Federal Budget 2015

It is an hour before the budget is tabled. The journalists are locked up for another hour. They have been analysing and grilling government reps to explain the intent of this election budget. I doubt if too many posters here will be reading the budget but will be depending on coverage and analysis from the media.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/federal-budget-2015-join-our-chat-and-watch-cbc-s-budget-specials-1.3040936

That is one site. Which media outlet will you be using to get an impartial analysis of this budget?

Why?

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well at first glance Id call this the house of cards budget. Most of the serious spending issues are seriously back ended, and they had to raid the rainy day fund to try and keep their razor thin surplus they had pre promised.

In the real world, dipping into one's savings to balance a budget isn't really called balancing the budget, but I think everyone knew that all the Federal parties were going to do some deficit spending but artfully call that spending something else.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/federal-budget-2015-join-our-chat-and-watch-cbc-s-budget-specials-1.3040936

That is one site. Which media outlet will you be using to get an impartial analysis of this budget?

Why?

There will always be brief summaries of the budget on most sites, just find one that seems comprehensive and go through it yourself and analyze it yourself. I think that's the best thing.

For media analysis I'll browse the usual round of different outlets and choose articles that are more "newsy" and avoid most op-ed articles.

There will always be brief summaries of the budget on most sites, just find one that seems comprehensive and go through it yourself and analyze it yourself. I think that's the best thing.

For media analysis I'll browse the usual round of different outlets and choose articles that are more "newsy" and avoid most op-ed articles.

The government's own summary is bloody awful. It spends as much time bragging up budgets right back to 2006.

The government's own summary is bloody awful. It spends as much time bragging up budgets right back to 2006.

Yes, it is bloody awful. Worse than usual if that is even possible.

Must be an election on the way... :rolleyes:

Will have to wait for the ways and means motion - that is usually the best part of any budget.

In the real world, dipping into one's savings to balance a budget isn't really called balancing the budget, but I think everyone knew that all the Federal parties were going to do some deficit spending but artfully call that spending something else.

.......Good thing then the Government didn't dip into its savings account. Now the Liberals and NDP can explain to Canadians why its alright to live off of ones credit cards.....

All in all, a small-c conservative budget, with no thrills or gimmicks, leaving next to no money for the Opposition parties to attempt to bribe the voters with.....unless they're willing to either put it on the charge card or roll back tax cuts, which will be made law prior to the election, in effect, increasing taxes on potential voters......

This is the budget, as I've been predicting on this site since the last election, that will return the Harper Government to majority this coming Fall.

.......Good thing then the Government didn't dip into its savings account. Now the Liberals and NDP can explain to Canadians why its alright to live off of ones credit cards.....

All in all, a small-c conservative budget, with no thrills or gimmicks, leaving next to no money for the Opposition parties to attempt to bribe the voters with.....unless they're willing to either put it on the charge card or roll back tax cuts, which will be made law prior to the election, in effect, increasing taxes on potential voters......

This is the budget, as I've been predicting on this site since the last election, that will return the Harper Government to majority this coming Fall.

Didnt dip into its savings account, what are you talking about...to the tune of 2 billion worth.

No, this Government will spend ~$1.4 billion less than it takes in.......what are you talking about?

They took 2 billion out of the rainy day fund as well as sold off their stock in GM. Damn near everything of any significance in the thing is heavily back loaded. What are you talking about...this thing is nothing more than kool aid directed at the base. It doesnt actually do much of anything but husk for votes.

They took 2 billion out of the rainy day fund as well as sold off their stock in GM. Damn near everything of any significance in the thing is heavily back loaded. What are you talking about...this thing is nothing more than kool aid directed at the base. It doesnt actually do much of anything but husk for votes.

Husk for votes or return money to taxpaying Canadians that also vote........I hope both the Liberals and NDP continue to campaign on tax increases/claw-backs and deficit spending..........and must not forget Greenshift 2.0 :lol:

And what is wrong with "back loading"? Some consider budgeting for future needs, then purchasing when finances allow, to be prudent........something the Ontario Liberals are currently learning the hard way.

Husk for votes or return money to taxpaying Canadians that also vote........I hope both the Liberals and NDP continue to campaign on tax increases/claw-backs and deficit spending..........and must not forget Greenshift 2.0 :lol:

And what is wrong with "back loading"? Some consider budgeting for future needs, then purchasing when finances allow, to be prudent........something the Ontario Liberals are currently learning the hard way.

