Thus Week in Political Correctness

drummindiver

7 hours ago, drummindiver said:

I thought you said these injustices weren't tied to political leanings. Clearly you do align them.

What would you consider an injustice worth mentioning? 

As to Pavlovian responses, everything you read is written to get a response of some kind. If the feeling you get when a spoilt snowflake gets a father of 3 fired over his opinion is not one of disgust there is a disconnect with the reveal world.

Did I say that ?  I think that the stories are designed to get attention from people with strong political views - right or left.

What is an injustice worth mentioning ?  I can't give you a formula.  But there are things that come up all the time that are more important, including outrageous actions by teachers, that don't make the news.  The Ontario professional newsletter lists all of the suspensions and there are lots of them.

Here's a teacher suspended for expressing pro-Palestine views.  

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/mississauga-teacher-suspended-after-pro-palestinian-speech-wins-support-of-activists-1.3725004

I'm equally not upset by that story as the snowflake story.  I trust that smart people will work these things out.  If an anti-snowflake teacher gets fired that is sad but I'm too old to get disgusted over every story, and to worry about every sad story that I hear about.  Outrage is only outrage if you feel it occasionally - otherwise you just have an anger problem, or something.

"The left-wing versions make me angry too.  There are lots of examples of both.  I'll try to post"

"And as I alluded to above, these stories are designed to get a Pavlovian response to people who are validated by their staunch political identities, IMO."

Two times you said it.

Does being disgusted by behaviour you abhor equate to anger issues? I'm disgusted that teachers are fired over snowflakes.

Quo

2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Did I say that ?  I think that the stories are designed to get attention from people with strong political views - right or left.

What is an injustice worth mentioning ?  I can't give you a formula.  But there are things that come up all the time that are more important, including outrageous actions by teachers, that don't make the news.  The Ontario professional newsletter lists all of the suspensions and there are lots of them.

Here's a teacher suspended for expressing pro-Palestine views.  

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/mississauga-teacher-suspended-after-pro-palestinian-speech-wins-support-of-activists-1.3725004

I'm equally not upset by that story as the snowflake story.  I trust that smart people will work these things out.  If an anti-snowflake teacher gets fired that is sad but I'm too old to get disgusted over every story, and to worry about every sad story that I hear about.  Outrage is only outrage if you feel it occasionally - otherwise you just have an anger problem, or something.

btw,  thanks for your contribution to PolitiCal Correctness bs with your link.

I especially find it hilarious all are outraged by an opinion piece by a columnist who has made her bona fides on being "outraged" by snowflakes.  I think this is why she's switched from journalism to "outrage news" and crime books.  Easier to write.  Were not the principal, parents or third party students not available for comment?  One person's snowflake buster.....is another's qualude popper.

4 minutes ago, Bob Macadoo said:

I especially find it hilarious all are outraged by an opinion piece by a columnist who has made her bona fides on being "outraged" by snowflakes.  I think this is why she's switched from journalism to "outrage news" and crime books.  Easier to write.  Were not the principal, parents or third party students not available for comment?  One person's snowflake buster.....is another's qualude popper.

Are you claiming she made this story up out of thin air? 

I think she still is a pretty active Court Reporter actually. I hear her every day on 1010 radio in Toronto. 

5 minutes ago, Boges said:

Are you claiming she made this story up out of thin air? 

I think she still is a pretty active Court Reporter actually. I hear her every day on 1010 radio in Toronto. 

She's a court commenter.....she saw Joe Warmington's schtick and saw it pays the bills better.  She talked to the outrager......just like in her court pieces......court is offender bias, everyone's an elite (which by the way she is)......blah blah.  Her and Joe should sit down and hash their Rage Against the PC Machine together.

Just now, Bob Macadoo said:

She's a court commenter.....she saw Joe Warmington's schtick and saw it pays the bills better.  She talked to the outrager......just like in her court pieces......court is offender bias, everyone's an elite (which by the way she is)......blah blah.  Her and Joe should sit down and hash their Rage Against the PC Machine together.

Isn't that the goal of any journalist, to become a columnist?

The pages of the Star are filled with them. But I guess when they do it for conservative papers, they're just outrage mongers. 

Its easier to write opinion pieces.....and they make better money.....everyone is looking for confirmation bias of their shitty lives.  Funny when you can say Can't Comment.....it must mean the other party who is quick to air their grievance....must be truthful.

I would like to see the law changed that as soon as one party opens their mouth you can just dump all your evidence in the public without consequence legally.

2 minutes ago, Boges said:

Isn't that the goal of any journalist, to become a columnist?

