Compensating Khadr

26 minutes ago, Hudson Jones said:

The widow and family of Christopher Speer have been awarded  $134-million (U.S.) by a U.S. court in a ruling alleging Khadr killed the American soldier and partially blinded another. 

That Speer was killed while serving his country is a tragic loss.

But why would his family be entitled to such a massive sum? Speer was killed in battle, he was not murdered in his bed.

If Speer’s loss is worth $134-million, why wouldn't the deaths of every one of the Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan be worth the same?

Agreed.  The guy was killed in battle.  Khadr killed him in battle.  Khadr was captured in battle.  Put him in a POW camp until the war is over.  Make sure he gets his Red Cross parcels and don't let him practice gymnastics.

15 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Agreed.  The guy was killed in battle.  Khadr killed him in battle.  Khadr was captured in battle.  Put him in a POW camp until the war is over.  Make sure he gets his Red Cross parcels and don't let him practice gymnastics.

If it was Khadr's father, okay.

But Khadr was a child soldier who confessed under torture. 

Just now, Hudson Jones said:

Put some skittles and a colouring book in the Red Cross parcel...

1 hour ago, Hudson Jones said:

I confess too, to having taken off one day from an airport in northern Haiti (Gonaive) heading north over Cuba. I spoke to my co and I said "lets  go right over Gitmo" (which was a violation of air regs as the US military had designated it restricted airspace) My ire was based on the idea that how can the US lease some land, open a prison on it, and say US law doesn't apply because it's not actually US soil, but then say they can apply US law to the airspace over it. I recall both of my middle fingers were twitching as we went by. I guess we are lucky we didn't get shot down.

10 hours ago, Hudson Jones said:

To call Khadr a terrorist or murderer is ludicrous in the extreme – the incident that led to his capture was clearly a firefight with distinct combatants on both sides. Nobody was out to terrorize anybody.

He was a Canadian citizen killing Americans and Canadians after training in terrorist camps to do just that. Actual definition of murderer/terrorist. 

10 hours ago, Omni said:

And that right there, if you had any knowledge of law, you would know is illegal. That would be like you hiring a lawyer because you had a charge against you, and having that lawyer divulge to the crown prosecutor what you said in confidence.

Agreed that was illegal.....everyone has agreed that wasnt cool. The rest of your nonsense never happened.

7 hours ago, Omni said:

I confess too, to having taken off one day from an airport in northern Haiti (Gonaive) heading north over Cuba. I spoke to my co and I said "lets  go right over Gitmo" (which was a violation of air regs as the US military had designated it restricted airspace) My ire was based on the idea that how can the US lease some land, open a prison on it, and say US law doesn't apply because it's not actually US soil, but then say they can apply US law to the airspace over it. I recall both of my middle fingers were twitching as we went by. I guess we are lucky we didn't get shot down.

Your love of Khadr and his clan is based on your bigotry of the US. 

Guess you'd rather have Sharia than democracy. No worries, with the way things are going it will happen sooner rather than later. Drink up now while you still can. 

8 minutes ago, drummindiver said:

Guess you'd rather have Sharia than democracy. 

Can't you just have a real dialogue ?  You have to make up vile crap about people you're debating with ?  What's wrong with you ?   Would you be fine with somebody telling you on here that because you're against the Kadr settlement you enjoy chopping up Muslim babies ?

This kind of hyperbole pushes aside anyone who can discuss things thoughtfully and objectively.

Actually you should just leave on your own, that would be great.

2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Can't you just have a real dialogue ?  You have to make up vile crap about people you're debating with ?  What's wrong with you ?   Would you be fine with somebody telling you on here that because you're against the Kadr settlement you enjoy chopping up Muslim babies ?

This kind of hyperbole pushes aside anyone who can discuss things thoughtfully and objectively.

Actually you should just leave on your own, that would be great.

Lol.

Nice to see you again Michael, showing why the moderation on this site was so heavy handed to a certain political bent.

As per usual the left  (ie you) wants to shut down any dialogue that opposes their opinion. 

16 hours ago, jacee said:

I say wait for the appeal process. If the US actually allows it to proceed, they'll have to produce their evidence.

But I suspect they'll find a quick technical reason to overturn his conviction to avoid producing the truth. IE, because he was coerced into 'confessing' under threat of returning to Gitmo indefinitely with no trial.

This is a real problem for politicians who would dearly love to cater to the wishes of the assholes who can't stand Khadr, doing so undermines a narrative that protects them from real charges stemming from the Geneva Convention. It is vital that Khadr never ever be officially acknowledged as a child or a soldier. Of course the trade-off is that our society and politics will become increasingly poisonous and dysfunctional - just like a family or community that is unable to acknowledge or deal with child abuse or addiction and the host of social ills that go along with these.

6 minutes ago, eyeball said:

What war, against whose country and army? Can you show me the official declaration?

No, but then, people have been killed, so just put him in one until they stop.

Edit>  I should just add, so you don't think I'm being mean, that should apply to anyone on the other side that they don't kill.  Not just money boy.

Edited by bcsapper

1 hour ago, drummindiver said:

Lol.

Nice to see you again Michael, showing why the moderation on this site was so heavy handed to a certain political bent.

As per usual the left  (ie you) wants to shut down any dialogue that opposes their opinion. 

And as per usual the left always emerges as the perennial bogyman that's fucking everything up.

It would be nice if we could keep killing proxies in other people's country's forever so we can avoid having to kill each other here but the day of our reckoning is inevitable. Eventually we will have to bury our hatchets in our own heads ourselves.

14 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Put him in what POW camp until who stops?

I don't get paid to figure out those details, eyeball.  I look at the big picture.

Seriously though.  What do they do with an ISIS member they happen not to kill?

Just now, bcsapper said:

I don't get paid to figure out those details, eyeball. 

You get to vote for people who do. How's that been working out for you?  

I look at the big picture.

Seriously though.  What do they do with an ISIS member they happen not to kill?

I'm looking at the very same picture you are but I'm be more interested in knowing who we negotiate the end of the war with. 

13 minutes ago, eyeball said:

You get to vote for people who do. How's that been working out for you?  

I keep being overruled.  You?

I'm looking at the very same picture you are but I'm be more interested in knowing who we negotiate the end of the war with. 

I doubt anyone can.  Too fragmented and fractious an enemy, driven by a belief in the supernatural.

45 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

I doubt anyone can.  Too fragmented and fractious an enemy, driven by a belief in the supernatural.

Our alliance is just as crippled by the same thing for the very same reason.

This of course should have been apparent to anyone that was paying attention to both the bigger picture and the little details 15 years ago.

Edited by eyeball

33 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Our alliance is just as crippled by the same thing for the very same reason.

This of course should have been apparent to anyone that was paying attention to both the bigger picture and the little details 15 years ago.

I must have had a good book going or something...

2 hours ago, eyeball said:

This is a real problem for politicians who would dearly love to cater to the wishes of the assholes who can't stand Khadr, doing so undermines a narrative that protects them from real charges stemming from the Geneva Convention. It is vital that Khadr never ever be officially acknowledged as a child or a soldier. Of course the trade-off is that our society and politics will become increasingly poisonous and dysfunctional - just like a family or community that is unable to acknowledge or deal with child abuse or addiction and the host of social ills that go along with these.

The terrorists are winning.