Why should "Metis" get any special treatment?

The past cases will be tried on a case by case basis. It's up to the individual's family that had the scrip or who had the wrong doing to bring it forward. The more of these cases, the more money and more attention to their cause

No, mem

What we really need are a couple of activist Metis judges - somebody with the appropriate moral and ethical background

Interesting that you would favour the appointment of judges for the specific purpose of providing bias to cases before them. Very appropriate.

bership will be determined by the Metis Organizations.

I don't think that the "full ride" given to 1st nations people is actually helping many of them. People who feel like they have to pull their own fat out of the fire seem to be doing much better.

What's so wrong with the same set of benefits that the rest of us enjoy anyways? Health care, unemployment insurance when you need it for a while, CPP etc...

What criteria will they be using to designate someone Metis or not Metis?

Whatever they wish.

It is nothing to worry about on your part. As taxpayer, your concern should be the overall size of the pie. Who cares how the consumer of the pie divides it?

Even Trudeau Jr knows that he cannot issue a completely blank cheque.

The weirdness about the Left is that they are determined to have more representation on police, government, in courts, etc., because they feel that a mainly white group will not properly treat visible minorities. The corollary never occurs to them. If one accepts their hypothesis then it follows that non-white judges, police, courts, politicians, etc., will treat the majority of citizens unfairly. Which would surely be even worse.

No, that would only be a bonus in their eyes, cause "whitey has it coming".

Whatever they wish.

It is nothing to worry about on your part. As taxpayer, your concern should be the overall size of the pie. Who cares how the consumer of the pie divides it?

Even Trudeau Jr knows that he cannot issue a completely blank cheque.

Thank you for your advice to not worry and advising me what my concerns should be. I appreciate the unsolicited advice.

I had posted a serious question that perhaps someone could answer.

The number of persons who would qualify would vary greatly if they use a 1/2 or 1/4 or 1/8 or 1/16 or 1/32 or 1/63 or 1/128 or 1/256 or 1/512 or ... It would also vary it only for the maternal line or for all lines.

Since the federal government would be involved in the facilitation of any kind of reparations, and I am a voter then I would like to know.

Thank you for your advice to not worry and advising me what my concerns should be. I appreciate the unsolicited advice.

The number of persons who would qualify would vary greatly if they use a 1/2 or 1/4 or 1/8 or 1/16 or 1/32 or 1/63 or 1/128 or 1/256 or 1/512 or ... It would also vary it only for the maternal line or for all lines.

Since the federal government would be involved in the facilitation of any kind of reparations, and I am a voter then I would like to know.

I think Overthere's point is a good one though. You can all be Metis as far as I'm concerned, as long as it doesn't cost me any more. As far as your question goes, it probably depends on whether or not the SCoC got any the night before.

It was a serious answer, and the correct answer.

It can't be helped if you don't like it, but I will state it one more time as you seem to have comprehension problems: the Metis organizations will define their membership, just as they always have done. The federal govt won't provide 'reparations' on a per capita basis unless there is an agreement, and only a few Metis group in AB have formal agreements similar to First Nations treaties.

An interesting blog from none other than Pam Palmateer on this subject

http://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/pamela-palmater/2016/04/dont-partake-celebrations-over-new-supreme-court-ruling-on-m%C3%A9

Don't partake in celebrations over new Supreme Court ruling on Métis just yet
The Daniels decision hasn't been out for 48 hours yet and already there is mass confusion about what it does and does not say. Despite the buzz in mainstream and social media, it does not make Métis and non-status Indians "Indians" under the Indian Act.
What this case will do is break through the jurisdictional "limbo" to which Métis and non-status Indians have been relegated and force both federal and provincial governments to include Metis and non-status Indians in their consultation activities. While the court did not grant two of the three requested declarations, it did confirm that governments have a fiduciary duty towards Métis and non-status Indians (duty to act in their best interests), andthat they must negotiate with them and consult with them on decisions impacting their rights.

That is the most neutral thing that I can say about this decision. In every other way, this decision is one of the worst messes to come out of the SCC.

While it may sort out who is an Indian, it does nothing to address the problems faced by Indians in accessing various federal programs and services. Remember, Jordan River Anderson was a registered Indian child, under federal jurisdiction, yet the province and federal government both refused to pay for his health services and he died in hospital never seeing his home. Magically becoming an Indian doesn't resolve the ongoing federal-provincial dispute over coverage for individuals living off reserve, let alone those normally resident on reserve.

On the Indigenous rights front -- inherent, Aboriginal and treaty rights -- this case is damaging.

the Metis organizations will define their membership,

You are correct that the Metis determine their membership and as per the above blog, they won't want any more members as it will dilute the 'true indian'

For the Indigenous Nations on the ground, a new burden has been placed on us -- proving that the thousands of newly minted, self-identified "Indians" do not speak for us and do nothave a say over our lands. For those who have been wrongly excluded by government laws policy (like Indigenous women and their children) -- their new challenge will be to distinguish themselves from the floodgate of false claims to come -- a burden not rightly borne by those who have already suffered so long at the hands of government discrimination.

