Who knew Canadians cares so much about Ketchup?

Boges

Evil Americans and their Evil Heinz Ketchup!!! :rolleyes:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/loblaws-reverses-decision-will-continue-to-sell-french-s-ketchup-1.3492292

Loblaws' squeeze on condiment giant French's is over — after just a few days.

Loblaws on Tuesday reversed its decision to stop stocking French's ketchup and will continue to do sell it at all its stores, which include Zehrs, No Frills, Superstore and others.

The grocery chain decided to drop French's ketchup last week, saying the condiment, made with tomatoes grown in Leamington, Ont., was not popular among consumers. But public outcry appears to have forced Loblaws to backtrack.

"We've heard our Loblaws customers," said Kevin Groh, vice-president of corporate affairs and communication.

"We will restock French's ketchup and hope that the enthusiasm we are seeing in the media and on social media translates into sales of the product."

No one even knew French's made Ketchup until like last month. Now eating anything but French's Ketchup is like bad mouthing Tommy Douglas.

Weird how the internet can care about the weirdest things and force huge companies to make decisions because of a handful of people on Facebook and Twitter.

Yes I know some people think Ketchup is sugar paste! It has it's place.

No one even knew French's made Ketchup until like last month. Now eating anything but French's Ketchup is like bad mouthing Tommy Douglas.

Wow....facetweeting millenials do more than "like" something and emphasized domestic purchasing power of a product they probably use the most....achieved change......and you poo poo......no wonder they don't care about sweet f'all.

Wow....facetweeting millenials do more than "like" something and emphasized domestic purchasing power of a product they probably use the most....achieved change......and you poo poo......no wonder they don't care about sweet f'all.

You think only millennials act indignant about the smallest things on social media?

Just saw the issue discussed on the CBC - National coverage.

I suspect that the marketing folks at French's met with the marketing folks at Loblaws as to how to get media coverage for both of them for free. They decided on a plan to get out the idea that French's now also makes ketchup and where it can be purchased.

We have just seen the plan in process.

Brilliant!

Heinz's Ketchup and French's Mustard and of course Bick's Sweet Green Relish all together constitute a distinct food group.

Remember those jars of peanut butter and jam mixed together? Lets hope Heinz and French's don't cock up a good thing and merge.

BTW, whatever happened to Catsup?

Edited by eyeball

Looks like Loblaws got caught with ketchup on its face, trying to drop French's because it was cannibalizing store brand (President's Choice) ketchup. Heinz ketchup wasn't impacted because most people rate it the best.

Sad part is that Canadians think French's was 100% Canadian made, but it's not. Another whacked boycott to "show 'dem Muricans" bites the dust.

No wonder Donald Trump is more exciting.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/loblaw-ketchup-frenchs-1.3494672

Edited by Michael Hardner
edited spelling error

Looks like Loblaws got caught with ketchup on its face, trying to drop French's because it was cannibalizing store brand (President's Choice) ketchup. Heinz ketchup wasn't impacted because most people rate it the best.

Sad part is that Canadians think French's was 100% Canadian made, but it's not. Another whacked boycott to "show 'dem Muricans" bites the dust.

No wonder Donald Trump is more exciting.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/loblaw-ketchup-frenchs-1.3494672

Do you own stock in Heinz or something?

This was all covered in the OP. It's about protecting Canadian jobs more than anything.

Ketchup is Ketchup!!! People with unique Ketchup tastes need to develop lives. I've had only one bottle of Ketchup in my fridge all year (Walmart Brand). It's not something people that appreciate good food should use a lot.

Edited by Boges

....in of itself no but it is a valuable ingredient for sauces in cooking, especially barbecue. Quicker than boiling down the vinegar yourself.

Which means the brand is largely irrelevant.

"This BBQ sauce is off, what type of ketchup was used?" said no one ever.

Edited by Boges

Oh contraire sir....not so much name but mix. The "no name" brands are higher in acidity I find and the consistancy requires you to add another thickener (paste) to account for it. Better to spend a little more. I know we're not talking foie gras here but ingredients matter.

So spend more for the thickening ability of certain ketchups? I just use it for colour and sweetness.

Better to use a corn starch slurry to be able to customize the thickness desired.

Ketchup is not something I spend a lot of time thinking about brand loyalty. I guess if you have kids that eat it with everything, different story.

I picked up French's because I have friends and family who work and live in Leamington. IMHO, it tastes better than Heinz. At some point Heinz became very sweet. The French's, to me anyway, has a better balance of salty and sweet. It tastes more like a properly ripened tomato. To each their own though. If people don't mind French's then I'd encourage you to buy it, as he farms and factory in Leamington are crucial to the town's economy. When Heinz's Brazilian investment group decided to pull out, there was a very real threat of Leamington becoming a ghost town. If you don't like French's whatever. Tastes are tastes.

Edited by cybercoma

It is brilliant.

Free enterprise at its finest.

People are demanding something and are forcing the biggest grocery chain in Canada too comply.

Buying the stuff regularly so that everyone involved can make a profit would be forcing the chain to comply. Phoning and complaining while not actually buying it is so Canadian.

I pretty much stopped using Heinz, I really don't like the flavour. ANY packet of fast food ketchup is better on fries than Heinz and I actually save them when getting a burger. The fast food joints have caught on to me, here in BC most of them do not hand out the packets unless you specifically ask for them now. That's pretty cheap in my book, I'm not going to dip my fries in the chocolate shake.

Buying the stuff regularly so that everyone involved can make a profit would be forcing the chain to comply. Phoning and complaining while not actually buying it is so Canadian.

It must be a daunting task for the protesting Canadians to keep track of so many products and services to boycott. Is there an app for that ?

Or they assume you're going home where you have ketchup already in the fridge instead of hoarding packets.

They shouldn't be assuming anything. Putting straws, napkins, spoons in the bag but no ketchup(that's not assuming you'll eat at home where you've got silverware,etc)? That doesn't make sense, are you defending the fast food restaurants? Why? I'll ketchup bomb you, you stick in the mud!

• 2 weeks later...

French makes ketchup?

Made from tomatoes grown in Ontario. This was the reason people complained. Not sure if the other ketchups are made with Ontario grown tomatoes.

Sorry, I meant Heinz (the brand that was removed)

Edited by GostHacked