The Dylann Roof thread

Boges

Would it make everyone happy if he was called a terrorist? Would that make Muslims who kill people in the name of Allah somehow a comparable crime to this?

He's a racist criminal. He would be given the Death Penalty.

I want to know how this dude wasn't on the authorities radar before hand. LOOK AT HIM!!! Who wears there hair like that to start. Those are apparently racist flags similar to the Stars and Bars on his jacket.

Dylann-Storm-Roof.jpg

Here's a link if you hadn't heard.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2015/jun/18/charleston-church-shooting-suspect-latest-updates

Edited by Boges

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what you mean here.

I just don't think this crime is terrorism. Though we don't really know his true motive (we'll see). But I suspect it wasn't to install fear in the black community or the population at large that loser white guys are going to be murdering them in church.

I just don't think this crime is terrorism.

Why isn't it? Hate crimes are defined as such because they terrorize an entire community of people, making them targets for violence for something they were born into. Why wouldn't this be terrorism? Why isn't he a "thug" while we're at it? Edited by cybercoma

Why isn't it? Hate crimes are defined as such because they terrorize an entire community of people, making them targets for violence for something they were born into. Why wouldn't this be terrorism? Why isn't he a "thug" while we're at it?

Have you seen a picture of him. Thug isn't what I'd classify him as. He's a racist loser, but if you want to call him a thug.

Call it terrorism if you want, but it's a different type of "crime" than the ones perpetrated by Muslims inspired by ISIS or al Qaeda.

That about sums it up. He's not a thug because thug is coded language for "nigger."

Actually no. I have no problem seeing white people as thugs. Those dudes in Texas that shot up each other at a restaurant are all thugs.

Dudes with Bowl Haircuts don't appear to be thugs. But yeah, I suppose murdering 9 people is "thug" behaviour.

Actually no. I have no problem seeing white people as thugs. Those dudes in Texas that shot up each other at a restaurant are all thugs.

Dudes with Bowl Haircuts don't appear to be thugs. But yeah, I suppose murdering 9 people is "thug" behaviour.

You say that in this discussion, but that's completely dishonest. You personally might see them as thugs, but you would rarely describe them as such and the media sure as hell doesn't describe them the same way. You would be the exception for doing so. The media's portrayal of black and white violence is completely racist. But we're drifting off topic. Edited by cybercoma

Adam Gopnik at The New Yorker summed it up nicely, "Only in America are gun massacres of this kind routine, expectable, and certain to continue."

Fox News and the US right are already labeling this as Christian persecution and calling for churches to be armed. Yes, again they really believe the answer to a racist killing black people, with a gun given as a birthday present, is more guns!

Edited by Mighty AC

I just don't think this crime is terrorism. Though we don't really know his true motive (we'll see). But I suspect it wasn't to install fear in the black community or the population at large that loser white guys are going to be murdering them in church.

I'm curious as to how you define terrorism. Did you know one of the first groups to be classified as a terrorist organization in the U.S. was the KKK? Why? Because of stuff like this.

I'm curious as to how you define terrorism. Did you know one of the first groups to be classified as a terrorist organization in the U.S. was the KKK? Why? Because of stuff like this.

I suppose the historic significance of this church changes things. I suppose we have to discover the true motive of this dude and if he did it for a greater cause like the IRA or Muslim terrorists do.

I suppose we have to discover the true motive of this dude and if he did it for a greater cause like the IRA or Muslim terrorists do.

Well, he seemingly articulated it simply enough.

"I have to do it. You rape our women and you're taking over our country. And you have to go."

Pretty run of the mill sentiments you see people making all the time with regards to race however the statement "you're taking over our country" does indicate the direction any search for the deeper cultural malaise these sentiments are rooted in might take.

The only reason the American right wants more armed black people is so that they can have more dead black people shot by cops.

Is it because anybody who is socially and/or fiscally conservative is automatically a racist?

How would you classify somebody who is socially liberal but fiscally conservative?

Does it mean that there is no progessive that is a racist?

I'm just curious as to how you arrive at these sweeping conclusions.

Because TERRORISM is when MUSLIMS attack WHITE PEOPLE. Get it ?

I remember when I was growing up the IRA bombed some white people. I had no idea they were Muslims. Go figure.

I suppose the historic significance of this church changes things.

I think the fact this was in South Carolina, a state that still flies the flag of a slaver nation, would have got us there anyway.

I suppose we have to discover the true motive of this dude and if he did it for a greater cause like the IRA or Muslim terrorists do.

Is it not a pretty easy assumption based on what we knew from the start?

Well, they weren't terrorists then -> see definition.

Yes they were. So were the UVF, the FLQ, the Red Army Faction, the PLO, the Baader Meinhof gang, FARC, etc. Lots of them. Some of them were Muslims, but I don't think that was why they terrorized.