Should 8YO girls go topless?..should boys?

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not about fear, it's about not wanting some creep jacking off to pictures of my daughter. Those two hippies are so worried about society sexualizing their 8 yo daughter, but they're clueless to the fact that there are sickos who will take pictures of their child for perverted reasons.

Taking pictures in public is protected under the charter.

WWWTT

Everyone should be able to walk around topless at any age.

And bottomless, as well. The human body is not something to be ashamed of.

At the very least, the government shouldn't be having laws about this. Private establishments can have dress codes, and many families might instill certain values regarding covering up if they wish, but the government shouldn't be in the business of telling people that their bodies must be hidden.

Edited by Bonam

At the very least, the government shouldn't be having laws about this. Private establishments can have dress codes, and many families might instill certain values regarding covering up if they wish, but the government shouldn't be in the business of telling people that their bodies must be hidden.

Sure. Why not?

Sure. Why not?

SMH...

Are you guys serious? You'd have your children going into a public pool completely naked?

Like other threads dealing with children and parental responsibilities, there is a difference of opinion between those with children and those without and arguing a philosophical point.

Hmmm, pretty sure the father who drives his 18 year old daughter to life drawing every 2 weeks so she can pose naked for the class would beg to differ.

I also think many of the models, one of whom comes from a family of nudists, would beg to differ to.

Non sequitur big time here.

Sometimes a naked body is just a naked body and if someone else gets off over it then why should we care? How is looking at and/or being looked at perverted (assuming no leering going on, of course)?

Gosh, let's not let our children run naked at the beaches of BC. Good grief.

What's next? Breast feeding? Seriously people, this is a stupid thing to worry about, she's 8, and it would make no difference if she was 18 or 80. I couldn't imagine having to tell an 8 year old girl to put her top on, just why exactly.

I walked past the beach on Sunday; it was jam packed, and among the crowd was a topless young woman. The dozens of young men in the area didn't go berzerk or attack her like a bunch of pit-bulls after a steak. Anarchy didn't break out. The mountain god did not become angry and erupt a volcano. There wasn't a boobquake. The world didn't end.

Personally my preference is to keep the kimmables covered in public, though. I would just prefer to not be a center of attention. Also, I sunburn really easily.

If I had kids I think I would want them to follow fairly traditional standards of dress until they're old enough that I can't tell them what to do.

Also, if we're talking about community standards and common decency, is there a way we could consider a ban on over-the-hill, over-tanned, overweight dudes showing off their leathery moobs in public?

-k

What's next? Breast feeding? Seriously people, this is a stupid thing to worry about, she's 8, and it would make no difference if she was 18 or 80. I couldn't imagine having to tell an 8 year old girl to put her top on, just why exactly.

Breastfeeding? What eactly is your connection between breastfeeding and letting kids run wild.

Edited by WestCoastRunner

I walked past the beach on Sunday; it was jam packed, and among the crowd was a topless young woman. The dozens of young men in the area didn't go berzerk or attack her like a bunch of pit-bulls after a steak. Anarchy didn't break out. The mountain god did not become angry and erupt a volcano. There wasn't a boobquake. The world didn't end.

Personally my preference is to keep the kimmables covered in public, though. I would just prefer to not be a center of attention. Also, I sunburn really easily.

If I had kids I think I would want them to follow fairly traditional standards of dress until they're old enough that I can't tell them what to do.

Also, if we're talking about community standards and common decency, is there a way we could consider a ban on over-the-hill, over-tanned, overweight dudes showing off their leathery moobs in public?

-k

I think the issue was kids running around topless in the lake. Let's not become puritan like the u.s.

Breastfeeding? What eactly is your connection between breastfeeding and letting kids run wild.

Well it's obvious, but since you asked, there seems to be a far too puritanical attitude towards women's breasts, and as there have been complaints even about women breastfeeding in public, i put the apparent shock of an 8 yr old girl going topless in a similarly stupid category.

You people are drawing "parallels" are really parallel at all. This isn't an 18 YO that's volunteered for an art class in a controlled environment, or a young woman who goes to a topless beach or breast feeding. No one here is oppressing women, no one's showing a puritanical attitude against breasts.

I simply think that 8 YO girls are beginning to enter that pubescent stage and should start to protect their privacy - their body. They are getting small boobies, pubic hair and in many cases, starting the stage of periods. If you people want to parade your children around naked throughout these years - fair enough, but don't try to turn this around to society's problem, or Hal's uptightness.

....and people wonder how or why the younger generation has entitlement issues.

There is a difference between fear and dislike.

PoTAYto poTAHto.

I don't fear anything, however i would dislike the idea of a pervert masturbating to pictures of my topless 8 YO daughter - and believe me, it does happen.

How do you know this?

If you have an 8YO girl, then fine, let all the creeps masturbate to her picture all you want, I prefer to not go down that road. A naked 8YO girl is more sexualized than one wearing a bathing suit.
We're not talking about naked here.
In what world is keeping your body private a bad thing?

Given that we live in a world where women and girls are routinely judged/shamed for wearing too many clothes/not enough clothes, I think it's worth having a conversation about why these things are.

PoTAYto poTAHto.

How do you know this?

We're not talking about naked here.

Given that we live in a world where women and girls are routinely judged/shamed for wearing too many clothes/not enough clothes, I think it's worth having a conversation about why these things are.

I know it because I have kids, friends and sisters, because I read the warnings sent out, because i (and my wife) work in the social system, because I know people at the police station, because I live and breathe in the real word.

If you people want to parade your children around naked throughout these years - fair enough, but don't try to turn this around to society's problem, or Hal's uptightness.

....and people wonder how or why the younger generation has entitlement issues.

Well, I wonder about these alleged "entitlement issues."

Are they the sense of entitlement by society to force women to cover up? And by extension children?

No, this is merely a difference of opinion: some people are like me and go "meh" when it comes to nudity and other people get all excited about it and think of sexual predation etc.