Compensating Khadr

1 minute ago, capricorn said:

It's all Harper's fault. :lol:

That is what some of the far left wing liberals here want us to believe. They have not convinced me of that yet, and probably never will. Liberals mostly talk for nothing. :D

4 hours ago, jacee said:

For Army Guy:

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/opinion/veterans-khadr-settlement-1.4206063

I understand that veterans are currently stuck with what I and many other Canadians thought was a very stingy benefits package from the Harper administration.

While this is a separate topic from the Khadr settlement, it's easy to see why veterans and many others make a connection.

https://www.google.ca/amp/globalnews.ca/news/3318246/federal-budget-to-bring-back-lifetime-pension-option-for-canadian-veterans/amp/

I think this is a good time to contribute and to lobby government for improvements:

https://woundedwarriors.ca/how-we-help/#donate

https://www.change.org/p/justin-trudeau-treat-disabled-veterans-with-respect-on-cost-of-living-allowance-cola?recruiter=234638316&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink

I agree, and it should be fairly easy considering that Trudeau is telling us he just saved $40mil. by settling the Khadr case..

19 minutes ago, drummindiver said:

If you can cite that I'll shut up about this issue.

19 minutes ago, drummindiver said:

If you can cite that I'll shut up about this issue.

Been cited on here numerous times. I'm busy right now but it won't take you long to google it.

1 hour ago, drummindiver said:

None of which happened in this case.

Still making it up as you go, eh drummindiver.

I say wait for the appeal process. If the US actually allows it to proceed, they'll have to produce their evidence.

But I suspect they'll find a quick technical reason to overturn his conviction to avoid producing the truth. IE, because he was coerced into 'confessing' under threat of returning to Gitmo indefinitely with no trial.

Since he's already served his time, nothing is lost.

Edited by jacee

1 minute ago, drummindiver said:

Lol. Only thing courts ruled on was CSIS interviewed him and shared info. Quit being a drama queen....it doesn't excuse murder and terrorism.

We can only provide you with the facts. If you can't comprehend, or don't want to accept, them that is up to you.

9 minutes ago, drummindiver said:

CSIS interviewed him and shared info

And that right there, if you had any knowledge of law, you would know is illegal. That would be like you hiring a lawyer because you had a charge against you, and having that lawyer divulge to the crown prosecutor what you said in confidence.

The widow and family of Christopher Speer have been awarded  $134-million (U.S.) by a U.S. court in a ruling alleging Khadr killed the American soldier and partially blinded another. 

That Speer was killed while serving his country is a tragic loss.

But why would his family be entitled to such a massive sum? Speer was killed in battle, he was not murdered in his bed.

If Speer’s loss is worth $134-million, why wouldn't the deaths of every one of the Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan be worth the same?

Edited by Hudson Jones