Name the next CPC and NDP leaders

hitops

1 minute ago, cybercoma said:

Stephen Harper was prime minister for nearly 10 years and his French was appallingly bad. I don't really think the Conservatives care.

I don't speak French so I don't know how good someone's is but I never heard anybody say his French was appallingly bad. He seemed quite able to communicate in French.

12 minutes ago, Newfoundlander said:

I don't speak French so I don't know how good someone's is but I never heard anybody say his French was appallingly bad. He seemed quite able to communicate in French.

Stephen Harper, of course, speaks the worst French by any long-serving Prime Minister since Lester Pearson.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/what-francophones-hear-when-the-party-leaders-speak-french

4 minutes ago, cybercoma said:

The article mentions he is much more comfortable in French than Dion was in English. Dion does not communicate great in English but I personally wouldn't consider it awful. The criticism seems to be that Harper is speaking the wrong kind of French, because it's Ottawa French. As for saying his is the worst of any long serving PM since Pearson, he's really the only non-Quebecker of the bunch. Windsor-born Martin, who never really served long-term, had a Francophone father and lived in and represented Montreal. Chretien, Mulroney and Trudeau Sr. were all Quebeckers.

(It never really dawned on me before that Harper was pretty much the first Anglophone PM in almost 40 years when he was elected)

5 hours ago, Newfoundlander said:

(It never really dawned on me before that Harper was pretty much the first Anglophone PM in almost 40 years when he was elected)

Yep, and now we're back to Francophones again. Anyone else notice they only make up 1/5 the population base?

Edited by Argus

On ‎2016‎-‎10‎-‎14 at 0:47 PM, Argus said:

Probably rusty, from what I've read, but he had to be bilingual in order to be an officer in the military so presumably he can get it back with some tutoring.

I guess then that most of our military leaders will soon be all from Quebec, eh?  Like the book I read one time called "Bilingual Today, French Tomorrow" is coming true for Canada. Not bad for a province that declares itself unilingual French and still is treated like a pampered pooch in Canada. I guess that Canada's Space agency being headquartered in Quebec will mean that all astronauts will have to be bilingual, eh? John Crosby once said that not being able to speak French should not be a priority in becoming PM for Canada. He didn't get to far with that one. Aw well.

19 hours ago, cybercoma said:

Pretty much all of our PM's have come from Quebec, and all came from a French background. Harper and the rest of Anglophone Canada did their best to keep the French happy which has always been an exercise in futility to say the least.  

14 hours ago, Argus said:

He was enough of a Francophone to say he is a Quebecer first and a Canadian second, and that if Quebec separates he goes with it.

A prime example of how much the francos really do care for Canada. And yet the Anglos keep kissing the butt. Aw well.

17 hours ago, Argus said:

Yep, and now we're back to Francophones again. Anyone else notice they only make up 1/5 the population base?

And the Anglophones appear to like it that way. The Anglophones have always been their own worse enemy. Sad situation indeed.  

2 hours ago, Topaz said:

When I was in public school many many moons ago, we had a French teacher that taught  French  spoken by people in France and the Quebec French is a little different I was told.

Yes it can be quite different. I know of someone who had a French degree, lived in Quebec for a little while and then moved to France. They only lived in France briefly because they didn't like it but one of the hardest parts about being there was the language. Despite being bilingual and being able to live in Quebec they found communicating with people in France tough.

On 2016-10-15 at 4:54 PM, Newfoundlander said:

The article mentions he is much more comfortable in French than Dion was in English. Dion does not communicate great in English but I personally wouldn't consider it awful. The criticism seems to be that Harper is speaking the wrong kind of French, because it's Ottawa French. As for saying his is the worst of any long serving PM since Pearson, he's really the only non-Quebecker of the bunch. Windsor-born Martin, who never really served long-term, had a Francophone father and lived in and represented Montreal. Chretien, Mulroney and Trudeau Sr. were all Quebeckers.

Mulroney was definitely anglophone and Clark's French sounded awful even to me. 

If the NDP is unable to split left of centre voters, which would appear to be the case for the near future, then the Conservatives will have to look to ex-PCs and fiscally frugal Chretien Liberals to mount a viable challenge. In the absence of a terrorist spectacular on Canadian soil, I don't see people like that ever voting for the likes of Leitch. She fails on both content and style. O'Toole and Raitt are steady performers who aren't going to fly off the handle. But what do I know - I wanted the astronaut in the last Lib race and see what happened there. 

Has Rempel definitely ruled a run out? Publicly describing yourself at 35 as 'so young' and a 'chick' is sort of weird. She does have talent and good looks to burn but needs to respond more maturely to criticism. 

8 hours ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

Has Rempel definitely ruled a run out? Publicly describing yourself at 35 as 'so young' and a 'chick' is sort of weird. She does have talent and good looks to burn but needs to respond more maturely to criticism. 

She didn't describe herself as 'so young' and a 'chick,' she spoke out against those telling her she was both those things and therefore not a leader. She pointed out that she was successful in her pre-political career and ran a government department.

Edited by Newfoundlander

On 2016-10-17 at 11:32 AM, Newfoundlander said:

She didn't describe herself as 'so young' and a 'chick,' she spoke out against those telling her she was both those things and therefore not a leader. She pointed out that she was successful in her pre-political career and ran a government department.

Quoting other people saying it is still strange. She's not that young. 

The fact of the matter is that Smirky Rempel is a pain. The likeability factor is not high right now. She's one of those people who starts sentences with 'I find it interesting' before she makes a snarky remark. Twitter tirades make a person look immature. That is obvious to most of us but not her. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

I have to say Maxime Bernier is certainly trying hard, and makes a lot of good points.

My bold policies put Canadians first in every region

I’ll slash income taxes for all Canadians and employers.

I’m going to abolish the capital gains tax, which means you’ll never be taxed on your savings. Ever.

I’ll end corporate welfare. And yes, that includes Bombardier and GM. 

I’ll put an end to supply management, because we shouldn’t pay twice what milk, chicken and eggs are worth.

As Prime Minister, my second budget will be balanced. And I’ll make sure we run only balanced budgets except in case of war or natural disaster.

I’ll privatize airports and bring in real competition. We pay some of the highest airfares in the world. Big government is the problem.

I’ll take the CRTC out of telecommunications. We’ll have real competition in the wireless market. 

I’m going to knock down each and every unconstitutional barrier to free trade between provinces.

I’m going to end the Canada Post monopoly on letter mail. We’ll have a modern postal market that is free and open to competition.

With a Maxime Bernier government, the federal government will respect the constitution. Ottawa will have no more business in health care. We’ll transfer all the tax points to the provinces and then voters will know for sure which politicians to hold accountable.

And I’m just getting started.

My plan to put Canadians first is based on four key principles: freedom and responsibility, fairness and respect.

Putting Canadians first should be the core goal of the Conservative Party. 

On 2016-10-20 at 11:58 AM, SpankyMcFarland said:

Quoting other people saying it is still strange. She's not that young. 

Why? I say bravo to her for pushing back against those making sexist comments instead of letting it slide.

You may not like her but I know lots of people who aren't fans of the CPC and really like her. She'd be a very strong candidate and I think cause a bit of excitement.