Now...having said that....I think the Metis associations may end up seeing a few lawsuits thrown their way if legitimate people are in fact rejected. I have to wonder if that's what will end up happening.

I also have noticed a few articles on Metis and First Nations scrapping it out over land claims as they both lay claims to the same lands. That will present a new story line as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm confused about this latest drunken idiocy on the part of the courts. More than six hundred thousand descendants of mixed race couplings are suddenly going to be described as natives and be able to negotiate for land claims, tax exemptions and special status? Why? From what I understand these 'indigenous' people go all the way back to uh... the nineteenth century. Yes, that's right, that far back! It was mostly native women who 'married' white fur trappers and the like. So how do they qualify as some unique people who should be treated like natives? Are there any treaties? No, of course not. And what sort of land claims could they have given they were half white and their 'communities' mostly developed alongside an existing Canadian culture?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/the-supreme-court-ruling-on-metis-a-roadmap-to-nowhere/article29636204/

All any minority has to do is shout the word racism, and voila, you start to get special treatment by the corporate media and our super-duper politically correct politicians. Caucasians of course may not apply. It's just that simple. :)

All any minority has to do is shout the word racism, and voila, you start to get special treatment by the corporate media and our super-duper politically correct politicians. Caucasians of course may not apply. It's just that simple. :)

"Caucasians" can have difficult lives too.

But it's not difficult because they're "Caucasians".

And of course if you whine and complain all the time and blame others for your misery ... well, you're having a miserable life because you choose to be miserable.

I don't give a damn who they're descended from. I'm against race based laws and entitlements.

With the exception of Israel?

The people I know are thinking it's high time the descendents of the original natives moved into cities and got jobs instead of living their miserable non-lives in the boonies complaining about the world.

You know what Indigenous people say about our cities and farmlands?

How do those people expect to breathe with no trees?

Maybe we should be listening more.

Israel is not in Canada. And the situations are not the least bit comparable.

Look at all that great economic activity that pays for our welfare?

How do those people expect to breathe with no trees?

Maybe we should be listening more.

"How do those people expect to breathe without trees" Wow? I would never have thought of that me being one of those ignorant destroy all the trees type guy. You know, I would probably listen more to these Indian people if they really had something to say or offer or show something productive. So far I have not seen much except more moaning and whining and blaming white folk for their problems. We are here, live with it, we are not going away. Get off your duffs and get out there like the rest of us are doing. What happened to Indians in the past is in the past, and nothing will change that. We cannot change what happened in the past two world wars. It happened, it's over. The world got on with it and rebuilt. Indians need to join the group and get out there and build up their community and look after themselves. Everyone else has too.

"Caucasians" can have difficult lives too.

But it's not difficult because they're "Caucasians".

And of course if you whine and complain all the time and blame others for your misery ... well, you're having a miserable life because you choose to be miserable.

Caucasians do have their difficulties is true. So, why is it not difficult for Caucasians because they are Caucasians? I don't see white people getting any preference over any other people. What I am seeing today is that non-Caucasians are being treated better and more fairly than Caucasians in Canada now. Look how Canada does whatever it takes to make illegal refugees live in comfort. These refugees are taking the money right out of the host nations mouth. And thus many Caucasians have to suffer for it. Their money should be there for them, not a bunch of refugee strangers.

Caucasians do have their difficulties is true. So, why is it not difficult for Caucasians because they are Caucasians? I don't see white people getting any preference over any other people.

What I am seeing today is that non-Caucasians are being treated better and more fairly than Caucasians in Canada now. Look how Canada does whatever it takes to make illegal refugees live in comfort. These refugees are taking the money right out of the host nations mouth. And thus many Caucasians have to suffer for it. Their money should be there for them, not a bunch of refugee strangers.

You'd rather be a nonwhite refugee?

I'll bet you'd rather be a woman too. :-)

Everybody seems to have it better than you these days?

Choose to lead a positive life in spite of it though, eh?

Kind of off topic though, and the mods will be redirecting us soon.

Edited by jacee

• 1 month later...

I don't think that the "full ride" given to 1st nations people is actually helping many of them. People who feel like they have to pull their own fat out of the fire seem to be doing much better.

What's so wrong with the same set of benefits that the rest of us enjoy anyways? Health care, unemployment insurance when you need it for a while, CPP etc...

What's "wrong" with that is it would cut out the "indian industry" - the army of government bureaucrats, their consultant and lawyer friends and the rest of the hangers-on who suck the guts out of the bux that flow exclusively to the chiefs and councils, seldom if ever landing in the hands or to the benefit of a single band member. Ever wonder why with billion$$$ a year going into IAF (whatever they call it today) there is still massive unemployment, housing and infrastructure deficiencies and rampant poverty on reserves?

Chretien was right back in 1970 when he proposed rescinding the Indian Act. it is a horribly racist piece of legislation and needs to go. SImply make everyone in Canada EQUAL under the law. That is the only thing that is fair. I was born in this country, making me "indigenous". Whether my ancestors arrived 15000 years ago or 200 years ago is irrelevant.