People`s Guarantee - Patrick Brown

http://torontosun.com/news/provincial/kathleen-wynnes-liberals-trail-tories-and-ndp-poll

Voters polled by Forum put the Tories at 40%, Andrea Horwath’s NDP at 26% and the Liberals at 24%.

The pollster projects that if the numbers hold, the NDP would form the official opposition.

Bozinoff noted the drop in Tory support coincided with an aggressive media campaign by union-funded Working Families and Working Ontario Women that targeted Brown as a Donald Trump clone and social conservative.

“This shows a minimal impact — the Tories are down a little bit, the NDP are up a little bit,” he said.

That's a huge lead. 

On 12/4/2017 at 1:34 PM, OftenWrong said:

Hope it will be even bigger than that. Lose official party status!

Don't count on it. All those people who are beneficiaries of government largess will continue to vote Liberal. That includes all the public servants and their families. That's a million families right there. All those people she just gave a big bump in minimum wage to are very happy with her, as well. Gays are happy with her and will never vote Tory. Add in those dummies she fools by pretending to lower energy costs, and those who believe she actually balanced the budget and it's a far cry from certain she won't be re-elected.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems lots of people think Patty Brown is basically a closeted Liberal. I'm not entirely sure if this works to his benefit or detriment. On one hand he will attract small L's on the fence, on the other hand he may be disliked by PC supporters that are a bit further to the right. 

On 12/9/2017 at 12:43 PM, Argus said:

Don't count on it. All those people who are beneficiaries of government largess will continue to vote Liberal. That includes all the public servants and their families. That's a million families right there. All those people she just gave a big bump in minimum wage to are very happy with her, as well. Gays are happy with her and will never vote Tory. Add in those dummies she fools by pretending to lower energy costs, and those who believe she actually balanced the budget and it's a far cry from certain she won't be re-elected.

Interesting that you think this! I will likely vote for Patty or Andrea Horwath (but I'm leaning towards Patty), my gayness and all. My only problem with him is that he seems to be pretty uncharismatic and doesn't take a hard stance on issues.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2017 at 7:26 PM, Argus said:

We do not have a surplus now or anything remotely like a surplus. Wynne is lying through her teeth. We have a huge deficit and tax cuts will make it worse. On the other hand, anything to get rid of Wynne has to be better. They can make the money up in other ways, like slashing public service salaries and numbers, perhaps, or cutting other programs.

A one timer because of the sale of hydro one. They are using it to show a surplus, but wait till next yr.

On 11/26/2017 at 12:31 PM, ?Impact said:

Patrick Brown and the Ontario PCs have released their "People`s Guarantee" which is essentially the beginning of their 2018 election campaign. This includes:

• 22.5% lower income taxes for middle class (his definition appears to be people earning less than $86k)
  • 75% refund of child care expenses
  • 12% more off your hydro bill
  • Largest mental health commitment in Canadian provincial history
  • First-ever Trust, Integrity, and Accountability Act

I need to study the final two, but does anyone believe the first three are anything but empty promises or continued increase in our public debt? They are claiming they will run a $2.8 billion deficit (up from a projected surplus of the current government) in the first year and then return to surplus.

That is what all politicians say and do. Make promises and then if elected tend to ignore just about all of those promises. Just about all of our Canadian politicians are nothing more than a bunch of liars, cheats and thieves otherwise Canadians would not be hundreds of billions of dollars in debt to the banksters if it were not for politicians that treat our tax dollars like it was a gift to them from the Canadian taxpayer's to go out there and blow all of it. Just about all politicians appear to lack any morals or decency and what they seem to be very good at is to keep raising taxes, create more and bigger government and try to take more of our freedoms away. And that will never change because the Canadian people have decided that they do not want to force those politicians to change their spendthrift ways. As a matter of fact, I am pretty sure that just about all Canadians love it when the politicians give it to them up their keister. That appears to make their day when that does happen. Aw well. 

When the day comes when I finally hear a politician say that they are going to cut taxes and big government and give back freedoms that were taken away form Canadians, sort of like a Trump type of politician, then that person will get my vote. Maybe I will get shafted by that individual also, but eh, it won't make any difference to me anyway or effect my life because I am very use to being lied to by our Canadian politicians. What was promised to me at least gave me a thrill and something to look forward too for a little while. 

