Will Canada ever become the 51st State of America?

I am not a proponent of it but with the forthcoming water crisis in America not far away, Canada may not have much choice in the matter, if you know what I mean. We already supply one-third of their drinking water.

No. Canada will not become the "51st state". Rather, would Americans want 10 new states? Because that's what Canada is - a federal state with ten sovereign provinces.

====

Water? Fresh water? Are you a farmer in California?

Edited by August1991

No. Canada will not become the "51st state". Rather, would Americans want 10 new states? Because that's what Canada is - a federal state with ten sovereign provinces.

====

Water? Fresh water? Are you a farmer in California?

I didn't know that Canada had ten sovereign provinces? I thought that we were all one big province? Of course, Quebec will always be treated differently, not as a province, but pretty much be treated as a country within a country and on it's own.

I didn't know that Canada had ten sovereign provinces? I thought that we were all one big province? Of course, Quebec will always be treated differently, not as a province, but pretty much be treated as a country within a country and on it's own.

"... a country within a country ... "

Not bad as a description of the UK, within the EU -but then, the UK is outside Schengen.

OTOH, Norway is a small civilized country whose people have chosen to do things differently from what the EU bureaucrats think is good. With its own language, energy, Norway has its own currency, its own immigration policy - Norway is not a member of the EU.

===

Norway: As a model for Quebec, not bad.

Edited by August1991

"... a country within a country ... "

Not bad as a description of the UK, within the EU -but then, the UK is outside Schengen.

OTOH, Norway is a small civilized country whose people have chosen to do things differently from what the EU bureaucrats think is good. With its own language, energy, Norway has its own currency, its own immigration policy - Norway is not a member of the EU.

===

Norway: As a model for Quebec, not bad.

Quebec does very well staying in Canada. Why leave? Ottawa takes care of their precious little french speaking country, giving them just about anything they ask for, and the rest of the country gets to pay for it by force. Works well for Quebec, but not for the rest of us. Aw well.

We should outsource much of our governance to Norway, like we were building warships and planes or something. It's not that we can't do these things but what's the point if someone else can do it better and more efficiently?

Edited by eyeball

Canadians don't want to join the U.S. and an invasion would be very costly to the U.S. in the world reaction.

As demonstrated in Afganistan and Iraq, it takes more than an invasion to take over a country and Canadian resistance would make ISIL and the Taliban look like pussies. We have access to their home turf. We have access to very nasty things to make them pay.

Americans are not stupid. They are good people, but not stupid.

Edited by Queenmandy85

Canadians don't want to join the U.S. and an invasion would be very costly to the U.S. in the world reaction.

...We have access to very nasty things to make them pay.

How did another typical domestic "51st state" threat by/for Canadians turn into an invasion by the United States ?

The United States has bigger things to worry about than the constant regional/separation squabbling in Canada that always includes tantrums about "joining the U.S.".

Puerto Rico is way ahead of Canada for any new state scenario anyway...it would be "51st".

BC, I think that is what I was saying. Canada doesn't want to be part of the U.S. and the U.S. has no interest in acquiring Canada. Our relationship has worked well for both of us. You just articulated it better than me.

Well, if joining America meant that we could get rid of metric, a foreign measurement system anyway, I am all in. When I see mile signs in km's and hear temps said in celsius, I feel like I am in some foreign country somewhere. Imperial measurement system is for North America, the metric system is for the rest of the world. My opinion.

So what happened to the North American Union, where, Canada, US and Mexico become one and the capital is Washington DC? There was such an up roar in the US, especially in Texas, when GW was President that they have learn to go slow and more secret or call certain laws or projects different names. I could be wrong but I have a feeling Justin could be for such a deal because Quebec wouldn't be part of it, it would be alone or be part of France and I hope I'm wrong.

• 4 weeks later...

I actually think it might be less of a crazy idea and could actually be envisioned if the US had even a half-way better political climate and policies that lined up more with Canada (Health Care, Bank Regulation, etc.). Even then there would be so much to hash out. It admittedly is fun to speculate on.

