Slow Clap BC. The Left Lane is for PASSING!

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/b-c-considers-crackdown-on-left-lane-hogs-1.2262807

Drivers who go slowly in the left lanes of highways are such a common nuisance that British Columbia is considering ways to coax them into keeping right.

Todd Stone, B.C.’s Minister of Transportation, told CTV Vancouver that he was reminded of the problem after the province conducted a review of rural road safety.

“One of the key things that we heard from British Columbians all over the province was this frustration related to left-lane hogs,” he said.

“The law today is pretty clear in terms of the left lane being there for passing,” he said. “The challenge is a lot of British Columbians don’t seem to know that, or don’t seem to respect that requirement.”

Stone said left-lane hogs lead to aggressive tailgating, which is dangerous.

“What we’re trying to do is looking at eliminating or reducing that tension,” he added, though he wouldn’t give more details.

The B.C. minister’s words have garnered attention across the country from drivers, who took to social media to ask whether more can be done to stop left-lane hogs in their provinces.

Steven Del Duca, Ontario’s transportation minister, told Toronto’s Newstalk 1010 that the province’s Highway Traffic Act already contains a provision to deal with the issue.

We have this weird unwritten rule, at least in Ontario, where the Speed Limit is only 100 km/h (60 mph) But you'll never get a ticket unless you're going over 120-130 km/h.

What it allows for is these "Letter of the Law" people to think that going 100 in the left lane is perfectly within their rights. And that's more dangerous than driving 50 km/h over the limit. IMHO.

I'll be honest, I do get annoyed when I'm in the left lane going 125 and someone is tailgating me. But if I'm passing people in the middle lane then screw that guy, I'll move over when it's safe to do so.

I do like how they have it in many States. You have a limit of around 110 km/h, But you're not supposed to use the left lane until you're passing and going 10 mph over the limit is strictly enforced. I find driving in the US with a higher limit than in Canada I often go slower. I also noticed driving in Florida, that they have minimum speed limits.

I'm not sure if this is a debatable topic but I thought I'd just throw my opinion out there.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be honest, I do get annoyed when I'm in the left lane going 125 and someone is tailgating me. But if I'm passing people in the middle lane then screw that guy, I'll move over when it's safe to do so.

This is why I can't figure this out. If someone in the left lane is NOT passing then people can pass on the right. The only time it is annoying is when they are passing people but not as fast as people behind them would like. But if someone is going 101 kph in 100 kph zone and passing then no one really has any business complaining. Edited by TimG

But if someone is going 101 kph in 100 kph zone and passing then no one really has any business complaining.

That doesn't happen because cops don't enforce at 101 km/h. If the flow is 130 then it'd be unfair for cops to pick out one guy when everyone is going to around the same speed.

There are a lot of people who want the posted limit be 120 km/h. Which would be fine, but then 130 km/h has to be strictly enforced.

It's a lot easier for cops to camp out at the bottom of hills or in the 50 zone between an 80 highway.

Edited by Boges

It may already be a violation of the Traffic act to hog the left lane in Ontario, but it is still a common occurrence. I find that keeping right, except to pass is widely practiced in Quebec and most US states I've driven in. Ontario drivers seem to be among the worst.

If you're in the left lane, even passing cars in the center or right lane, and a vehicle approaches from behind, move over ASAP. The only time this doesn't apply is if the highway is congested and there are cars immediately in front of you anyway.

I don't spend much time in the fast lane because I rarely do more than 10 over but there are often times on Hwy 1 when there are more cars in the left lane than right all tailgating the crap out of each other at 120+ in a 100k limit. Don't know how they are going to enforce this or where they will find the people to do it. One problem is BC has almost no highways with more than two lanes.

Edited by Wilber

I've been noticing this a lot lately and when I read about this new law in BC I was openly clapping and wishing someone would do more to enforce it in Ontario.

Makes me mental to see it happening on the highways. I use the left lane for passing...or excceding the flow of traffic for extended periods of time. And if I see someone zooming up behind me I move out of their way as soon as is safe.

I also hate to see this happening on regular city roads. Some dumbass in the left lane going the limit with people passing on the right, or if it's a 3-lane road...passing in the middle AND the right lane!!! It's almost rage-inducing...

