Thus Week in Political Correctness

drummindiver

I think the school went too far, and their actions might have repercussions for the student as well. As the article states many of the students supported the teacher, they will probably feel confused and upset that he was fired over this. Some of them might ostracize her. She seems like a sensitive person and most likely she will continue having problems. What they should have done is kept more control over the situation, keep both the teacher and student calm, and use the moment to actually teach something. Such as- constructive dialog, reconciliation, forgiveness, and most of all how to move past a negative experience.

Edited by OftenWrong

2 hours ago, drummindiver said:

Clearly political correctness is getting out of hand.

That was abundantly clear a number of years ago.

How does the pendulum get back to the middle?

What middle? PC isn't a pendulum, its a multi-laned traffic-jammed freeway that's pushed rational thought into the ditches on either side of it.

Republican State Lawmakers v. Academic Freedom

Missouri State Senator Kurt Schaefer is a Republican from Columbia, home of the Mizzou controversy. Schaefer chairs the state senate's Committee on the Sanctity of Life. As part of his duties he sent a letter late last month to the university claiming that a graduate student who is studying waiting periods for abortion is essentially a “marketing aid for Planned Parenthood.” He wants documentation on how the research was approved and he would like the university to end it.

The university is resisting. “Chancellor [R. Bowen] Loftin has and will continue to strongly support academic freedom and the intellectual property of MU’s students and faculty,” said university spokeswoman Mary Jo Banken.

Story

I wonder how many other teachers in Canada should be fired for hurtful comments in the classroom.

This plucky girl had the fortitude to go tell her administrator the hateful rhetoric being spewed in her class. The sad thing is that this innocent girl could be scarred for life for the hate she had to endure in the classroom, which should be a safe place for all students.

I wonder if schools, public and private, are doing enough to create safe spaces for their stduents? If not, then we need provincial governments to appoint a task force to make sure every school has multiple safe places.

The thing is, if this brave girl did not tell on the teacher, then the teacher would still to this day making hateful and hurtful comments that could damage a fragile young person for life.

9 minutes ago, Cum Laude said:

I wonder how many other teachers in Canada should be fired for hurtful comments in the classroom.

This plucky girl had the fortitude to go tell her administrator the hateful rhetoric being spewed in her class. The sad thing is that this innocent girl could be scarred for life for the hate she had to endure in the classroom, which should be a safe place for all students.

I wonder if schools, public and private, are doing enough to create safe spaces for their stduents? If not, then we need provincial governments to appoint a task force to make sure every school has multiple safe places.

The thing is, if this brave girl did not tell on the teacher, then the teacher would still to this day making hateful and hurtful comments that could damage a fragile young person for life.

I applaud this trolling effort, well done sir. 

1 hour ago, Cum Laude said:

lol...pure satire,  you win  the Internet today

Edited by drummindiver

1 hour ago, Boges said:

I applaud this trolling effort, well done sir. 

I troll in a boat, and usually with great success. Walleye are my favourite.

However, my comment was from the heart. This nonsense has to stop. We cannot allow teachers to make hateful tirades that may hurt the feelings of any student.

Let me ask you; don't you feel the firing is justified? I for one applaud these hard - assed administartors.

The creative destruction approach?  Encourage the flames of silliness in hopes it starts a conflagration. It's like the Buddhist precept that the path to enlightenemt is painful - hit the bottom and then take it from there. It seems pretty unavoidable at this point so we might as well embrace the horror.

2 hours ago, Cum Laude said:

did you even read the article?

42 minutes ago, Cum Laude said:

I troll in a boat, and usually with great success. Walleye are my favourite.

However, my comment was from the heart. This nonsense has to stop. We cannot allow teachers to make hateful tirades that may hurt the feelings of any student.

Let me ask you; don't you feel the firing is justified? I for one applaud these hard - assed administartors.

I think the firing didn't go far enough. He should have been criminally charged for assaulting the student with his words. 

Just now, Cum Laude said:

I can't argue with this. Hurt feelings at a young age leads to mental health issues later on in life. Words hurt, in case you are unaware.

The right not to be Triggered should be in the Charter. Quite Frankly the fact that JT hasn't altered the Charter already is an embarrassment to Canada. 

Conservative correctness

Whereas political correctness attempts to minimize offence through the rebranding of certain words and terms to be neutral or inclusive, its conservative counterpart rebrands terms to include extreme political bias, removing the meaning and then filling them with scorn, like little Hate-Twinkies.

RationalWiki

...Hate Twinkies... I'm reminded of the constant barrage of bee stings John Kofi felt in The Green Mile.

20 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

They're wealthy so they will be employing others don't you see ?

No, they're not. Their parents are well-off, which means they probably make $300k or more a year. They could be doctors or lawyers. There's a difference between well-off and rich, ie, those CEOs pulling in $5-$10 million a year, and a difference between them and wealthy (someone with a net worth of several hundred million or more). I frankly doubt the wealthy or the rich would, in most cases, be progressive enough to want their kids in a school like this. Most of those people know better than to raise snowflakes.