Should 8YO girls go topless?..should boys?

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=641120

An 8YO girl was asked to cover her upper body at a wading pool in Guelph. Now the parents are 'outraged" that society is sexualizing her. They are also trying to start a campaign that has boys cover up too - just to fair.

In my opinion, 8 years old is a little too old to be going topless. At 8, many girls are getting nubbins and some getting their periods.

For extra humour, check out "step mom's" reaction when the guy uses the word sexualize.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it distasteful at any time an adult uses a child to forward their own agenda. A parent to use their own child is mindless. At home, the parents can run around naked in their pool and have their children follow but I believe in a public place one has to consider the sensibilities of other children and parents.

It is legal in Canada for a female to go topless in public. This means that parents of a 13 year old can allow their female child to go topless in public - the question is why would they do so? I still believe that it is a matter of decency and modesty for females to learn to cover up early in life. It may not be fair but life is not fair. When she becomes a teenager and decides to go topless in a public pool then that will be her choice - but I doubt they will agree at that point.

But I am a minority opinion on this board. At least the parents accompanied the child to the pool. There are some on this board who would let the girl go to the pool unsupervised.

Apparently that pool has a sign telling users that any female child over the age of 4 should be wearing a top.

I think the parents are miffed not because of the issue but because someone questioned their parenting skills.

I find it distasteful at any time an adult uses a child to forward their own agenda. A parent to use their own child is mindless. At home, the parents can run around naked in their pool and have their children follow but I believe in a public place one has to consider the sensibilities of other children and parents.

It is legal in Canada for a female to go topless in public. This means that parents of a 13 year old can allow their female child to go topless in public - the question is why would they do so? I still believe that it is a matter of decency and modesty for females to learn to cover up early in life. It may not be fair but life is not fair. When she becomes a teenager and decides to go topless in a public pool then that will be her choice - but I doubt they will agree at that point.

Yup. The sooner they learn their bodies are filthy the better amirite?

Personally, I wouldn't do it. Society in general may not sexualize an 8 year old but there are many creeps out there who do. They are usually quite noticeable as they hang out at public pools and water-parks. A few years ago when my daughter was 3 we were on a beach and a guy was trying to take pictures of her while appearing like he's taking pictures of pretty much nothing behind her. I scared him away.

Having said that, my standards should not be the benchmark for parenting, if you don't mind your child being fantasy fodder for perverts, then by all means, let your 8 year old go topless.

I side with the parents even though I think they're a bit icky with their actions.

The sooner parents realize that public pools are the number one stalking place for pedophiles, the better.

Citation?

As a side not, it's perfectly legal for women to go topless in Ontario. It's a shame more women don't. ;)

Edited by Boges

Yup. The sooner they learn their bodies are filthy the better amirite?

Sexual-abuse prevention starts with teaching your kids (boys and girls) that some of their body parts are for her eyes only, nobody should look at them or touch them.

It's not about shaming them, it's about empowering them.

Sexual-abuse prevention starts with teaching your kids (boys and girls) that some of their body parts are for her eyes only, nobody should look at them or touch them.

It's not about shaming them, it's about empowering them.

Touching yes, but look at them? Give me a break. Plus, we're talking about 8 year olds: they don't often have anything to look at.

When you tell a kid their (non-existent, non sexual) body parts need to be hidden, you're telling them they have something to be ashamed of, that there's something wrong with their bodies.

Touching yes, but look at them? Give me a break. Plus, we're talking about 8 year olds: they don't often have anything to look at.

When you tell a kid their (non-existent, non sexual) body parts need to be hidden, you're telling them they have something to be ashamed of, that there's something wrong with their bodies.

As I said earlier on the thread, the parents have a right to do this even if it's something I would choose not to do.

It's interesting because I see parents letting their kids runs around butt-naked in water-parks (something I wouldn't do), but I've had friends of mine refuse my daughter's bikini for their daughter because it's 'too sexy'. It really depends on the parents, we're all over the spectrum.

As for looking without touching, no sexual-abuse could happen that way too.

The sooner parents realize that public pools are the number one stalking place for pedophiles, the better.

The studies show that conservatives react strongly to fear but what happened to make the so afraid? Terrorists, Pedophiles, Homosexuals, oh my. Terrorists, Pedophiles, Homosexuals, oh my.

The studies show that conservatives react strongly to fear but what happened to make the so afraid? Terrorists, Pedophiles, Homosexuals, oh my. Terrorists, Pedophiles, Homosexuals, oh my.