Personally, all  I can ever see and hear from these Canadian politicians is that we can all look forward to more taxes, more government , and less freedom. It's the Canadian way of how things are done in Canada. Deplorable. Why cannot Canadians have the right to Citizen's initiated referendums, and the right to recall like the people of Switzerland have? Can you imagine some political party in Canada daring to suggest such a thing as giving the people the right to be able to have those rights given to them? Not very likely that would ever happen here in kanuckistan. People running the show and not the politicians? What a laugh, eh? :D

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2017 at 12:43 PM, Argus said:

And all the small business people have families also and they will not be voting liberal. I think a lot pf people will be holding their noses and voting someone else. If the NDP get in what ever samll business is left will be gone.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2017 at 3:31 PM, ?Impact said:

Patrick Brown and the Ontario PCs have released their "People`s Guarantee" which is essentially the beginning of their 2018 election campaign. This includes:

• 22.5% lower income taxes for middle class (his definition appears to be people earning less than $86k)
  • 75% refund of child care expenses
  • 12% more off your hydro bill
  • Largest mental health commitment in Canadian provincial history
  • First-ever Trust, Integrity, and Accountability Act

I need to study the final two, but does anyone believe the first three are anything but empty promises or continued increase in our public debt? They are claiming they will run a $2.8 billion deficit (up from a projected surplus of the current government) in the first year and then return to surplus.

The conservative party of Ontario is dead.  Its a combination of a horrible Mike Harris government who scared this province by running up the debt and cutting services while selling off public assets and raising taxes.  All the worse parts of conservatism none of the benefits.  I'll give Harper this, at least he cut some taxes, although he raised income taxes.

It is impossible for a conservative government, with actual conservative policies to take place because of the large government sector workers.  If he wanted to get elected, he'd need to cut income taxes for those earnings under 100k in half.  22.5% lower taxes is 10% to 7.5% = nothing.

On 1/13/2018 at 1:11 PM, PIK said:

And all the small business people have families also and they will not be voting liberal. I think a lot pf people will be holding their noses and voting someone else. If the NDP get in what ever samll business is left will be gone.

For every small business owner, there are you know, bunches and bunches of WORKERS who outnumber them.  Conservatives need to win in large cities, its not easy for them to do.  Wynne has given free university, $15 an hour wage after the election that Brown will repeal.  How can Brown compete with that?  Wynne has a strong progressive agenda.

4 hours ago, H10 said:

For every small business owner, there are you know, bunches and bunches of WORKERS who outnumber them.  Conservatives need to win in large cities, its not easy for them to do.  Wynne has given free university, $15 an hour wage after the election that Brown will repeal.  How can Brown compete with that?  Wynne has a strong progressive agenda.

If by strong progressive agenda you mean totally dishonest and corrupt agenda then you are 100% correct.

On 12/4/2017 at 12:30 PM, Boges said:

Yeah....the Conservatives had a huge lead going into the last 2 elections too....there is still plenty of time for Brown to step on his di**. 

Honestly, Brown really does not offer alternatives, nothing to differentiate him form the Libs, nothing indicating he will roll any policies back, nothing new to offer. I mean, he din't even make a good opposition, always seemingly in agreement with the Libs. Why would I want to vote for him except to change the portrait in the halls of the legislature.

Because the PCs aren't Corrupt AF. 

The platform is a move to the middle. So Liberals will say they'll do anything to get elected (which is the most ironic thing I've ever heard). If the platform was a move to the right like Hudak's platform they'd cry about a return to the Harris years. 

I suspect member Pete_Coach wouldn't vote for anyone but the Liberals regardless of their platform. 

Edited by Boges

21 hours ago, AngusThermopyle said:

If by strong progressive agenda you mean totally dishonest and corrupt agenda then you are 100% correct.

I agree she is corrupt but free university and $15 hourly min wage, is progressive.  She beat the conservatives and they are done for decades now.

32 minutes ago, AngusThermopyle said:

Progressive? So blatantly buying votes at the tax payers expense is now considered to be a progressive attribute?

'Buying votes' meaning making policy changes that people will vote for as far as I can tell here.  If politicians pull themselves to the top of the polls by playing off irrational fears, is that better ?  I don't think so.

I am not a fan of the Liberal party, however their button-mashing politics is.... politics.  No provincial party is above politics.

17 hours ago, AngusThermopyle said:

Progressive? So blatantly buying votes at the tax payers expense is now considered to be a progressive attribute?

If you consider that vote buying.  I think the closest thing to vote buying are refundable tax credits. That being said I think people are getting too much money for having kids, they need to stop this, I know 4 Egyptian muslim families, both parents on welfare, 4-6 kids in each family and they get more money than people who work full time jobs from the government plus welfare money and they get free food and clothes from charities.

14 hours ago, betsy said:

This is depressing.   Boy, I don't want to see another term for Wynne the pooh. 

She will win.  Brown has failed to differentiate himself.  He is basically liberal lite.  His tax cuts are anemic and offer no relief to the middle class or working class or single income people who really could use a steep tax cut.

I am not a conservative, but if I was consulting to them, to beat Wynne they'd need to offer a tax holiday to people earning under $100,000 a year.  One year, no taxes, no provincial sales tax, no income tax, NONE.  Throw on some refundable tax credits after that and he'd win in a landslide.  A 22% tax cut on a 10% rate for someone earning $35,000 a year is not even $500.

2 hours ago, H10 said:

I am not a conservative, but if I was consulting to them, to beat Wynne they'd need to offer a tax holiday to people earning under $100,000 a year.

Does balancing the budget fit in there somewhere? I believe that would result in about $70 billion deficit.