Name the next CPC and NDP leaders

hitops

• 2 weeks later...

Growing number of Conservatives looking at Erin O'Toole as next leader.

OTTAWA – Conservative parliamentarians and long-time Tory operatives sitting on the sidelines of the leadership contest are anxiously hoping MP Erin O’Toole will jump into the race, believing he’s the best candidate to broaden party support and defeat the Liberals.

Momentum for O’Toole is building as some recent signs suggest longtime cabinet minister Peter MacKay, considered a possible frontrunner, might decide to stay out.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/mp-erin-otoole-quickly-emerging-as-preferred-leadership-hopeful-for-many-conservatives

Edited by Argus

The letter that came out from McKay about the liberal snubbing the east coast might be his way of easing into this race. People say trudeau cant lose the next one ,but I believe they can be beat.

The letter that came out from McKay about the liberal snubbing the east coast might be his way of easing into this race. People say trudeau cant lose the next one ,but I believe they can be beat.

McKay wrote a letter? lol Is there a link?

Of course the Liberals can be beat... but not if they do an adequate job, which is what is currently happening. If they do happen to get on a role and solve some native issues, pipeline issues, etc... then they won't be beat. It's not rocket science.

Is O'Toole far enough right for the Party members?

I'd have to hear from him as to where he wants to take the party, presuming he enters the campaign. He seems likeable, did a good job toning down the anger that idiot Fantino stoked, handled the media well, and has a decent resume. I don't know if he's got the political instincts or experience to be PM, though. Certainly if he's got five or six years as party leader prior to becoming PM he'll gain that experience. Unless of course, Trudeau melts down in spectacular fashion before the next election.

So far the only one that I would consider is Chong mainly for the reason he disagreed with Harper on Quebec and very few of them running for leadership did that. Clements and Harper are very good friends before they came to Ottawa.

There is no politician in Canada that will ever attack or say anything negative about or against Quebec. Chong would whimper out if he ever became PM. All politicians must get down on their knees and kiss the great big butt of Quebec. If they don't then they will get called nasty names like being called intolerant and bigots who hate the french. The lame duck anglophone media would crucify them. That is a fact of life in Canada.

There is no one out there who is worth voting for. They all kiss the behind of political correctness. And that is the truth.

• 2 weeks later...

That pinko commie with a Muslim wife Peter McKay is out... I heard he's going to run for NDP leader instead...

So it will likely be between Bernier, and Raitt and O'Toole, should they declare. Evidently they have been waiting to see if McKay would run.

I just listened to Michael Chong speak on the Canadaland Commons podcast and he is a conservative leader I could get behind. Mike is for smaller government, balanced budgets, carbon pricing, strong environmental protections, choice and equality on social issues, decriminalization of pot, etc. He's also principled, intellgent, a skilled and natural speaker, who has a very calm and competent air about him. This is the kind of guy that could take back the centre and even some of the centre-left.

I just listened to Michael Chong speak on the Canadaland Commons podcast and he is a conservative leader I could get behind. Mike is for smaller government, balanced budgets, carbon pricing, strong environmental protections, choice and equality on social issues, decriminalization of pot, etc. He's also principled, intellgent, a skilled and natural speaker, who has a very calm and competent air about him. This is the kind of guy that could take back the centre and even some of the centre-left.

I like Chong's stand on parliamentary reform but I would have to go with Raitt, or even better, Ambrose.

Edited by Queenmandy85

I like Chong's stand on parliamentary reform but I would have to go with Raitt, or even better, Ambrose.

I think O'toole is the one most likely to do well against Trudeau. He's young and fresh and likable with a great background. Give him the right policies and as the economy continues to sour and debt continues to rise the shallowness of Trudeau's selfie style of governing will become more obvious.

I think O'toole is the one most likely to do well against Trudeau. He's young and fresh and likable with a great background. Give him the right policies and as the economy continues to sour and debt continues to rise the shallowness of Trudeau's selfie style of governing will become more obvious.

Wait, you told me the economy was fine.

I did? When did I say that?

When you claimed there was no reason to run a deficit because there was nothing wrong with the economy. You said that Harper only did it when there was an actual recession. We now know, of course, that the economy is the worst it's been since the 2009 recession, having the largest contraction since then last quarter. It seems that Trudeau was not wrong to run a $30B deficit aimed at economic improvement, getting money to people with less of it and increasing money for infrastructure.

Edited by Smallc

Well, who cares. Everyone who runs for a spot on the political roster basically are all the same. They all have to first take a course in how to be politically correct, and they are tested on it later. If they don't pass then it is back to the old grind, and back with we the peasants.

There is no one out there to vote for except unless a guy like Trump comes along. But then, the lame duck corporate media will put an end to any of his/her dreams of ever becoming a politician in this country. The elite just don't like people who tell it like it is like Trump does. It scares the chit out of them. :D

Wait, you told me the economy was fine.

I did? When did I say that?

Here's one example:

...there is a difference between going into deficit in the worst recession in history, and going into deficit during good times. The technical recession from earlier this year is over. And anyway, as Andrew Coyne pointed out in his column, most of the money Trudeau plans to spend isn't for infrastructure or improving the economy at all.