The Dylann Roof thread

Boges

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No need to dispatch a cop, just alert the owner they went offline and put the gun back on charge. There is no place you can go on the planet these days and not have GPS coverage. When you put the weapon in the storage safe, it connects to the charger and an external antenna that maitains coverage. Only a joke if you are not up on current technology.

I assume that a big GPS expert such as yourself is aware that GPS is one-way communication, and allows the user to ascertain the location of the GPS satellites, but doesn't transmit the user's location to the satellites. You could at best have the GPS data-log the gun's location, then transmit the data back to a central server once it is within range of a cell-phone tower or some other type of communications link.

And the GPS satellite has no way of knowing how many users are or aren't receiving it. The system wouldn't be able to determine when the user has disabled the system such as by "accidentally" draining the battery. Or when the system has lost GPS reception such as when stored securely in the trunk of a vehicle. Or held in such a way that the user's body blocks GPS reception. Or when the gun is taken inside a building, or any other situation where it doesn't have a clear view of the sky. Or heck, even covered with a tin-foil wrapper. The GPS is going to be connecting and disconnecting so often that the number of false alarms generated would be utterly unmanageable.

Maybe as much as the money wasted on the infamous Gun Registry.

I know, right? This sounds absurdly expensive.

If somebody could articulate how this gun-phone tracking system would actually help save lives and how much it would cost, then we could compare that to how many lives could be saved if the same amount of money were put into healthcare or even improving high-risk road locations.

-k

GPS all unto itself is a one way system, however as I say, most of us now have a phone that has an algorithm installed that turns it into 2 way. So you can go to any old computer, fire up the app., and find the location via GPS, of your phone you left somewhere. Even if it has fallen out of your pocket and is now roaming around the city in a cab you took hoe an hour ago. So build the same tech. into new guns sold for essentially the same purpose. It wouldn't be foolproof, not many systems are, and it might require some extra effort and a few extra bucks on the part of gun owners, but I cant see why it would need to be so burdensome given today's technology, and it might stop so many guns getting into the hands of the wrong people.

But vast portions of this country-- especially areas where hunters will be their rifles and shotguns-- don't have cell phone coverage. So half of your system-- the part that tells the authorities where the gun is located-- would be out of commission. As well, GPS reception is very finicky. I dunno about you, but for me, my car GPS has a hard enough time maintaining a signal sitting right on my dashboard in an upright orientation.

So anyway, how does any of this actually save lives?

Also, you think I as a gun-owner am going to spend a bunch of my money to have some mook come to my home to spot-weld some contraption onto my classic rifles? I anticipate that the compliance rate for your proposal would make the dear departed Long Gun Registry seem wildly popular by comparison.

"So... you bought a Mosin Nagant in 2013? Where is that gun located? We'd like to install our lo-jack system onto it. At your expense, of course."

"Oh... that fell in the lake while I was kayaking to my favorite shooting location. Heartbreaking."

"I see. And you bought an SVT-40 in 2012? We'd like to install our--"

"A bear ate it... it was terrible! ...just talking about it brings back terrifying memories."

"Ok, your 1927 Browning--"

"Meteorite strike. Darndest thing I've ever seen. I was lucky to survive, let me tell you."

-k

Edited by kimmy

Fear is a powerful thing, and is also why the gun-control movement dances upon the graves of victims of criminal violence to attempt to further their own agenda.......

Like the NRA and Republicans who instantly call for more guns? Guns are efficient killing machines, possession of which leads to more deaths and increased chance of death regardless of storage practices.

Results show that regardless of storage practice, type of gun, or number of firearms in the home, having a gun in the home was associated with an increased risk of firearm homicide and firearm suicide in the home.

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/160/10/929.full#ref-30

If you have a gun, everybody in your home is more likely than your non-gun-owning neighbors and their families to die in a gun-related accident, suicide or homicide.

Furthermore, there is no credible evidence that having a gun in your house reduces your risk of being a victim of a crime. Nor does it reduce your risk of being injured during a home break-in.

https://www.minnpost.com/second-opinion/2012/12/health-risk-having-gun-home

The health risks of owning a gun are so established and scientifically non-controvertible that the American Academy of Pediatrics issued a policy statement in 2000 recommending that pediatricians urge parents to remove all guns from their homes.

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/105/4/888.full

Like the NRA and Republicans who instantly call for more guns? Guns are efficient killing machines, possession of which leads to more deaths and increased chance of death regardless of storage practices.

Guns are a legal product and possession is a constitutional right....unlike healthcare in Canada, which also leads to increased chance of death, IMHO.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

But vast portions of this country-- especially areas where hunters will be their rifles and shotguns-- don't have cell phone coverage. So half of your system-- the part that tells the authorities where the gun is located-- would be out of commission. As well, GPS reception is very finicky. I dunno about you, but for me, my car GPS has a hard enough time maintaining a signal sitting right on my dashboard in an upright orientation.

