Your Top 5 Albums

Some albums could not be avoided because back in the day, even consumer level audio systems would include powerful stereo receivers/amplifiers and speaker systems that were heard all over the house or in dorm room halls. Something like Peter Frampton's Frampton Comes Alive would be played over and over and over and over and over to the point of wearing the vinyl record out.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like dad's old stereo that had woofers the size of pizzas! One of my favorite things was when my parents went out, I would take my Master of Puppets cassette and fast forward to "Orion", and turn up the volume. The deep bass of the opening chord would cause small objects in the room to oscillate, then the chords changed frequencies and different sets of objects would oscillate. It was the COOLEST THING EVER!

-k

G'n'f'n'R - Use Your Illusion (honorable mention Appetite for Destruction)

Metallica - Master of Puppets (honorable mention Ride The Lightning)

Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast (honorable mention Powerslave)

Faith No More - Angel Dust (honorable mention The Real Thing)

Sisters of Mercy - Flood

Shouldn't The Archies and John Denver be in there somewhere?

Paul's Boutique is an excellent choice. I'm too old to have grown up with it though.

I don't have a lot of fondness for what I actually listened to as a kid anymore. I've moved on.

Of course you have moved on but do you not appreciate the quality of the music you listened to as a teenager? Do you think it may have influenced you later in life?

I think the music I listened to in my formative years certainly opened my mind to opinions of others and events happening around the world. It's not unlike movies that have had an impact on one's life.

For example, Bruce Cockburn turned me on to environmental and social issues. To kill a mocking bird introduced me to racism. Playing for time introduced me to the holocaust. All of these events happened at a young age for me.

Surely there must be some music in your teens that influenced you

And of course there are some albums that are pure entertainment. Led zep introduced me to rock and roll and Robert plant

Edited by WestCoastRunner

When I hear music from my teens it is not necessarily the lyrics that come to mind but the state of my world at the time. If my life was in a good phase then the music is a good reflection. If not, then not.

For me it is like when people refer to the first American on the moon or when Kennedy was shot my mind races back to what I was doing and what was going on in my life rather than focussing on the consequences of the event.

At times, when I hear the "oldies" and really listen to the lyrics then they mean something very different to me now than they did at that time.

Guns N Roses - Appetite for destruction

Metallica - and justice for all

Marilyn Manson - Antichrist superstar

Beastie Boys - Paul's boutique

Eminem - The slim shady LP

I had a mangy dogfish crew that listened to this stuff on deck 23 hours a day...it was the only thing they could work to. That and some god-awful thing called System of a Down.

I insisted on playing Bach, Handel or Beethoven when they were all hung over on unloading day, the whining was music to my ears...you miss unloading day you miss payday too so...

Waaaah!

1. Gordon Lightfoot - Gord's Gold

Tommy - The Who tied with Neil Young - Harvest

Beatles Greatest Hits Volume I

Beatles Greatest Hits Volume II

Blue Rodeo - Five Days in July

Edited by jbg

Shouldn't The Archies and John Denver be in there somewhere?

It could be that the records that made my list stayed with me because they embodied my evolution from a happy-go-lucky kimlet into the bitter, rage-filled woman I've become.

-k

It could be that the records that made my list stayed with me because they embodied my evolution from a happy-go-lucky kimlet into the bitter, rage-filled woman I've become.

-k

Shouldn't you be a big Adele and Sarah Slean fan, then? :ph34r:

The music of my youth was happy-go-lucky and mostly mindless - much like I was. The music I enjoy now tends to have a certain rhythm as well as introspective. Unfortunately, since most music created today has neither I am left with the greats like Springsteen, the Eagles, Paul Simon, Bob Seger and Neil Young.

Edited by Argus

Top 5?

Hard to say, but in no special order. I'd have to really think about it as my fave album can come and go. Stuff I thought was good then, is terrible now. But these albums I have always been constantly listening to them since I discovered each one. My faves are different compared to what I would consider 'best' albums.

Tears for Fears - Elemental - lyrical content, great basslines and song concepts

Block Party - Silent Alarm - the drummer is the focal point here in my view

Senior Smoke - Electric Six - Serious musicians, not so serious content

The Pursuit of Happiness - Love Junk - can't describe the feeling of this one, but it's still fantastic after all these years.

Prince - 1999 - My kind of first taste of electronic music in the form of this CD. Very experimental with the tracks and sounds.

I agree with Zeppelin II and Sundown (would both make my top ten), but I'll add:

-Zeppelin IV

-Rolling Stones: Let it Bleed

-Waylon Jennings: Honky Tonk Heroes

-The Eagles: The Long Run

-Derek and the Dominos: Layla and other assorted love songs

These are all great picks... tough to refute a single one...

Arguing Zeppelin II vs. I vs. IV is tough as they could all take a place in the top 5 and not leave much room for anyone else!

These are all great picks... tough to refute a single one...

Arguing Zeppelin II vs. I vs. IV is tough as they could all take a place in the top 5 and not leave much room for anyone else!

I agree, its hard to pick a Zeppelin album, I went with IV growing up because it was the most played (on radio and my house) at the time and I saw them live in '75 (touring for Physical Graffiti) in Vancouver, the songs from IV, in my opinion, were always of the utmost prominence live........with that, I listen to most today III, BBC sessions and In through the out door for whatever reason.

I have to say it: the trilogy of garbage rock for me is Guns n Roses, Aerosmith and Bon Jovi. I understand them as the soundtrack of 14 year olds getting wasted, but the music? Bleh.

Aerosmith was great in the 70s......