The pages of the Star are filled with them. But I guess when they do it for conservative papers, they're just outrage mongers. 

No....any good journalist strives to be an editor.....not a mouth piece.  The morons in the Star (DiManno, etal) are just as bad.  There are those who can straddle both lanes but they are few.

At least you're consistent. Heather Mallick makes me want to find a kitten to punch. 

Regardless of the messenger. The story indicates that young people are being told that if they feel uncomfortable or "unsafe" that it's societies responsibility to fix it for them. It's a horrible life lesson. 

Edited by Boges

18 minutes ago, Bob Macadoo said:

Opinion piece? Do you understand the difference?

Both snowflake and the teacher wished to remain anonymous.

Her book Helpless about  Caledonia shone a light on a disgraceful episode of our judicial and policing leaders.If it were not factual I'm sure she would have been charged with libel.  

Only in this day of sound bites and reddit pages that you have hacks who think being outraged is a profession.  Whats the clickbait today?  "10 Ways Trump will make you labour in the coal mines" or "10 Celebrities who are coming door to door to take your gun and give you a sex change".  Christ this world is FUBAR.

3 minutes ago, Boges said:

At least you're consistent. Heather Mallick makes me want to find a kitten to punch. 

Regardless of the messenger. The story indicates that young people are being told that if they feel uncomfortable or "unsafe" that it's societies responsibility to fix it for them. It's a horrible life lesson. 

There's nothing wrong with that lesson.....so long as it is followed by.....and you are sometimes wrong and sometimes you have to work out your feelings on your own.

1 minute ago, Bob Macadoo said:

Only in this day of sound bites and reddit pages that you have hacks who think being outraged is a profession.  Whats the clickbait today?  "10 Ways Trump will make you labour in the coal mines" or "10 Celebrities who are coming door to door to take your gun and give you a sex change".  Christ this world is FUBAR.

Columnists are nothing new. The phenomena you're citing isn't a problem of the mainstream media. 

But the more people refuse to pay for the information they get the less reliable Journalism will come. 

I just saw something on my Newsfeed that a Magazine named Justin Trudeau the worst Canadian. :huh:

Geer Wilders convicted because he asked a crowd if they wanted more or less immigration. 

What really bothers me about the judges ruling is their determination that a leader of a political party cannot polarise society. How does a leader lead without not doing this. A stance on any issue does this.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38260377

1 minute ago, Bob Macadoo said:

There's nothing wrong with that lesson.....so long as it is followed by.....and you are sometimes wrong and sometimes you have to work out your feelings on your own.

Which, if this story is to be believed, is not what happened here. 

She heard that someone isn't a fan of Abortion and felt unsafe. And the school jumped through hoops to make her feel "safe". Her petty emotions were completely validated. 

Who's fault is it that anyone said that hearing opinions don't like creates an unsafe environment? 

1 minute ago, Boges said:

The reaction to her Caledonia book was another example of people want to shut down debate, and not have an open dialogue about what happened there. 

Don't shutdown debate....but her book was another agitating outrage piece......don't confuse her writing as journalism.....its an essay.....if it provokes discussion great....people however have used it to confirm their opinion......and that's all.

Just now, Bob Macadoo said:

Don't shutdown debate....but her book was another agitating outrage piece......don't confuse her writing as journalism.....its an essay.....if it provokes discussion great....people however have used it to confirm their opinion......and that's all.

Are you supportive of what happened in Caledonia? It seemed like the Province completely ignored a community because it would have been politically unappetizing to deal with FN people that were breaking the law. Something you could get outraged about. 

Just now, Boges said:

Which, if this story is to be believed, is not what happened here. 

She heard that someone isn't a fan of Abortion and felt unsafe. And the school jumped through hoops to make her feel "safe". Her petty emotions were completely validated. 

Who's fault is it that anyone said that hearing opinions don't like creates an unsafe environment? 

How many discussions have you had personally where a truly solitary innocuous statement has a person running for authority?  It's funny how people who hear their echo don't question the pecularity of it's pitch.

2 minutes ago, Boges said:

Are you supportive of what happened in Caledonia? It seemed like the Province completely ignored a community because it would have been politically unappetizing to deal with FN people that were breaking the law. Something you could get outraged about. 

My opinion of Caledonia is immaterial.  It seems to you however though because Christie has made a mint about a topic that is good clickbait.  Mainstream media is most definitely not immune.  Check CNN out.  They are the Vince McMahon of political media......incidently his wife is in cabinet after running the WWF.......appropriare skillset.