So anyway, how does any of this actually save lives?

Also, you think I as a gun-owner am going to spend a bunch of my money to have some mook come to my home to spot-weld some contraption onto my classic rifles? I anticipate that the compliance rate for your proposal would make the dear departed Long Gun Registry seem wildly popular by comparison.

"So... you bought a Mosin Nagant in 2013? Where is that gun located? We'd like to install our lo-jack system onto it. At your expense, of course."

"Oh... that fell in the lake while I was kayaking to my favorite shooting location. Heartbreaking."

"I see. And you bought an SVT-40 in 2012? We'd like to install our--"

"A bear ate it... it was terrible! ...just talking about it brings back terrifying memories."

"Ok, your 1927 Browning--"

"Meteorite strike. Darndest thing I've ever seen. I was lucky to survive, let me tell you."

-k

Must be something wrong with your gps. I dunno if I am an expert but I have used gps to navigate in corners of the planet that are certainly every bit as remote as anywhere you could find in Canada. As for gaps in cellphone coverage, so what. If you acquire an illegal firearm but have to stay out of cell coverage areas in order not to be tracked, then that puts you also out of range of where most mass shootings occur, which is usually in town somewhere.. Or for that matter, have it tied to sat phone, again worldwide.

In the US, the odds of dying in a mass shooting are literally the same as being struck by lightning.

-k

The same is true of dying from terrorism and yet look at where we are in terms of our reaction to it.

Speaking of putting things into perspective - it's pretty clear the proponents of undying vigilance against terrorism are often the very same people who shun gun control. Conversely it's usually gun control advocates who roll their eyes at the fear mongering that many gun enthusiasts surround terrorism with.

Maybe there's something else we should be trying to control.

One difference between a gun and a cell phone:

* your cell phone (and the GPS chip inside it) stops working when the batteries are dead, while a gun works just fine without batteries.

-k

Put the chip in the magazine/clip and configure everything so that the gun refuses to fire in the event the chip fails.

And your cell phone is not repeatedly being subjected to 10000 psi internal explosions........isn't science fun ;)

Nobody in this thread is talking about putting chips in bullets but that said...if you can make a bullet that has an on-board computer that steers itself towards a target you can make a bullet that steers away from one too. If microelectronics can in fact survive the shock of being fired IN a bullet, GPS/RFID chips can also survive the shock when they're merely embedded in the stock, clip, barrel, whatever.

The bullets have a real-time guidance system to track targets, and can change their course if needed.

Story

Those who say it can't be done shouldn't stand ion the way of those who are doing it.

Edited by eyeball

So somebody forgets to put their gun-phone on the gun-phone charger and the battery goes dead, what happens? The RCMP gets dispatched?

If somebody takes their gun-phone off into the woods out of transmission range and the RCMP master gun-phone tracking system loses it, what happens? The RCMP get sent off into the bush to find the missing gun-phone?

If somebody puts their gun-phone into their metal storage safe, as mandated by law, and the metal safe prevents the transmitter from reaching the RCMP master gun-phone tracking system, what happens? The RCMP gets called out again?

Ok, pretending for a moment that the system you're proposing isn't a complete joke from a technological and feasibility standpoint, how much are you prepared to spend on this system?

-k

Enough to make alarms sound when a gun gets too close to a school, a mall or any other crowded public space.

How much do we spend to keep our children, communities and capitalism safe from lightning strikes and terrorism?

Guns are a legal product and possession is a constitutional right....unlike healthcare in Canada, which also leads to increased chance of death, IMHO.

No healthcare is definitely a constitutional right in Canada... one that Harper sure loves to undermine. Though he has never been one for the Constitution or the Charter of Rights. Hey look BC2004 constitutional rights can in fact be underminded! Look out they're comin' fer yer guns!!! Everybody into the backyard bunker!!

No healthcare is definitely a constitutional right in Canada... one that Harper sure loves to undermine. Though he has never been one for the Constitution or the Charter of Rights. Hey look BC2004 constitutional rights can in fact be underminded! Look out they're comin' fer yer guns!!! Everybody into the backyard bunker!!

Healthcare is most certainly not a constitutional right in Canada. Possession of firearms is an enumerated right for U.S. citizens, affirmed by the highest court in the land.

It's interesting how every thread on the subject of gun violence gets hijacked and dragged down by technical minutia. Also that posters who can spout technical specs of various firearms can't actually articulate the kinds of policies they'd like to see to address the supposed underlying issues that make America so violent (even though the United State's overall crime rate is comparable to those of other industrial nations).

Edited by Black Dog