Lots of money, to a very few voters. And of course only those that will likely vote for Harper. Outside of that nobody knows what will happen since everything is back loaded, which is of course an election strategy ad nothing more. That and the economy is in such poor shape they really cant promise anything. They already got caught with their pants down by promising a balanced budget (after 7 huge deficits) and not foreseeing the demise of oil prices. Which in fairness, I guess nobody saw that coming, but they had all our eggs in one basket. This is a political document, nothing more.

Lots of money, to a very few voters. And of course only those that will likely vote for Harper.

That's subjective.......nearly 2 million families, with children under 18, will save $1140 per year and when averaged over the 4 million families with children under 18, an average of $524 a year......

I hope Trudeau considers annual tax relief like that for Canadian families to be worth only a few votes........

That's subjective.......nearly 2 million families, with children under 18, will save $1140 per year and when averaged over the 4 million families with children under 18, an average of $524 a year......

I hope Trudeau considers annual tax relief like that for Canadian families to be worth only a few votes........

A couple of billion a year going to 15% of families who, if they qualify, dont really need it, and the rest who do will pay for it either through tax, or reduction in services. Of course he did quite quickly slot 360 million to go fight isis, and tried to convince us he is helping vets...by bringing back a small portion of the amount he previously gutted the program by. I guess if you blindly support Harper to start with, a bunch of smoke and mirrors in a budget wont impact you much anyway.

I agree with the fund to families for the kids, but it was mentioned last night by a MP who was doing his income tax, that the Tories got rid of the child tax credit and is only replacing it with this new fund, True? I don't agree with income splitting for the upper middle and top earners, this looks more something for themselves. Speaking of that, many over 65 retiring MPs will be able to put more of their pensions in the savings fund, and MP Weston who I think has 8-10 kids will benefit from the child fund and income splitting. Most of the promises won't kick in until after the NEXT election, and the fact it took the selling of GM stock and stealing the reserve fund to get to a balance budget , next year, isn't smart and was told by the AG, it was a bad idea. All that being said, I'm more concerned about the two or three wars Harper has Canadians in and the financial cost and of course the human cost and how far he is willing to take these.

A couple of billion a year going to 15% of families who, if they qualify, dont really need it, and the rest who do will pay for it either through tax, or reduction in services.

Let's remember that the lower third of the population pay zero income tax already. We in the middle classes are already having to pay their entire share, as well as our own. A few measures to help us for a change instead of taking yet more of our money to give to the 'poor' is not out of line.

I am pleased Harper kept his promise to increase the TFSA limits. I will be making immediate use of that, the moment the budget passes into law. I think most middle class professionals who don't have pensions, most middle aged people trying to save for their old age, and most seniors who are looking at withdrawing money from RRSPs will appreciate the extra room.

Trudeau has promised to cancel that if elected, which I think, was a poor tactical decision. People might be grateful to the Tories for the increased TFSA limits, but that's not NEARLY as much motivation to support them as Trudeau promising to cancel it all if elected.

Countering the TFSA and tilting the playing field back towards ordinary Canadians would be easy enough - with a robust mandatory living wage.

Let the government explain to Canadians why they should continue to work for peanuts while the rich get richer faster.

I am pleased Harper kept his promise to increase the TFSA limits. I will be making immediate use of that, the moment the budget passes into law. I think most middle class professionals who don't have pensions, most middle aged people trying to save for their old age, and most seniors who are looking at withdrawing money from RRSPs will appreciate the extra room.

Trudeau has promised to cancel that if elected, which I think, was a poor tactical decision. People might be grateful to the Tories for the increased TFSA limits, but that's not NEARLY as much motivation to support them as Trudeau promising to cancel it all if elected.

I'm sure he'll replace it with some other form of handout. Frankly, despite all the intensity of this election, I expect platforms to differ only in the particulars. All three are crowding the center so heavily that they might as well be known as the New Liberal Conservative Party.

Unfortunately how the TFSA will be paid for is through cuts to OAS and GIS. So it amounts to something like the antithesis of Robin Hood.

Great budget, covers a lot. Shows that most liberal talking pts were wrong. And I love it when fife and trudeau complain it is a election budget. Acting like this is the 1st time it was ever done.

I'm sure he'll replace it with some other form of handout.

How is the TFSA a handout? The money you put into it has already been taxed. All the TFSA does is allow you to risk it on something like stocks without being taxed again.