Last time around what cost the Tories the election was the admission by Tim Hudak that he would lay off tens of thousands of public servants. People don't want to hear that. They don't want to hear about cuts. They want goodies, they want free stuff. And the parties have responded to that.

I think I agree.  But a minority government could work well for all involved, as Ontario voters may get a chance to shake the etch-a-sketch toy and try again.

Good to see so many despondent posters jump back into the fray. I think the last poll by Forum was an outlier with the NDP at 47% - but there's no doubt it's a real horse race. It appears neck and neck right now. The PCs tend to have a very good ground game to get the vote out so that might give them a bit of an advantage. All told, who the heck knows what's going to happen? This is Ontario - home of the self-flagellating masochists. The interesting side show is that in order to actually win, the NDP would have to pummel/destroy/annihilate the Liberal vote - which more than likely would cause them to lose party status. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Well, look at the bright side...either way Kathleen Wynne is political toast.  Taking the Liberals down with her is just gravy.

Has Trudeau distanced himself from her yet ?  (He seems to spend more time in the U.S.)

Trudeau is embattled in Canada and an embarrassment on his global travels. Reminds me of what Harry Neale once said - coach of the Vancouver Canucks when they had a really bad hockey team:

"We can't win at home, we can't win on the road - and quite frankly, I can't think of anywhere else to play!".

On 5/15/2018 at 4:50 AM, BubberMiley said:

You'd think he was by the very Trumpy candidate the PCs put forward.

In what way is Ford a "Trumpy" candidate? What has he said that gives you that idea? Just wondering? After all you did say that Ford has not released any kind of platform yet. At least Trump did when he was running for president. A bit of a difference there I would say. 

3 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

His supporters love him for the same very reason you do not. 

A decent PC candidate could have reached far beyond the goonophile vote. Ford does appeal to geezers who do tend to turn up on voting day which may save him. The critical thing may be how much the anti-Ford vote coalesces behind the NDP. It is a majority of the electorate already. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

26 minutes ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

A decent PC candidate could have reached far beyond the goonophile vote. Ford does appeal to geezers who do tend to turn up on voting day which may save him. The critical thing may be how much the anti-Ford vote coalesces behind the NDP. It is a majority of the electorate already. 

Don't forget the goonophile vote, or whatever you call it, got him the nomination. If PC's don't like him, they had their chance to make that known. As for "geezers", your apparent disdain for the elderly won't change much. What wins is voting, not moaning.

50 minutes ago, Centerpiece said:

Good to see so many despondent posters jump back into the fray. I think the last poll by Forum was an outlier with the NDP at 47% - but there's no doubt it's a real horse race. It appears neck and neck right now. The PCs tend to have a very good ground game to get the vote out so that might give them a bit of an advantage. All told, who the heck knows what's going to happen? This is Ontario - home of the self-flagellating masochists. The interesting side show is that in order to actually win, the NDP would have to pummel/destroy/annihilate the Liberal vote - which more than likely would cause them to lose party status. 

I can't see how any political leader can win if they say(Horvath)that they want to make Ontario a sanctuary province. Only self-flagellating masochists would vote for a foolish talking person like that and I am pretty sure that liberals would have no problem with the idea of making Ontario a sanctuary province. It would be in their interest to try and get the ethnic vote. 

6 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Don't forget the goonophile vote, or whatever you call it, got him the nomination. If PC's don't like him, they had their chance to make that known. As for "geezers", your apparent disdain for the elderly won't change much. What wins is voting, not moaning.

I’m a geezer myself so I can mock my own kind. 

23 minutes ago, capricorn said:

Other factors are that disenchanted Liberal voters decide to move to the NDP, or simply stay home.

That's why polls matter so much in our FPTP system. If they want their vote to count, Liberals have to dump their party and move left just as NDP voters moved right in the general. 

People who think Horwath cannot win don't get it.  There are 3 parties who get 95% of the vote.  The conservative vote is 40%, which is basically their ceiling.  The rest of the voters are left wing.  Now that they see Wynne cannot win, the 20% of liberal supporters will abandon ship and vote NDP, which is why they are now tied at 37% with cons now.  Expect  a NDP landslaide as liberals abandon ship and try to block Ford.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

That's why polls matter so much in our FPTP system. If they want their vote to count, Liberals have to dump their party and move left just as NDP voters moved right in the general. 

Which is precisely what they will do, no one is going to waste  a vote on liberals come election day.  It will be an NDP landslide to block a bad candidate as liberal voters all run away.