The next Governor General

It appears Justin has made his selection for Governor General to replace David Johnston, whose term ends in September. The person's name will be disclosed at the end of the month. There were calls to name an Indigenous Canadian to the post but it appears that will not happen.

When asked about it last year, Trudeau raised expectations the monarch’s next representative might be indigenous.

“When it comes to a choice about who will fill (Johnston’s) big shoes, I can assure you I will take into account the nature of Canada and the desire of Canadians to see institutions and appointments across the government that reflect the diversity of Canada,” he told CBC.

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/john-ivison-indigenous-candidates-likely-to-be-overlooked-in-choice-of-next-governor-general/wcm/aab4a600-1595-45d5-afa8-1e46a8ea7d9b

Notice the headline in the same link.

Sources suggest that, despite Trudeau's previous comments, the new gov. gen. will not be indigenous because a candidate emerged who was 'too spectacular to say no to'

Could that be Peter Mansbridge? Or some other illustrious CBC or Radio Canada personality? Ex-Ontario MPP Madeleine Meilleur? Who won the lottery?

3 hours ago, capricorn said:

It appears Justin has made his selection for Governor General to replace David Johnston, whose term ends in September. The person's name will be disclosed at the end of the month. There were calls to name an Indigenous Canadian to the post but it appears that will not happen.

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/john-ivison-indigenous-candidates-likely-to-be-overlooked-in-choice-of-next-governor-general/wcm/aab4a600-1595-45d5-afa8-1e46a8ea7d9b

Notice the headline in the same link.

Could that be Peter Mansbridge? Or some other illustrious CBC or Radio Canada personality? Ex-Ontario MPP Madeleine Meilleur? Who won the lottery?

The rumor is its Chris Hadfield.

5 minutes ago, capricorn said:

That would be an excellent choice. But in thinking about it...2 white anglophone guys in a row? Uh oh...there would be grumblings.

I agree that a white male anglo seems an unlikely choice for Trudeau, but that's the rumor.  Is it possible Hadfield is gay? That would definitely endear him to Trudeau.

Edited by Argus

20 minutes ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

Hadfield would be a great choice. The process should be at arm's length from the PM, though. It's a bit unseemly for the head of government to be appointing the acting head of state who is supposed to a nonpartisan safeguard against the abuse of power.

Johnston was selected by a committee, not by Harper himself.

2 hours ago, capricorn said:

Johnston was selected by a committee, not by Harper himself.

Didn't he handpick the committee and select Johnston from their shortlist?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/editorials/david-johnston-a-worthy-viceroy/article4323487/?arc404=true

Anyway, there should be clear water between the PM and the appointment of the GG. 

From your link.

He established a non-partisan "eminent persons" committee of six to provide a short-list of candidates. The group included Kevin MacLeod, Usher of the Black Rod and Canadian secretary to the Queen, Sheila-Marie Cook, secretary to the Governor-General, Father Jacques Monet of the Canadian Institute of Jesuit Studies, Christopher Manfredi, dean of the Faculty of Arts at McGill, University of Calgary political scientist Rainer Knopff and historian Christopher McCreery, private secretary to the Lieutenant-Governor of Nova Scotia. They canvassed more than 200 people for suggestions, including premiers, civic leaders, former prime ministers and even opposition leaders Michael Ignatieff and Jack Layton.

It was from their shortlist, which included other distinguished Canadians, such as soldier and diplomat John de Chastelain and John Fraser, the master of Massey College, that Mr. Johnston's name was selected by Mr. Harper, who provided his advice to the Queen. The dignified selection process, and the resulting appointment, which takes effect with Mr. Johnston's installation on Oct. 1, are worthy of the office of Governor-General.

Will Justin follow the same process? My gut says no, cause he is hell bent on rolling back Harper's initiatives and does not want to emulate him. That's not meant as a criticism because all Prime Ministers from different parties do it. Let's see how this unfolds.

12 minutes ago, capricorn said:

Julie Payette will be the next Governor General. This is true to tradition, alternating between one Anglo then one Franco.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/former-astronaut-julie-payette-to-be-named-canadas-next-governor-general/article35671514/

Why do we have to alternate between an Anglophone and a francophone anyway? Non-patriotic Quebec has already shown us that they do not want to be a part of Canada. It should be given to a patriotic Anglophone Canadian rather than to a non-patriotic one who may come from a non-patritotic province. Just saying.  

39 minutes ago, taxme said:

Why do we have to alternate between an Anglophone and a francophone anyway? Non-patriotic Quebec has already shown us that they do not want to be a part of Canada. It should be given to a patriotic Anglophone Canadian rather than to a non-patriotic one who may come from a non-patritotic province. Just saying.  

Georges Vanier was the first francophone GG in Canada, named by Diefenbaker - preceded by Vincent Massey (brother of the Hollywood actor, and first GG actually born in Canada). Before that, all were British males. My personal favourite GG is the guy who wrote "The 39 Steps" - good book, good ,movie.

Quebec? Taxme, there are many French-speaking people who live outside Quebec and indeed Michaëlle Jean was, like John Buchan, born abroad.

