Your Top 5 Albums

The Tea Party - Edges of Twilight

Greenday - American Idiot

Nirvana - In Utero

Zeppelin - Houses Of The Holy

Bob Marley - Legend

So many others could easily be in my top 5 though. The Clash - London Calling, Ramones - Ramones, Metallica - S&M or Black Album, The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper, Revolver, Rubber Soul, U2 - Achtung Baby, GNR - Appetite For Destruction, Pear Jam - Vitalogy, Chili's - Blood Sugar Sex Magik, Floyd - The Wall, Soundgarden - Superunknown, NIN - Pretty Hate Machine, Tool - Lateralus, Pumpkins - Siamese Dream.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aerosmith was great in the 70s......

cover band, and a poor one IMO.

Great marketing though

I agree, its hard to pick a Zeppelin album, I went with IV growing up because it was the most played (on radio and my house) at the time and I saw them live in '75 (touring for Physical Graffiti) in Vancouver, the songs from IV, in my opinion, were always of the utmost prominence live........with that, I listen to most today III, BBC sessions and In through the out door for whatever reason.

I saw them in 1969, about halfway between the release of the first and second albums. It was just an awesome and powerful performance, they burned the house down.

They were opening for Vanilla Fudge, one of the most ridiculous booking blunders imaginable. Nobody but nobody could follow Led Zeppelin on a stage. They played most of the first album and a couple of songs from the second.

The music I enjoy now tends to have a certain rhythm as well as introspective. Unfortunately, since most music created today has neither I am left with the greats like Springsteen, the Eagles, Paul Simon, Bob Seger and Neil Young.

Of course you are wrong. Plenty of wonderful, creative music exists today. You just need to look for it and the fact you haven't found any, proves you really aren't a progressive music lover.

Edited by WestCoastRunner

Aerosmith was great in the 70s......

I think "Dream On" is one of the great rock vocal performances ever. And the bass groove and guitar riff from "Sweet Emotion" are among my favorites.

But if I never hear "Love In An Elevator" or any of their other more recent crap again, it'll be too soon. "Living it up while I'm going down". pffff.

-k

Of course you are wrong. Plenty of wonderful, creative music exists today. You just need to look for it and the fact you haven't found any, proves you really aren't a progressive music lover.

There's a greater variety of music available commercially than ever before, but it's also harder to find. Commercial radio only plays a portion of what's out there, so you won't find the rest unless you actively go looking for it. And Argus is one of those who feels that television reached its apex with Archie Bunker; he's not likely to be out searching the interwebz for new music either.

-k

I think "Dream On" is one of the great rock vocal performances ever. And the bass groove and guitar riff from "Sweet Emotion" are among my favorites.

But if I never hear "Love In An Elevator" or any of their other more recent crap again, it'll be too soon. "Living it up while I'm going down". pffff.

-k

I don't mind their recent (1987+) stuff, the 90s stuff was over played on radio though. I agree with Sweet Emotion/Dream On, but was more partial to Mama Kin and Back in the Saddle and Last Child from Rocks (still have the LP, one of my first records).

There's a greater variety of music available commercially than ever before, but it's also harder to find. Commercial radio only plays a portion of what's out there, so you won't find the rest unless you actively go looking for it. And Argus is one of those who feels that television reached its apex with Archie Bunker; he's not likely to be out searching the interwebz for new music either.

-k

We are fortunate to have the mighty CKUA and a university station playing new music often, and neither is new to the scene. There are far more live venues and festivals now than ever before too. The live venues aren't bar bans playing derivative crap either, there is a healthy circuit available to the new and struggling. FACTOR and the Canada Council do some great work in promoting new and interesting artists as well.

And of course the Internet is awash in kitchen bands, and they are not hard to find with minimal search skills. And most of that is free.

There has never been more music so readily available for so little cost, no matter where you live.

• 2 months later...

This is like the British radio show Desert Island Discs where they ask for 8 fave songs to bring. I have spent too much ofmy life trying to sort THAT out without bringing up the albums as well. It's just too much to cope with.

