Compensating Khadr

1 hour ago, jacee said:

But hey, beat your head against the wall and wallow in your hate.

You're only poisoning yourself. :P

You're so quick to call out any disageement with this settlement as hate; the only hate I see being demonstrated is the sardonic contemptuous hatred you show toward those who are in disagreement with your position.  But don't let this stop you from getting your contemptous hate on for 71% of Canadians who disagree with your narrow minded position.  Your hypocrisy apparently know no bounds.

2 hours ago, capricorn said:

Here it is folks, the obligatory reference to Harper. The fact is if Harper had fought it, it would have been for principled reasons. Instead, we have Justin and his Liberals backing down because they declare "it would have cost us more to fight it", when all the while in large measure the true reason is it was to shield their former PMs Chretien and Martin from having to take the stand and to protect the Liberal brand. Hypocrites the bunch of them.

That's an interesting point.

But then Harper would have had to testify too.

Would have been quite the sh!t show.

:o

1 hour ago, OftenWrong said:

Yes, the laws, constitution or what have you are what they are. That is not going to change any time soon, and so here is the result. This is a total morass, and I mean mor-ass. My view is that he was not initially responsible for what happened, his fate was sealed. But that doesn't change the fact of what he is, and has done.

What angers me is that these kind of political/judicial/administrative errors are the result of bungling fools who have no accountability for their actions. Successive Canadian and US governments were involved, as well as various intelligence agencies and courts. These bungling jackasses should be held responsible for giving away my tax money to a person who is a traitor and killer, a maker of IED's no less. They made him and his terrorist-supporting family quite rich. This pisses me off immensely. Mr. Trudeau, please explain to me why I should continue to be honest and fair when paying my taxes.

I suggest we wait for the appeal to see what the evidence says he did do.

However, that won't change what the govs did. 

2 hours ago, capricorn said:

Here it is folks, the obligatory reference to Harper. The fact is if Harper had fought it, it would have been for principled reasons.

I wonder what "principled reasons" you can come up with here. Denying a citizen their statutory rights is not what I would call principled,

12 hours ago, Spiderfish said:

We didn't compensate him because his dad corrupted him.  His charter rights were not violated because his dad "took him down this path".  You have chosen not to accept this so I realize I'm talking to a brick wall, but it was determined that his charter rights were violated by improper interrogation procedures by our Liberal Government and CSIS, and information exchange with the commission...that's it....that's all....That's the extent of the SCOC ruling, period.

There should have been more to it than that - I would have very much enjoyed watching the SCC rip through arguments that the Charter shouldn't apply because an indoctrinated child terrorist should be treated differently than an indoctrinated child soldier.  It would have been great if the SCC could have also clarified and reaffirmed that the hard fought for principles upon which terms like POW, combatant and war crime are built upon still stand.

There is far broader extent of deeper more implicating issues that Mr Khadr's case touch upon - that's the real reason he's such a lighting rod.  You people should be counting your lucky stars the SCC didn't begin the far too long-delayed process of delving into them.

There will one day however be a reconciliation and they will be delved into.  You can only stick your fingers so far into your ears and you can only scream la la la for so long and the more you do the more it will hurt. Reality has a progressive bias and by progressive in the context of Mr Khadr's maltreatment and related deeper issues I sure as f#*k don't mean a Liberal bias - they're as responsible as anyone for steering the country straight into the moral quagmire its up to its hips in.

I bet our grand-pappies would tell us we're in the midst of a defining point of our nation's character.

12 hours ago, Spiderfish said:

It would be interesting to know what would have come out if this case had been argued in court, it's curious to wonder what the Trudeau Liberals are trying to hide by paying Omar off and trying to make this go away instead of putting certain people on the stand under oath and getting to the bottom of what he is really owed through the eyes of a court.  Unfortunately, we will never know.  This is nothing more than another Liberal Government trying to keep from shedding light on something they don't want to open up for public scrutiny.   

I don't buy for one single second that this is about Trudeau trying to be fiscally responsible with taxpayer money and avoid a bigger payout if litigated, as he has said.  Since when has Trudeau had any respect for taxpayer money?  He just spent another quarter of a billion dollars on global family planning, including a fat 20 million dollar donation to the Clinton Foundation of all things.  It's painfully obvious this clown has zero problem throwing loads of money at whatever he feels like, the more the better.

This lawsuit should have gone to court and been decided by a judge, even if it would have ended up costing twice as much.

So you'd like to see some deeper issues brought to light too? That's good...maybe common ground here amidst the muck?

I'll see your case and raise you one Truth and Reconciliation Process.

You all in or not?

