Disaster in Texas

4 hours ago, Boges said:

I know, but that was predicted back when Katrina happened. There hadn't been a major Hurricane hit the US for like 12 years. 

I'm not saying Climate change doesn't exist, but using major Hurricanes as evidence is as dumb as when people claim Climate Change is bunk when it's really cold. 

Harvey was a bad weather event less because it was a strong Hurricane than because a set of high pressure systems kept it right over the Houston area for like 4 days. 

The extremity of these weather events have changed. That's the evidence. 

38 minutes ago, Boges said:

Really? because a Hurricane like this one happened in the Early 90's. 

Not only is it the increasing severity of storms, but also rising ocean temperatures, deterioration of ice sheets, rising sea levels, northern migration of arable land (which could actually benefit Canada). There is lots of evidence that points to global warming. The argument seems to revolve mostly around how significantly human activity has contributed to it.  

12 minutes ago, Omni said:

Not only is it the increasing severity of storms, but also rising ocean temperatures, deterioration of ice sheets, rising sea levels, northern migration of arable land (which could actually benefit Canada). There is lots of evidence that points to global warming. The argument seems to revolve mostly around how significantly human activity has contributed to it.  

Yet as the article that was posted notes, Harvey is the first major Hurricane to hit the US in 12 years. 

The trade-off argument doesn't work either because this year is an uncommonly busy Hurricane season. They're already at name K. Only Irma has been a Cat 5 so far. I experienced Tropical Storm Franklin on vacation in Mexico earlier this summer. 

Harvey became catastrophic because of high pressure systems keeping it in place for several days, in fact it actually backed up into the Gulf of Mexico and hit the coast again. People in Houston thought they were home free then feeder band after feeder band hit them (overnight Saturday) with several feet of rain because the storm was going no where. At that point Harvey was downgraded to a Tropical Storm. 

I'd like to see data that says high pressure trapping low pressure systems are a result of climate change.

I'm not denying climate change but I'm super annoyed that the same people that say weather isn't climate when it's cold are saying that Irma and Harvey are irrefutable evidence of climate change. If next year is a mild Hurricane season, no one is going to say that Climate Change is fixed. 

Edited by Boges

2 minutes ago, Boges said:

Yet as the article that was posted notes, Harvey is the first major Hurricane to hit the US in 12 years. 

The trade-off argument doesn't work either because this year is an uncommonly busy Hurricane season. They're already at name K. Only Irma has been a Cat 5 so far. 

Harvey became catastrophic because of high pressure systems keeping it in place for several days, in fact it actually backed up into the Gulf of Mexico and hit the coast again. People in Houston thought they were home free then feeder band after feeder band hit them (overnight Saturday) with several feet of rain because the storm was going no where. At that point Harvey was downgraded to a Tropical Storm. 

I'd like to see data that says high pressure is a result of climate change. 

I'm not denying climate change but I'm super annoyed that the same people that say weather isn't climate when it's cold are saying that Irma and Harvey are irrefutable evidence of climate change. If next year is a mild Hurricane season, no one is going to say that Climate Change is fixed. 

I don't think anyone who understand the difference between weather and climate would single out one significant event of the former irrefutable proof of the latter. It's when you witness the combined evidences all pointing the same direction that we need to sit up and take notice.  

4 minutes ago, Omni said:

I don't think anyone who understand the difference between weather and climate would single out one significant event of the former irrefutable proof of the latter. It's when you witness the combined evidences all pointing the same direction that we need to sit up and take notice.  

And these two hurricanes don't necessarily do that when you consider the last decade haven't seen so many catastrophic Atlantic hurricanes. Perhaps a larger sample size would be helpful but we haven't seen a year even close to what was seen in 2005 since. Even this year isn't as bad. . . yet. 

Edited by Boges
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Boges said:

And these two hurricanes don't necessarily do that when you consider the last decade haven't seen so many catastrophic Atlantic hurricanes. Perhaps a larger sample size would be helpful but we haven't seen a year even close to what was seen in 2005 since, even this year isn't as bad. . . yet. 

But don't focus only on storms. There actually have been storms/hurricanes all along, we just didn't hear about them because they burned themselves at sea where they started, or didn't come ashore in our news coverage area. However there are also other indicators such as: in the last 20 years the ice pack in the arctic has diminished by roughly 800,000 sq. km.  Then there is the significant ice melt on Greenland and the slippage of the Thwaites Glacier in the antarctic. And as I mentioned earlier the northern migration of arable land. Good if you're in Canada, not so good if you're in Mexico.  And if the Thwaites continues to slip into the sea, I suggest not buying any seaside property in Florida.  

1 hour ago, Omni said:

But don't focus only on storms. There actually have been storms/hurricanes all along, we just didn't hear about them because they burned themselves at sea where they started, or didn't come ashore in our news coverage area. However there are also other indicators such as: in the last 20 years the ice pack in the arctic has diminished by roughly 800,000 sq. km.  Then there is the significant ice melt on Greenland and the slippage of the Thwaites Glacier in the antarctic. And as I mentioned earlier the northern migration of arable land. Good if you're in Canada, not so good if you're in Mexico.  And if the Thwaites continues to slip into the sea, I suggest not buying any seaside property in Florida.  

