Suspects Shot Dead At $10K Muhammad Cartoon Contest

Just wanting to be clear is just not you, Boges. Clarifying the issues is the last thing on your mind.

It's not you, it seems.

Answer the question rather than try to change to subject of the thread - are people justified in killing other people because those people draw cartoons?

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me any attack on our freedoms is not a "miniscule" event.

It is also what this thread is about so if you want to talk about war dead then go to the appropriate thread and discuss it there.

But monstrous, monumental attacks upon the freedoms of Vietnamese, Nicaraguans, Cambodians, Angolans, Koreans, Filipinos, Chileans, ... are, to you, miniscule events.

It's not you, it seems.

Answer the question rather than try to change to subject of the thread - are people justified in killing other people because those people draw cartoons?

Are the USA, UK and others justified in killing millions of other people because they want to steal their wealth?

No these are/were not miniscule events.

But they are not the subject of this thread so if you want to discus them then by all means start a thread to discuss them.

I was in Vietnam/Laos/Thailand last year so I already know that many of the people there have moved on (although to listen to them discuss the events is quite fascinating).

Nevertheless, that is not the subject of this thread.

Edited by msj

Are the USA, UK and others justified in killing millions of other people because they want to steal their wealth?

Not the subject of this thread so no need to answer given that you refuse to answer a simple question that is the subject of this thread.

You've outdone yourself, Boges. I wonder how many more people are going to attempt this grand canyonish leap of illogic.

What like bringing up Vietnam in a thread about Muslims trying to shoot civilians because the feel their God has been blasphemed?

No these are/were not miniscule events.

But you make them out to be, comparing millions dying from actions that are the equivalent to what the Nazis did, actions that are directly responsible for what is going on today.

I was in Vietnam/Laos/Thailand last year so I already know that many of the people there have moved on (although to listen to them discuss the events is quite fascinating).

War crimes never end. If those people held the power that exists for the USA, there would be many USA officials that would be in the prisoners dock.

There is a strong connection of the topic under discussion in this thread to these all too typical actions American actions.

What like bringing up Vietnam in a thread about Muslims trying to shoot civilians because the feel their God has been blasphemed?

There you go again. Vietnam is just one of a long long pattern of Afghanistans/Iraqs.

And you folks wonder why people are angry. No contrition at all for your countries, with your supporting tax dollars murdering people, destroying their lives, poisoning their children.

It may be just a cartoon to you but to Muslims its something very different and the woman who did it should be fined. No person within the world but especially here in North American should make fun of any religion leader.

This comment is asinine and its practice violates constitutional rights.

There you go again. Vietnam is just one of a long long pattern of Afghanistans/Iraqs.

And you folks wonder why people are angry. No contrition at all for your countries, with your supporting tax dollars murdering people, destroying their lives, poisoning their children.

Perhaps you could explain how lives are destroyed? I mean, with the murdering of people, aren't the lives technically destroyed already when they're murdered? Or do you mean it to be a separate category? I love the bonus throw-in though, the "poisoning of children"! Your imagination is priceless!

It may be just a cartoon to you but to Muslims its something very different and the woman who did it should be fined. No person within the world but especially here in North American should make fun of any religion leader.

At least this comment is on topic.

The problem with blasphemy laws is that they are used to curtail opposition to the powers that be and/or the powers that will be.

IOW: by making anything sacred you are automatically giving it a pass from criticism.

This goes against the principles of any democracy.

Ideas do not have rights; people do.

When the form the criticism takes starts endangering the public should the critics be given a free pass to continue? Why are people so afraid to stick their dingus in that particular hornet's nest?

So I take it you are ok with that atheist blogger in Saudia Arabia getting lashed 1,000 times?

And since religionists can justify violence against gay people (because their special book says so!) I think you are drawing some pretty crude lines here.

Basically you are saying "no, you ought not draw a cartoon because someone may use it as justification for violence because, Allah."

Then the religionists will go further and justify the violence against gays, atheists bloggers (apostates) etc because they are special (since they have read the sacred holy book) and if their book tells them that it is wrong to do something then that means no one, even non believers ( no, especially non believer) can't do it too.

As my signature line reads: the problem with fundamentalists is that they want me to act as they think.

Edited by msj

When the form the criticism takes starts endangering the public should the critics be given a free pass to continue? Why are people so afraid to stick their dingus in that particular hornet's nest?

The suspension of constitutional rights aren't subject to extortion. Especially political speech taking place behind closed doors.

So I take it you are ok with that atheist blogger in Saudia Arabia getting lashed 1,000 times?

And since religionists can justify violence against gay people (because their special book says so!) I think you are drawing some pretty crude lines here.

Basically you are saying "no, you ought not draw a cartoon because someone may use it as justification for violence because, Allah."

Then the religionists will go further and justify the violence against gays, atheists bloggers (apostates) etc because they are special (since they have read the sacred holy book) and if their book tells them that it is wrong to do something then that means no one, even non believers ( no, especially non believer) can't do it too.

As my signature line reads: the problem with fundamentalists is that they want me to act as they think.

Exactly. A perverse reward system is created when we suspend our free speech rights because certain people don't respect those rights. Muslims are just gonna have to accept that their religion might be mocked, the same way other religions are. They're not special. Constitutional rights don't stop at the Koran. You can be angry and feel insulted. You can think badly of those who are doing it. You can even protest or boycott. You cannot kill under any circumstances. That's illegal.

While I agree with the legal right to hold such a event as this, I fail to see what valid outcome could possibly be intended. The AFDI which Geller heads has been designated a hate group, both in the US and the UK, and she has been barred from entering the latter. Butt head stupid is probably a fair assessment.

Edited by On Guard for Thee