14 hours ago, taxme said:

It's over Betsy. The ISIS terrorist got his reward for killing an American soldier thanks to our dear leader PM. What a waste of taxpayer's tax dollars. Tax dollars that could have been better spent and gone to some needy Canadians. This joke of a PM still has two more years to go to continue on with showing us all his true love for Muslim terrorists. And to think that Canadian soldiers died in two world wars for this guy to be able to shaft them and steal their relatives tax dollars and to have to fork over millions of tax dollars to a loser like that Arab. With Muslim terrorists getting rewarded in the millions for their terrorism and killing, and another Muslim in Canada gets $12,000 of taxpayer's tax dollars because someone stepped on his carpet just should show us all by now that Canada is fast becoming a third world multicultural hell hole, and Canadians deserve it because they allow it to keep happening. Where have all the true Canadian patriots gone? Pathetic. :rolleyes: 

The guy who got blinded by Khadr was interviewed by Rosemary Barton.  He called Trudeau a "Khadr groupie."  

8 hours ago, jacee said:

That's an interesting point.

But then Harper would have had to testify too.

Would have been quite the sh!t show.

:o

Why would Harper have to testify about what happened on Chretein/Martins watch?

Showing your HDS again and letting it detract from the facts, which you clearly don't know or just simply don't care.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Omni said:

I wonder what "principled reasons" you can come up with here. Denying a citizen their statutory rights is not what I would call principled,

What statutory right did Harper deny Khadr?

As for principles, for one thing Harper would have waited for the outcome of Khadr's appeal(s) before negotiating a deal on his $20M lawsuit. As it stands, should Khadr's conviction for assorted crimes be upheld, the end result would be that Trudeau concluded a deal with a convicted murderer. On top of it all, if Khadr loses his appeals, he would go back to prison for the remainder of his sentence. I can see it now, Khadr in jail with millions in the bank compliments of underhanded Justin and his Liberals.

For Army Guy:

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/opinion/veterans-khadr-settlement-1.4206063

I understand that veterans are currently stuck with what I and many other Canadians thought was a very stingy benefits package from the Harper administration.

While this is a separate topic from the Khadr settlement, it's easy to see why veterans and many others make a connection.

https://www.google.ca/amp/globalnews.ca/news/3318246/federal-budget-to-bring-back-lifetime-pension-option-for-canadian-veterans/amp/

I think this is a good time to contribute and to lobby government for improvements:

https://woundedwarriors.ca/how-we-help/#donate

https://www.change.org/p/justin-trudeau-treat-disabled-veterans-with-respect-on-cost-of-living-allowance-cola?recruiter=234638316&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jacee said:

I think this is a good time to contribute and to lobby government for improvements:

I say soldiers should sell war bonds for their living so Canadians can be given the opportunity to put their money where their mouths are.

59 minutes ago, Omni said:

That would be the ones the SC ruled on 2010

In that case, the court dealt with the visit of CSIS and Foreign Affairs officials to the prison in 2003 and 2004, under the previous Liberal government.

"The deprivation of [Khadr's] right to liberty and security of the person is not in accordance with the principles of fundamental justice," the court ruled.  

"The interrogation of a youth detained without access to counsel, to elicit statements about serious criminal charges while knowing that the youth had been subjected to sleep deprivation and while knowing that the fruits of the interrogations would be shared with the prosecutors, offends the most basic Canadian standards about the treatment of detained youth suspects."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/omar-khadr-settlement-analysis-aaron-wherry-1.4189472

Clearly, this whole mess originated with the Liberals and they mishandled from day one. But I can understand why so many on here desperately try to shift the blame onto Harper.

It bears repeating that Khadr was repatriated in September 2012 by Harper and his majority government.

4 minutes ago, Omni said:

Harper fought this every step of the way, ad even after he was released from Gitmo Harper tried to keep him in jail here.

https://ipolitics.ca/2017/07/11/whos-to-blame-for-the-khadr-payout-stephen-harper-mostly/

Good. Many Canadians, including me, would have been happy to see this confessed terrorist kept in jail to serve his full sentence, and if possible for the rest of his natural life.

PS: did not bother reading your link as the title told me all I needed to know

Edited by capricorn

17 minutes ago, capricorn said:

Good. Many Canadians, including me, would have been happy to see this confessed terrorist kept in jail to serve his full sentence, and if possible for the rest of his natural life.

PS: did not bother reading your link as the title told me all I needed to know

I thought the righty types were supposed to be all about the rule of law.

5 minutes ago, capricorn said:

The "righty types" believe in law and order, and the protection of citizens. They want criminals and terrorists punished for their deeds.

Then you don't throw citizens in jail for years, deny them legal council, and then coerce them into dubious confessions. 

9 hours ago, betsy said:

The guy who got blinded by Khadr was interviewed by Rosemary Barton.  He called Trudeau a "Khadr groupie."  

Bozo would be a better word for the dear leader. But hey. :)

Btw, our dear leader has decided to give the crooked and lying Clinton's 20 million Canadian tax dollars to help advance gender equality to other countries. What the hell? Well, there goes another twenty million tax dollars down the tubes. By the time the Clinton's take their booty I doubt that there will be very much left to carry out that agenda for the genders. Canada is going from bad to worse everyday. Billions of tax dollars every year being put thru the shredder, and all most members here want to talk about is Trump. Their tax dollars being wasted like this, and no one seems to give a dam. Pathetic.  

Edited by taxme