Sea Ice and Water Temperature are measurable things that you most certainly can attribute to climate change. But a small sample size of the 2017 Atlantic Hurricane season is not evidence. 

5 minutes ago, Boges said:

Sea Ice and Water Temperature are measurable things that you most certainly can attribute to climate change. But a small sample size of the 2017 Atlantic Hurricane season is not evidence. 

Exactly. Don't focus on one hurricane season, or the lack thereof. Pay attention to the overwhelming consortium of evidence that point in the same direction.

3 minutes ago, Omni said:

Exactly. Don't focus on one hurricane season, or the lack thereof. Pay attention to the overwhelming consortium of evidence that point in the same direction.

Well this is a thread about Hurricanes. Specifically the one in Southeast Texas. 

This thread drift was started because posters WERE indicating these storms were evidence of Climate Change. 

Edited by Boges

12 minutes ago, Boges said:

Well this is a thread about Hurricanes. Specifically the one in Southeast Texas. 

This thread drift was started because posters WERE indicating these storms were evidence of Climate Change. 

Yes I guess I have contributed to thread drift (again) but I am certainly focused on the next disaster headed for basically the same area. Irma, and then there is Juan right behind. And then you said there is a "K". I feel for the people in their wake.

4 minutes ago, Omni said:

Yes I guess I have contributed to thread drift (again) but I am certainly focused on the next disaster headed for basically the same area. Irma, and then there is Juan right behind. And then you said there is a "K". I feel for the people in their wake.

The storm behind it is Jose. The radar images don't seem to indicate a well defined storm. 

The K storm Katia actually developed in the Gulf of Mexico. The 2nd or 3rd to hit that area. It's also not very organized but like with Harvey, it seems to just be sitting there. 

17 minutes ago, Boges said:

The storm behind it is Jose. The radar images don't seem to indicate a well defined storm. 

The K storm Katia actually developed in the Gulf of Mexico. The 2nd or 3rd to hit that area. It's also not very organized but like with Harvey, it seems to just be sitting there. 

Sitting the is usually bad. That's how they suck up heat and moisture kinda like a murderer loading his gun. 

And if you look at a sat. photo around 10N 20W you can see the potential of storm "Larry, Lloyd, Liam" whatever the next name is available.

ir_ICAO-A_bw.jpg

Edited by Omni

18 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Nice image....thank you U.S. government NOAA and National Weather Service.

I agree.

Here is more information from NOAA:

Climate Change and Variability

According to the third U.S. National Climate Assessment, “Global climate is changing and this is apparent across the United States in a wide range of observations. The global warming of the past 50 years is primarily due to human activities, predominantly the burning of fossil fuels.”

33 minutes ago, marcus said:

According to the third U.S. National Climate Assessment, “Global climate is changing and this is apparent across the United States in a wide range of observations. The global warming of the past 50 years is primarily due to human activities, predominantly the burning of fossil fuels.”

Yes....the United States government has funded more climate data collection, analysis, and research than any other nation in the world.

NASA and NOAA are not Canadian.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

12 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Yes....the United States government has funded more climate data collection, analysis, and research than any other nation in the world.

NASA and NOAA are not Canadian.

There's obviously a vast difference between one's capacity to fund and facilitate research and another to understand the results - thankfully countries like Canada know how to do the latter.

12 minutes ago, eyeball said:

There's obviously a vast difference between one's capacity ....

There sure is...that's why Environment Canada depends on U.S. government agencies and resources for climate change and weather observation.

https://weather.gc.ca/satellite/index_e.html

" Satellites: (All satellite data courtesy of NOAA) "

Edited by bush_cheney2004

17 minutes ago, Omni said:

Captain Obvious is Canadian? No wonder I find him so irritating and boring. Now Trivago Guy I can easily endure. Umh, he's American.

"I was born in Houston and we spent a lot of time between there and New York, as my dad was the head golf pro at a private country club,"

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/whats-the-deal-with-the-trivago-guy-meet-tvs-sloppy-sexy-pitchman-20140731

On 9/2/2017 at 5:38 AM, Cum Laude said:

Interesting side effect from this natural disaster – we are seeing, slightly, a return to the old ways, in that people called “reporters” are going to the Houston area and telling us about what we can see happening. Of course, they are still devoting plenty of time in critiquing Donald Trump’s every word and perceived thought. That isn’t really reporting the news, because the news is a major city has been hit by a hurricane. Notice when we see actual reporting, we see a very different picture of what America and Americans are like.
We are pretty good people. I did happen to switch over to CBS last night, and they were taking time too do a rundown of various minor local stories, carefully curated to portray America as a racist cruel uncaring country. That’s not what I see in Houston.
Now why would the MSM, and their minions in the Democratic Party, want to divide the races like that?

Because that is what the liberals and democrats and the liberal media are very good at. Divide the people and conquer. The age old liberal/communist trick of politics. It must really hurt the fake and lying media these days when they really have to do some real reporting on real news, and have to forget about reporting on Trump for awhile. They probably say to themselves, dam that hurricane, getting in the way of our reporting on Trump.