I don't trust any polling now. It's too normalized in contrast to its origins (if even useful then) because everyone has sufficiently learned to use that and other propaganda devises purposely used to foster the illusion of support in the hopes that it makes others act according to their natural tendencies to appeal to popularity for things they cannot follow with sufficient clarity.

We were overly 'confident' here in Saskatoon for precisely interpreting NDP to win without a need to even try. We only have one NDP seat here! (And now I've got Trost as another extreme personality who is about to try running for the Conservative Party leadership! We had Vellecott last time who was relatively extreme too before.)

Best bet is to ignore polls, focus on the issues, and entice others to vote where possible.

Scott, You miss the point entirely. These polls are the single most accurate indicator. FiveThirtyEight predicted Obama's win near exact.

Feel free to ignore the polls though. That's what conservatives did in the last election. Shady was notorious for saying that the polls were wrong and biased and that Romney was actually going to win. He disappeared after the election for awhile.

Edited by cybercoma

The problem with any system is that observation affects the results.

The polls don't affect the results. The results of the polls are a snapshot in time. They may affect future polls but even those polls will be accurate as a snapshot for their time. So despite the polls affecting voters decisions, this still doesn't introduce bias into the polls. They're accurate in the moment.

In my view, when it comes to politics in the US, take every info. one sees or hears with a grain of salt. My friend, who does a lot of research on this election, says the polls are ripped in favor of Clinton. Bill and George Soros, are paying for anything that makes Clinton look good. You won't hear anything about what REALLY IS HAPPENING BEHIND THE SCENES OF THIS ELELCTION, from main stream news agencies, because they are for Clinton. So, in my view, one has to have an open mind that anything and everything is being done to one or both candidates, anything is possible. I've also been told that Clinton has health problems and I'm wondering why she hasn't had more news conferences with the journalist?

Scott, You miss the point entirely. These polls are the single most accurate indicator. FiveThirtyEight predicted Obama's win near exact.

Feel free to ignore the polls though. That's what conservatives did in the last election. Shady was notorious for saying that the polls were wrong and biased and that Romney was actually going to win. He disappeared after the election for awhile.

What do you think the polls are for if not to (1) help other politicians reflect on 'how' they should anticipate WHAT they might attempt to do next, or (2) to influence voters?

Politicians by now affect the results of polls if only to aid in influencing behavior. This is done by pundits too as they attempt to downplay whether a country is going into recession or not because when others 'think' the trend is going one way or the other, it affects how they will invest or not.

You can no longer 'trust' the validity of any polls with regards to politics. Even literal voting results now is not an actual indicator of people's thoughts necessarily because there are just too many variables for why people opt out of voting.

Edited by Scott Mayers

If you doubt Nate Silver's predicting power at fivethirtyeight:

After Silver successfully called the outcomes in 49 of the 50 states in the 2008 U.S. Presidential election, he was named one of The World's 100 Most Influential People by Time in 2009.

In the 2012 United States presidential election between Barack Obama and Mitt Romney, Silver correctly predicted the winner of all 50 states and the District of Columbia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nate_Silver

This could be the most lob sided presidential win in USA history.

It would have to go a long way do rival Nixon's win over McGovern. Nixon carried 50 states and McGovern won Washington, DC.

Indeed. As things stand right now, the Republicans could nominate a monkey in a funny hat and still be guaranteed to win several Deep South states.

However, it's a monument to Trump's incompetence that right now, even Georgia is changing from a Republican fortress into a "battleground state".

-k

These polls don't even account for the completely idiotic message that people should stop Hillary with their right to bear arms. If that's not distasteful to everyone but the blindest supporters then literally nothing he says or does will convince anyone. His commentary since the convention is so painfully stupid that I seriously question whether his entire campaign has been a rouse by the Clintons, considering he attended their wedding and had been a Democrat in the past until recently.

If you doubt Nate Silver's predicting power at fivethirtyeight:

After Silver successfully called the outcomes in 49 of the 50 states in the 2008 U.S. Presidential election, he was named one of The World's 100 Most Influential People by Time in 2009.

In the 2012 United States presidential election between Barack Obama and Mitt Romney, Silver correctly predicted the winner of all 50 states and the District of Columbia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nate_Silver
Silver doesn't predict. He says what the results would be if the election were held today. That's why Donald and Hillary were neck and neck a week ago on 538. A lot can happen between now and November and all of that will be incorporated in his forecast as we go.

Projected safe states for Clinton have her getting over 270 electoral college votes already. GOP strongholds, South Carolina and Georgia, are now battleground states. If the vote were today, there would be a 95% chance of her victory.

At this point in the election, Trump is being annihilated.

Johnson is closing in on the 15% he needs to be in the debates.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/grenier-uselection-state-polls-1.3719007

Edited by cybercoma

• 2 weeks later...

"You're living in poverty. Your schools are no good. You have no jobs. Fifty-eight percent of your youth is unemployed. What the hell do you have to lose?"

Donald Trump, on why African-Americans should vote for him

I wonder what that will do for him in the polls.

I'd still vote for Hillary if I was forced to vote, but how refreshing is it to see that kind of frankness from a politician?

I suppose he's not really a politician.

"You're living in poverty. Your schools are no good. You have no jobs. Fifty-eight percent of your youth is unemployed. What the hell do you have to lose?"

Donald Trump, on why African-Americans should vote for him

I wonder what that will do for him in the polls.

I'd still vote for Hillary if I was forced to vote, but how refreshing is it to see that kind of frankness from a politician?

I suppose he's not really a politician.

One does have to wonder why the black community consistently vote democrat. I can understand Latinos somewhat...but not African americans. It makes no sense whatsoever, beyond the obvious unhealthy co-dependant relationship that the black community just can't shake.