America under President Trump

I might agree but he also said,

"He was a very tough person, but he had a big heart, and he was really angry that he saw what was happening with regard to the Civil War. He said, "There's no reason for this."

Edited by Wilber

40 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

I don't get what the big deal was about this, other than it seems like the media purposely misconstrued what the President said. His initial remarks in that statement included- “Had Andrew Jackson been a little later, you wouldn't have had the Civil War." Obviously he knew that Andrew Jackson was no longer alive when the civil war actually began.

The big deal is, here's what he actually said:

He made the puzzling claim that Jackson “was really angry that he saw what was happening in regard to the Civil War.” But Jackson died in 1845, and the Civil War didn't begin until 16 years later, in 1861. 

On 5/3/2017 at 9:56 AM, bush_cheney2004 said:

Thank you for confirming that President Trump is being very presidential, just like many previous U.S. presidents' objections to negative press...like Obama, Bush, Clinton, Bush, Reagan, Carter, Ford....all the way back to Lincoln.

I don't think any of those other presidents ever said that they needed to change the First Amendment to make the press stop writing negative stories about them.  Nothing presidential about that.

The guy promoted the Obama "birther" conspiracy theory for 6 years, but he can't even handle 3 months of people calling out his BS now that he's in the big chair himself.  SAD!

-k

On 5/3/2017 at 10:01 AM, DogOnPorch said:

Four more years of hand wringing to go.

I have a hunch that this trainwreck isn't going to last 4 years, but we'll see.

Overall, are you pleased with the direction he's going? Anything actually positive here, or is the only think you like about him that he makes progressives angry?

On the bright side, I imagine that real-estate in Porchdog Country is going to get pretty cheap once the softwood tariffs kick in. You could pick up some sweet deals, maybe land a pad with a bigger porch!  I'm curious as to whether the sawmill rednecks will be peeling the "Trump 2016!" stickers off their 4x4s when they're out of work.

-k

On a more obviously damaging tone, South Korea is in the midst of an election campaign. The pro America side, is facing off against one which is much less so, and which has grave doubts about those missiles the US has brought in to defend against North Korea. The Chinese have been putting a lot of economic pressure on South Korea over those missile launchers including banning tourism and making it harder for South Koran companies to sell in China.

In the midst of this Trump suddenly tweets that South Korea will be paying a billion dollars for those missiles. Even though the US had previously agreed with South Korea that this would not be the case. Then he goes on to say the trade agreement between South Korea and the US has to be torn up and redone since it's so unfair to the US.  Result:  Tillerson has to walk back the talk of charging South Korea for the missiles, but the pro America side is sliding in the polls.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/politics/2017/05/03/not-just-north-korea-trump-has-south-korea-problem-too/sSrCnN1hZwLKs0MNlz4u3I/story.html

Edited by Argus

16 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

I don't get what the big deal was about this, other than it seems like the media purposely misconstrued what the President said. His initial remarks in that statement included- “Had Andrew Jackson been a little later, you wouldn't have had the Civil War." Obviously he knew that Andrew Jackson was no longer alive when the civil war actually began.

I suppose Breitpravda must have omitted the part where Trump also said:

"He was a very tough person, but he had a big heart, and he was really angry that he saw what was happening with regard to the Civil War. He said, "There's no reason for this."

There's no misconstruing that. 

Although, Trump is right about this much: given Jackson's personal views on the topic of slavery, it's highly probable that he would have felt there was no reason for the Civil War. It seems highly unlikely that a slave owner would have gone to war over the issue of slavery. 

-k

On 5/3/2017 at 10:40 PM, sharkman said:

The hand wringing I can stand, it's the bitching and moaning that gets tedious! 

You spent 8 years bitching and moaning about Obama!

On 5/3/2017 at 10:40 PM, sharkman said:

What would make it all worth it though, is a fired up economy, North Korea muzzled .

I'll believe that when it happens.   We'll also see how well Trumpcare works out for anybody aside from the wealthy. And how Trump's upcoming tax reforms workout for anybody aside from the wealthy. And how Trump's Wall Street deregulation works out for anybody aside from the banks. You think these things are going to create a "fired up economy", I think they're going to create a massive gift to the people who need it least, plus a massive increase in the deficit, plus the next financial meltdown.

-k

9 minutes ago, Argus said:

Result:  Tillerson has to walk back the talk of charging South Korea for the missiles, but the pro America side is sliding in the polls.

It's all part of Trump's master plan! He's playing 4-D chess against people who only know how to play checkers! He operates simultaneously in the present, past, and future! He is a great wizard, and Twitter is his magic wand!

-k

48 minutes ago, kimmy said:

I don't think any of those other presidents ever said that they needed to change the First Amendment to make the press stop writing negative stories about them.  Nothing presidential about that.

Changing the First Amendment legally is far better than what President Lincoln, FDR, and others did to restrict civil rights and a free press, especially during wars.   President Trump has done nothing that comes close to rivaling the restrictive actions of previous presidents.

http://ocean.otr.usm.edu/~w304644/ajha/americanjournalism/fall09.pdf

Edited by bush_cheney2004

3 minutes ago, kimmy said:

We'll also see how well Trumpcare works out for anybody aside from the wealthy.

