Name the next CPC and NDP leaders

hitops

I've seen Rempel spouting talking points on P&P, and I get the impression that she has only been politically successful because she is a relatively young and attractive woman in a party that tends to be associated with angry old men.

There are a ton of MPs who only get elected because they're in a safe party riding. And physical attraction is often a big help to success. She apparently did reasonably well in cabinet and performed well in the House. And maybe her being an attractive young blonde is something which would help the Conservatives' image - aside from her abilities or inabilities.

Also, is it too much to ask for a PM with a bit of private sector experience. I am sick of these career politicians who went straight into the legislature after finishing university. Bernier has solid experience in business and law, that is the kind of person I want in charge.

Most people who are successful in the private sector have little desire to trade that in for politics, which has more stress, less freedom and a lot lower pay. Bernier was the guy who was associating with a hells angels girl and left classified documents behind at her place. The Liberals and NDP would love him.

.Most people who are successful in the private sector have little desire to trade that in for politics, which has more stress, less freedom and a lot lower pay.

No kidding. This is the main problem with government, both in the legislature and the civil service, that we tend to get stuck with the people who are too incompetent and/or lazy to make it in the private sector. I imagine that Bernier took a major pay cut to get involved in public service, and in 10 years of being an elected representative there has been no hint of corruption about him. It leads me to believe that he is actually in this to do some good, and at the very least we should listen to what he has to say, regardless of a mistake he made a decade ago (missing files, biker chicks).

No kidding. This is the main problem with government, both in the legislature and the civil service, that we tend to get stuck with the people who are too incompetent and/or lazy to make it in the private sector. I imagine that Bernier took a major pay cut to get involved in public service, and in 10 years of being an elected representative there has been no hint of corruption about him. It leads me to believe that he is actually in this to do some good, and at the very least we should listen to what he has to say, regardless of a mistake he made a decade ago (missing files, biker chicks).

Yeah because leaving sensitive foreign affairs documents at an ex-girlfriends house, who was connected with the Hell's Angels, was just a little mistake.

Also, is it too much to ask for a PM with a bit of private sector experience. I am sick of these career politicians who went straight into the legislature after finishing university. Bernier has solid experience in business and law, that is the kind of person I want in charge.

Lisa Raitt's career is arguably more impressive than Bernier's.

It appears to me that the Conservatives are accepting the fact that, except for a major surprise, JT will be the PM after the next election. Because of that perception, whoever becomes the next leader will not be the PM once the Conservatives again are in power. The stars have already gone elsewhere for the next 6 -7 years leaving the battle to rookies.

Lisa Raitt may be the individual to sand some of the edges off the Conservative brand and prepare the battle field for 2023 while the John Bairds et al work on building their election strategy.

I have a lot of respect for Lisa Raitt and I will keep an open mind if she chooses to run for the leadership, but I have never really heard any interesting ideas from her. She seems like an extremely competent managerial type, but I don't see her leading the party to an election victory over the Liberals.

I'm no fan of the obtrusive, big-government regimes of Harper, Chretien, Martin, and Mulroney, but we will really have sunk to a new low if our two main parties are being led by airheads like Trudeau Jr and Michele Rempel.

Who says Rempel is an airhead? She's never done anything as dumbfoundingly dumb as your boy.

Edited by Argus

• 2 weeks later...

Erin O'Toole is now expected to enter the leadership race.

Yes, I read this in the Globe. Ex air force captain and lawyer, and he was personable and reasonable in replacing that oaf Fantino. The article doesn't say if he's bilingual but I believe you pretty much have to be to be a captain in the air force.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ex-veterans-affairs-minister-otoole-considering-tory-leadership-bid/article31313607/

Raitt and O'Toole are calming figures. Rempel is more strident. On her 'Power and Politics' appearances she was overly fond of starting sentences with 'I find it curious' accompanied by a sarcastic smirk. She may be the sort of woman who might rile some female voters. On the plus side, she's a good debater.

I have a feeling Mackay won't put his name is the race.

You're probably right. Had he any intention of running for the leadership, he probably wouldn't have retired last election. Then again, he might have lost last election had he run, and that would have been plenty embarrassing.

I think the next leader of the NDP should be Elizabeth May. With the party wanting to go in a different direction, she may choose to run for the NDP. She is more qualified and experienced than any others contenders at this time and the Green party is not that distant from the NDP. She has been elected and re-elected on personality and work ethic - traits that can be easily transferred to the NDP.

I think the next leader of the NDP should be Elizabeth May

You continue to suggest far left candidates because you despise a party which will not echo your absurd political views and cannot stand the thought of it existing as it is.

You continue to suggest far left candidates because you despise a party which will not echo your absurd political views and cannot stand the thought of it existing as it is.

I would assume that any leader of the NDP would have to be considered left of center. Actually my positions are generally center or right of center. I think you have your left and right confused and would certainly have difficulty keeping in step in a parade. Have you always had that difficulty? It may help if you print a big letter "L" on your left hand and a big "R" on your right hand. Make sure you get help with this so you don't screw them up.

You do know that the NDP s role is to represent left of center positions?

Your homework - read and differentiate the difference between the left and right in politics.

Edited by Big Guy

If Elizabeth May were to cross the floor to any side it would be the Liberals. The Greens and Grits have had a long standing mutually beneficial relationship, like when they didn't run a candidate in Central Nova so May could have an essentially head on match with Peter MacKay. She won't be switching parties though, so it's idle speculation.

I've said it before, but Gary Doer would make a fantastic NDP leader. I wish he would have ran in the 2012 leadership race - he probably could have won the election.