I'm not even certain that there is an alternance anymore or if it could be measured: is Justin Trudeau an anglophone or francophone? Three of his four grandparents had English as a mother tongue; it happens that he has a French family name.

I didn't like the choice of Michaëlle Jean, just as I dislike the apparent choice (?) of Julie Payette. The federal Liberals seem to view the choice of GG as a Hollywood casting decision. I think that they're wrong.

======

For the record, I favour a Federal Republic of Canada. We should have a ceremonial (but critical at times) president, a representative of the State (Head of State) chosen by gawd-knows-what-means. Finland and Germany have such.

We would still have a PM (Head of Government) and parliament etc. 

Edited by August1991

One for the astronauts. At least Payette has done something difficult and dangerous in her life. If we just reserved it for astronauts from now on we'd make the whole thing a lot simpler and Marc Garneau would get to win at last. The struggles of man must look small indeed when you've been up there.

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

14 hours ago, capricorn said:

Julie Payette will be the next Governor General. This is true to tradition, alternating between one Anglo then one Franco.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/former-astronaut-julie-payette-to-be-named-canadas-next-governor-general/article35671514/

The 'tradition' established by a Francophone, of course, despite Francophone only making up about a fifth of the population and having little to no interest in the Queen or her representative. 

Anyway, it makes more sense than Hadfield from the perspective of shiny pony. There is no way he would appoint a straight white anglo male if he had any choice in the matter.

Edited by Argus

13 hours ago, August1991 said:

I'm not even certain that there is an alternance anymore or if it could be measured: is Justin Trudeau an anglophone or francophone?

Most definitely a Francophone and a Quebecer. By his own previous statements he is a Quebecer first and a Canadian a very distant second (like almost all French Quebecers).

Edited by Argus

23 hours ago, Argus said:

Most definitely a Francophone and a Quebecer. By his own previous statements he is a Quebecer first and a Canadian a very distant second (like almost all French Quebecers).

His French was criticized in the campaign, though:

http://montrealgazette.com/news/a-look-at-the-quality-of-the-french-spoken-by-party-leaders

It is your system but I'll still say that in my opinion it is not right that the PM has the say who becomes GG who, after all, as being the Queen's representative has at least a formal role of being a watchdog of the government.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, -TSS- said:

It is your system but I'll still say that in my opinion it is not right that the PM has the say who becomes GG who, after all, as being the Queen's representative has at least a formal role of being a watchdog of the government.

I've been saying this for a long time but I seem to be talking to myself over here. Perhaps as an immigrant I am missing some important element of the story. Anyway, despite my misgivings about the process that selected him, I think David Johnston has been an excellent GG who has worked incredibly hard to reach out to all Canadians. He has set a high bar for his successor. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland
  • Like 1

On 2017-07-12 at 3:14 PM, SpankyMcFarland said:

The process should be at arm's length from the PM, though. It's a bit unseemly for the head of government to be appointing the acting head of state who is supposed to a nonpartisan safeguard against the abuse of power.

Speaking of which I'm thinking Trudeau must be kicking himself that he didn't turn to a selection process similar to Harper's. Perhaps then it would have been discovered that Madame Payette had an assault charge expunged from the record in 2011 and, hit and killed a pedestrian. Trudeau refuses to answer whether he was aware of this before selecting her for the vice-regal position.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s pick for governor general has come under scrutiny for reportedly failing to disclose an expunged assault charge lodged against her back in 2011 while she was living in the U.S.

The assault charge was reportedly discovered by iPolitics in what it called a routine background check on the former astronaut. The alleged offence took place on November 24, 2011, at Piney Point, Md and has since been removed from Payette’s record.

---

The record appears to show Payette was charged under Section 3-203 of the Maryland Code, with punishment carrying a jail term of up to a decade and $2,500 USD in fines. On December 8, 2011, the assault case was entered as nolle prosequi, meaning either the victim refused to press charges, a witness recanted or the district attorney sees little chance of conviction, iPolitics reported.

Second-degree assault charges are often laid when a person is accused of causing physical injury to another person or by making them fearful of harm.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/governor-general-designate-julie-payette-reportedly-2011-assault-charges-expunged-150733506.html

Trudeau, on a roll for shooting himself in the foot.

Imagine if David Johnston was ever accused of beating his wife and killing a person in a car? 

Either JT is incompetent for not properly vetting Payette or he just didn't care cuz she's a Francophone woman who's been in Space.

The Liberals love Hab goalies and people who've been in space.  

Edited by Boges
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, capricorn said:

Speaking of which I'm thinking Trudeau must be kicking himself that he didn't turn to a selection process similar to Harper's. Perhaps then it would have been discovered that Madame Payette had an assault charge expunged from the record in 2011 and, hit and killed a pedestrian. Trudeau refuses to answer whether he was aware of this before selecting her for the vice-regal position.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/governor-general-designate-julie-payette-reportedly-2011-assault-charges-expunged-150733506.html

Trudeau, on a roll for shooting himself in the foot.

Harper's was unsatisfactory as well. In essence, he controlled the pick. The pick was better vetted than here but the principle should be that the process for choosing the GG should not involve the PM at all. 

Hab goalies and astronauts have actually done something in their lives. The current embarrassment doesn't reflect on the others.