One of my favourite albums has a resonance here - Argus by Wishbone Ash. It really did not get the attention on this side of the water that it deserved. Dark Side and Revolver would have to be there as well, and a Thin Lizzy album and maybe

Ziggy. OMG that's five. Honourable mention must go to albums by the original Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, the Kinks, and

one guilty pleasure that I have difficulty confessing to - Back to Black by Amy Winehouse. There's something dark and

beautiful in there that really killed me softly like nothing has for decades. So I have given you eight instead of five, like the British DID format.

Lists like these are mainly about imprinting, what you heard when you were still willing and able to listen. It takes at least fifty years, two generations, to decide if music is any good.

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

I agree, Bolan died waaaay too young, same as Morrison and Ronnie Van Zant....

Electric Warrior was my first album, followed by Led Zep Ii and Argus. I had a hard time comvincing my mom there was nothing wrong with the record during a Whole Lotta Love instrumental section.

Marc Bolan had a great guitar sound.

Hey, that's cool! I wasn't familiar with them. Great guitar sound.

If I'm not mistaken, Argus the MLW member used to use that album cover as his profile picture, but I didn't recognize it until now.

-k

We are fortunate to have the mighty CKUA and a university station playing new music often, and neither is new to the scene. There are far more live venues and festivals now than ever before too. The live venues aren't bar bans playing derivative crap either, there is a healthy circuit available to the new and struggling. FACTOR and the Canada Council do some great work in promoting new and interesting artists as well.

And of course the Internet is awash in kitchen bands, and they are not hard to find with minimal search skills. And most of that is free.

There has never been more music so readily available for so little cost, no matter where you live.

CKUA was my go to station for years, for those long Alberta drives. It was a shame when they stopped broadcasting on AM. Then I got Sirius and I haven't tuned in for a while. I'll have to revisit them.

Edit> Listening to them online now and it's great.

Edited by bcsapper

It's funny, most people pick Dark Side of the Moon or The Wall. People deeper in will sometimes pick Animals. However, I'm with you. This is hands down my favourite Pink Floyd album and one of my favourite albums of all time.

I'll say, choosing a best Pink Floyd album is rather difficult. At one point or another, I've considered 4 or 5 of them to be the best PF album - depending on my current condition or circumstances.

Wish you were here is certainly a great album, I could listen to "Shine on..." all day long, and probably have, but the song "Wish you were here" (included in my all-time top 10) has been so overplayed that I find myself leaning away from playing it. "Dark Side..." probably has a better flow and more individual stuff and "Meddle" (One of these days, Fearless, Echoes) is cover to cover good but...As time goes by, I have personally found that "The Wall" still keeps my interest better than any other Pink Floyd album.

P.S - I reserve the right to change my mind on this.

The most 'defining' albums (not necessarily favourite) of my life, in chronological order, are:

Pink Floyd The Wall

AC/DC Back in Black

Lenny Kravitz Are you Gonna go my Way

Snoop Dog Doggie Style

Tupac All Eyes on Me

There are so many others, but I think these would be the top 5 before mixed CD's, and eventually iTunes singles, came along.

It's funny, most people pick Dark Side of the Moon or The Wall. People deeper in will sometimes pick Animals. However, I'm with you. This is hands down my favourite Pink Floyd album and one of my favourite albums of all time.

I like all of those PF albums. The truth of the matter is I chose The Wall instead of Wish You Were Here. Actually almost every item on my list was different. Then I considered the OP requirements:

the top 5 albums that have resonated with you while growing up and into adulthood

A little Wiki informed me that The Wall came out later than my growing up and into adulthood phase. So being a 70's kid - what did I listen to all the time?

So edited the post and my selections. April Wine almost made the list! April Wine for goddsake...

Edit: Forgot the most important part: When I checked wiki for production years I then saw Wish You Were Here. O F**K YA! Right! how could I forget?

Edited by Peter F

• 5 months later...