Compensating Khadr

Just now, drummindiver said:

Lol.... 

You either  have none of the facts or twist it to fit  your anti Canadian/American views.

He got off easy because he plead guilty. You know why he plead guilty? Because he was and confessed .

Allahu Ahkbar.

He plead guilty so he could get out of Gitmo. Who could blame him after ten years locked up with no council.  

16 minutes ago, jacee said:

The Supreme Court has already ruled on the mistakes made by governments.

The supreme court ruled that his rights were violated by an improper interrogation carried out by the Canadian government and CSIS, there was nothing in their ruling that said he was entitled to compensation.

Khadr was airlifted to Bagram, the largest U.S. military base in Afghanistan, where he received further medical attention and was subject to initial questioning. Here Khadr stated that “he felt happy when he heard he had killed an American” and signed a statement of facts confessing to the murder of Sgt. Speer. Khadr later claimed the confession was the result of torture and coercion, but a military judge ruled that Khadr signed the statement after he learned investigators had found a videotape showing him building IEDs.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/a-jihadist-hits-the-jackpot/article/2008843

Upon his release from prison in 2015 Khadr was asked if he would categorically denounce violent jihad. “It’s not something I believe in right now,” said a coy Khadr. Right now. The Trudeau government should hope, in the wake of this highly publicized and deeply unpopular cash settlement, that violent jihad is not something Omar Khadr ever revisits.

Sheesh......I really hope we're watching this psychopath.

54 minutes ago, Peter F said:

Not at all. I think it would have been fine to do so. It's also fine to avoid all that and come to a mutually agreed upon settlement. 

Most Canadians disagree with you.

Most Canadians Diaagree With Khadr Deal

The decision to settle this case was not made with the best interest of Canadians in mind, it was not made by Canadians.  The decision to settle with Khadr instead of bringing it before the scrutiny of the court was Justin Trudeau and the liberal party.  I dont know if this is going to impact his popularity or not, but one thing's for sure regardless...Trudeau is going to be wearing it.

26 minutes ago, Spiderfish said:

I dont know if this is going to impact his popularity or not, but one thing's for sure regardless...Trudeau is going to be wearing it.

And just around the corner lurk the problems plaguing the Murdered and Missing Indigenous Women and Girls Inquiry. Am I the only one smelling a prorogation of Parliament this fall?

10 minutes ago, Spiderfish said:

Who do you think, genius?

Try reading my entire post if youre having trouble with it.

I think once Canadians understand that not settling now would simply have driven the costs much higher, they will see why it was an obvious choice.

1 minute ago, Omni said:

I think once Canadians understand that not settling now would simply have driven the costs much higher, they will see why it was an obvious choice.

The thing is Omni, Canadians are used to governments spending taxpayer money on a whim. But if they think that an expenditure is made based on a principle they believe in, they won't denounce it. In the Khadr case they are incensed at the payout.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drummindiver said:

As has been pointed out to you with cites he had council almost from the get go....in Gitmo 

Unh ... No.

Good grief, you really have no clue at all about the facts.

Do you ever read anything, or do you just spout off in complete ignorance?

12 minutes ago, capricorn said:

The thing is Omni, Canadians are used to governments spending taxpayer money on a whim. But if they think that an expenditure is made based on a principle they believe in, they won't denounce it. In the Khadr case they are incensed at the payout.

Because some people get off on being jacked up on hate.

Facts mean nothing.

1 hour ago, Spiderfish said:

The supreme court ruled that his rights were violated by an improper interrogation carried out by the Canadian government and CSIS, there was nothing in their ruling that said he was entitled to compensation.

Khadr's lawsuit against the government requested compensation. Based on that SCoC finding of fault against the government, compensation was inevitable.