It's not about fear, it's about not wanting some creep jacking off to pictures of my daughter. Those two hippies are so worried about society sexualizing their 8 yo daughter, but they're clueless to the fact that there are sickos who will take pictures of their child for perverted reasons.

It's not about fear, it's about not wanting some creep jacking off to pictures of my daughter. Those two hippies are so worried about society sexualizing their 8 yo daughter, but they're clueless to the fact that there are sickos who will take pictures of their child for perverted reasons.

How... reactionary.

A perv could take pictures of your daughter's feet and get off on it.

Or her hands, or her face or her wearing a school uniform or a bikini.

Who knows? Maybe even if she wore a full on burqa there could still be pervs who get off on that too.

I mean, who cares as long as your daughter is not actually being molested.

As mentioned, I caught a creep taking pictures of my daughter and while I agree and I would personally cover up my 8 year old, it's not my place or your place to decide how other parents should raise their kids.

They're not breaking any laws.

As mentioned, I caught a creep taking pictures of my daughter and while I agree and I would personally cover up my 8 year old, it's not my place or your place to decide how other parents should raise their kids.

They're not breaking any laws.

Sure, it's just a matter of different parenting. I tell my girls that their body is private, and they don't need to show it to strangers. No shame, no embarrassement - just privacy.

It's funny that just a few years ago it was popular to be open with kids about strangers and perverts and keeping safe, now we've decided that girls (even at a pubescent age) can just go topless in public without a care in the world

It's not about fear, it's about not wanting some creep jacking off to pictures of my daughter.

So it is about fear, then.

Sure, it's just a matter of different parenting. I tell my girls that their body is private, and they don't need to show it to strangers. No shame, no embarrassement - just privacy.

Why is it private though?

It's funny that just a few years ago it was popular to be open with kids about strangers and perverts and keeping safe, now we've decided that girls (even at a pubescent age) can just go topless in public without a care in the world

Yeah, the '80s stranger danger hysteria messed up a lot of people's perception of risk, but some people are trying to correct the imbalance in their own kids.

So it is about fear, then.

Why is it private though?

Yeah, the '80s stranger danger hysteria messed up a lot of people's perception of risk, but some people are trying to correct the imbalance in their own kids.

There is a difference between fear and dislike. I don't fear anything, however i would dislike the idea of a pervert masturbating to pictures of my topless 8 YO daughter - and believe me, it does happen. If you have an 8YO girl, then fine, let all the creeps masturbate to her picture all you want, I prefer to not go down that road. A naked 8YO girl is more sexualized than one wearing a bathing suit.

In what world is keeping your body private a bad thing?

In what world is keeping your body private a bad thing?

In a world where you sexualize an 8 year old's body and try to dictate how people should dress, making it the 8 year old's (parents) responsibility that there might be predators out there instead of going after the predators themselves.

In a world where you sexualize an 8 year old's body and try to dictate how people should dress, making it the 8 year old's (parents) responsibility that there might be predators out there instead of going after the predators themselves.

I wish we could go after the predators harder - believe me, that would be great. Unfortunately, that's not how it works though.

No one is sexualizing an 8YO girl. Kids go naked to a certain age, then at a certain point they need to start wearing bathing suits - nothing wrong with that. Why don't these parents or any of us allow that same 8YO to go completely naked?

P.S - They may not even be predators, they're usually just voyeurs who snap pics and go jerk off.

Edited by Hal 9000

Predators don't snap pics of 8yo boys' nipples?

The predator schtick is overplayed.

Boys are just as much targets as girls.

That's not a good reason to make a little girl feel bad for not having a shirt on at a wading pool.

How the kid is made to feel should be the priority. Anybody who would make a little kid feel bad should have the f'n shirt stuffed in their ignorant flapping mouth.

imo

:D

Edited by jacee

Predators don't snap pics of 8yo boys' nipples?

The predator schtick is overplayed.

Boys are just as much targets as girls.

That's not a good reason to make a little girl feel bad for not having a shirt on at a wading pool.

How the kid is made to feel should be the priority. Anybody who would make a little kid feel bad should have the f'n shirt stuffed in their ignorant flapping mouth.

imo

:D

This whole crap about the kid feeling bad is just that - crap. If the kid feels bad about putting on a shirt, I'll guarantee that it's simply a reflection of what the parents have put onto her.

Do you feel bad about putting on a shirt or bathing suit Jacee?

Edited by Hal 9000