But I imagine it would be a far more gradual process; Customs Union, Common Market, and then having a full "merger" being the last step.

And I think that Canada would probably be split into 8-10 states. I doubt PEI would make the cut, though, and be consolidated into Nova Scotia. The territories would probably all be combined and just called the "Northwest Territories".

It would also be interesting to see what would happen to the political parties. The Liberals would by and large merge into the Democrats, as would the NDP with some cajoling. Conservatives would obviously join the Republicans, especially the Harper generation, who would be right at home.

Quebec would be an entirely different mess, but, funny enough, whenever polls on Canada joining the US are taken they tend to be the most supportive. Maybe they could find camaraderie with Louisiana.

Edited by Vega

....Quebec would be an entirely different mess, but, funny enough, whenever polls on Canada joining the US are taken they tend to be the most supportive. Maybe they could find camaraderie with Louisiana.

Perhaps such sentiment in Quebec has far more to do with separation from Canada than joining with the United States. The U.S. constitutional processes for statehood do not presently support such a possibility for even one province, let alone all of them. Original drafts for U.S. Articles of Confederation included a provision for colonies in Canada, but this did not survive passage of the final constitution.

http://blog.constitutioncenter.org/2013/03/when-canada-was-invited-to-join-the-united-states/

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Perhaps such sentiment in Quebec has far more to do with separation from Canada than joining with the United States. The U.S. constitutional processes for statehood do not presently support such a possibility for even one province, let alone all of them. Original drafts for U.S. Articles of Confederation included a provision for colonies in Canada, but this did not survive passage of the final constitution.

http://blog.constitutioncenter.org/2013/03/when-canada-was-invited-to-join-the-united-states/

I'm fairly sure that the provinces would apply separately for statehood, which would be the result of high level negotiations, and then Congress would vote yes with it going to the President.

I'm fairly sure that the provinces would apply separately for statehood, which would be the result of high level negotiations, and then Congress would vote yes with it going to the President.

Maybe, but the province would have to become a U.S. territory first and a majority of voters would have to vote for statehood. I agree that Congress has never denied a territory's petition for statehood, but a sovereign Canada would not simply accept such an outcome (Clarity Act).

Maybe, but the province would have to become a U.S. territory first and a majority of voters would have to vote for statehood. I agree that Congress has never denied a territory's petition for statehood, but a sovereign Canada would not simply accept such an outcome (Clarity Act).

That's not the case. Texas and Vermont were both separate Republics and applied straight for statehood and received it.

no self-respecting proud Canadian would ever consider Canada becoming a part of that sorry-state country... those Americans desperate for Canadian water/resources will need to wait for another illegal U.S. invasion and regime change!

• 7 months later...
On 3/30/2016 at 9:48 PM, McQuaid said:

I am not a proponent of it but with the forthcoming water crisis in America not far away, Canada may not have much choice in the matter, if you know what I mean. We already supply one-third of their drinking water.

If anything I'd say the hillbilly crisis in America will probably drive a few states our way.

12 minutes ago, eyeball said:

If anything I'd say the hillbilly crisis in America will probably drive a few states our way.

That pisses me off. Here I am, a couple of years from retirement, and the bloody American liberals are gonna drive the prices up in the Maritimes. 

Just deal with him, people!

6 minutes ago, eyeball said:

I don't know...Washington, Oregon and California would be a pretty good grab. Alaska could probably be convinced too.

Maybe after the interregnum.

Oh, states?  Sorry, I misread your post. 

Edited by bcsapper

On 4/4/2016 at 9:29 PM, taxme said:

Well, if joining America meant that we could get rid of metric, a foreign measurement system anyway, I am all in. When I see mile signs in km's and hear temps said in celsius, I feel like I am in some foreign country somewhere. Imperial measurement system is for North America, the metric system is for the rest of the world. My opinion.

Heaven forbid we adopt a system that actually makes mathematical sense. Oh wait, we already have. Keep trying you can figure it out. You may get some blowback from BC, who I doubt enjoys measuring things using a system that is Imperial.