The weird celebration of passing a health reform package that Trump held at the White House was wildly premature. Most people, including Republicans, say that bill is dead on arrival at the senate, which is working on its own health care plan.

People have to remember that most of the congressional districts are heavily gerrymandered. That means most congressmen don't fear elections, they only need to win their own primaries, so they only need to care about their base. The senate is different. Unless a state is heavily conservative, like say Alabama, those senators need to care a lot about taking people's health care away.

4 minutes ago, kimmy said:

It's all part of Trump's master plan! He's playing 4-D chess against people who only know how to play checkers! He operates simultaneously in the present, past, and future! He is a great wizard, and Twitter is his magic wand!

Looks like Team Hillary and her minions were not even that smart...Trump rolled 'em for the presidency.  

Anything else is just gravy (like his new associate SC justice).

Just now, bush_cheney2004 said:

Looks like Team Hillary and her minions were not even that smart...Trump rolled 'em for the presidency.  

Anything else is just gravy (like his new associate SC justice).

Helping an anti-American political party win the election in South Korea would be just more gravy for Trump?

-k

1 minute ago, kimmy said:

Helping an anti-American political party win the election in South Korea would be just more gravy for Trump?

Yes...don't presume to know what motivates Trump compared to past U.S. presidents and policies.  

That much should be clear by now, even in Canada.

38 minutes ago, kimmy said:

I suppose Breitpravda must have omitted the part where Trump also said:

There's no misconstruing that.

What I quoted was said earlier during the same conversation. He knew Jackson was not alive during the civil war.Therefore there is some misconstruing going on.

16 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

What I quoted was said earlier during the same conversation. He knew Jackson was not alive during the civil war.Therefore there is some misconstruing going on.

And the same conversation he clearly says that Andrew Jackson SAW the Civil War.   Your cherry-picked quote indicates that he wished that Jackson was president a few years later, and doesn't give any indication that Trump actually understood that Jackson was long dead by then. And clearly he didn't understand that. The guy is, as usual, just talking out of his hat.

And what solution do you think Trump imagines Jackson-- a slave-owning dirtbag of a man-- would have had to the Civil War?

-k

11 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Slave-owning ?    That would include Washington and Jefferson too.....oh my !

...and they probably wouldn't have gone to war over slavery either.

-k

Entertaining, but I'm still fascinated as to why Trump thinks that the slavery-supporter that originated the Trail of Tears would have been the right guy to solve the Civil War.

-k

3 minutes ago, kimmy said:

Entertaining, but I'm still fascinated as to why Trump thinks that the slavery-supporter that originated the Trail of Tears would have been the right guy to solve the Civil War.

Because Jackson was "high energy".   He is on our favorite...the $20 bill.  

Lots of Americans supported slavery...revisionists can't change that....not even from Canada.

2 minutes ago, kimmy said:

-k

Trump is maintaining that somehow a slave holder (or any other single person) could have prevented the war and rid the country of slavery. That was not possible and the reason why the war had to be fought, or the US would have remained a country that accepted slavery as part of its makeup. Unfortunately, some things need a war to change. Fortunately, the right side won.

1 minute ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Because Jackson was "high energy".   He is on our favorite...the $20 bill.  

Lots of Americans supported slavery...revisionists can't change that....not even from Canada.

Yes, lots of people used to support things that we now recognize as wrong. But it's pretty unusual to see someone modern-day praising them for their historically-understandable wrongheadedness.

"You know, these residential schools, they were a great idea, we should revisit that idea..."

-k

1 minute ago, kimmy said:

Yes, lots of people used to support things that we now recognize as wrong. But it's pretty unusual to see someone modern-day praising them for their historically-understandable wrongheadedness.

"You know, these residential schools, they were a great idea, we should revisit that idea..."

And yet...a Canadian politician recently did just that. 

More Americans died during Lincoln's terms than for any other president.   Jackson was a war "hero"....and founded the Democratic Party.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kimmy said:

I have a hunch that this trainwreck isn't going to last 4 years, but we'll see.

Overall, are you pleased with the direction he's going? Anything actually positive here, or is the only think you like about him that he makes progressives angry?

On the bright side, I imagine that real-estate in Porchdog Country is going to get pretty cheap once the softwood tariffs kick in. You could pick up some sweet deals, maybe land a pad with a bigger porch!  I'm curious as to whether the sawmill rednecks will be peeling the "Trump 2016!" stickers off their 4x4s when they're out of work.

-k

My, my, aren't you aggressive today.

I don't see Hillary in the Oval Office. Things are proceeding in that direction just great.

As for softwood lumber tariffs: don't care. You can worry about the mess the lumber industry created for itself. I do notice in my travels that bear and other populations are actually doing better as result of the MPB die-off.  More room in the underbrush... The loggers can still f--- themselves, though. That's what they've been doing to the forest.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

And yet...a Canadian politician recently did just that. 

No she didn't, she said that residential schools weren't as damaging as everybody has said, and boy did she get slammed for that.

22 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

e Americans died during Lincoln's terms than for any other president.   Jackson was a war "hero"....and founded the Democratic Party.

I thought Trump used to try to present as a Democrat, you,d think he would know when their "founder" lived and more importantly, died.