We have this weird unwritten rule, at least in Ontario, where the Speed Limit is only 100 km/h (60 mph) But you'll never get a ticket unless you're going over 120-130 km/h.

What it allows for is these "Letter of the Law" people to think that going 100 in the left lane is perfectly within their rights. And that's more dangerous than driving 50 km/h over the limit. IMHO.

Amen. I go 100KM/HR maybe 110 and I stay on the right.

I do like how they have it in many States. You have a limit of around 110 km/h, But you're not supposed to use the left lane until you're passing and going 10 mph over the limit is strictly enforced.

Also don't drive in Missouri.

I mostly drive on a winding single lane highway with limited passing opportunities.

I've noticed that in a lot of cases I'll have two cars ahead of me and the 2nd car won't take advantage of the passing lanes. No biggie unless they don't leave enough space between him and the lead car to pass without passing both at the same time.

That's when I'd really like to have a rack of heat seeking missiles mounted on the roof of my car.

Edited by eyeball

Easy problem solver, pass on the right if they are going a tad too slow. Its legal in Ont . The slow moving car, defined as slower than the limit and the normal speed of traffic does by law have to move over but lets face it, no one gets a ticket for that.

And the next time a cop tells you "I lowered it so no points and your insurance wont be mad' ....laugh at them and tell them insurance has never counted points. It would appear Cops like to end the conversation on a good note, tell them they are wrong wrong wrong (after you have the ticket in hand)

Or we could amend the fines like they do in Finland and make it sting equally for the poor and the rich.

'Finland bases the penalty also as a percentage of daily income, according to the previous year’s tax return. Since Reima Kuisla earned over 6.5 million euros ($7 million) in 2013, he had a penalty equivalent to a brand-new BMW M3. The rationale is that the fine should sting for anyone, whether they’re scraping by or living in the lap of luxury. '

Yahoo Auto Blog/

$65,000 speeding ticket.

Ouch.

I've noticed that in a lot of cases I'll have two cars ahead of me and the 2nd car won't take advantage of the passing lanes. No biggie unless they don't leave enough space between him and the lead car to pass without passing both at the same time.

That's when I'd really like to have a rack of heat seeking missiles mounted on the roof of my car.

Ayep. That is the most egregious case, where the moron driving in the left lane is staying so tight to the guy driving in the right lane that nobody can possibly pass by. This happens quite a lot in the city, not nearly much on highways. I'm talking about long, straight, higher speed boulevards and parkways where the speed is 60-80 and you can see a long length of open space in front of the moron.

People like that should be pulled over, stripped naked, and made to walk home in disgrace.

Edited by Argus

Ayep. That is the most egregious case, where the moron driving in the left lane is staying so tight to the guy driving in the right lane that nobody can possibly pass by. This happens quite a lot in the city, not nearly much on highways. I'm talking about long, straight, higher speed boulevards and parkways where the speed is 60-80 and you can see a long length of open space in front of the moron.

People like that should be pulled over, stripped naked, and made to walk home in disgrace.

I will often pass on the shoulder and follow the person all the way to where ever they are going and confront them about their driving. Or I'll follow them if someone gives me the finger. It's hilarious to watch the guys shrink like a little bitch when confronted in person. So many people are so brave in their cars but turn into a sniveling bitch when confronted, apologizing profusely or saying it was not meant for me...lol.

I drive at a reasonable speed. I never drive the speed limit except in school zones, I don't fool around in school zones. Everywhere else I drive 10 KM over the limit. 15 over on the highway. I just go around people who are slow in the left lane. I've even passed on the shoulder, I don't care where I pass, as long as I get past them.

After that, to deal with the cars, do as they do on the Autobahn, if you're in the left lane and not passing, giv'em a ticket.

Nothing like a hit to the pocket book to make you think twice the next time..

Absolutely. Have the cops give out tickets and people will stop acting this way.

Yeah, I avoid Onterible.. I've heard nightmares that all trucks have to be set at 60MPH,

Probably best you avoid Ontario. The trucks that pass by all the time are definietly going more than 100k. Not to mention that the laws here seem somewhat foreign to you .

so if your a little lighter you may have an advantage, so truckers try to pass and take 30 minutes to do so, because the other trucker being overtaken doesn't have the brains to slow down and let the guy pass.

Ahh...lets blame to other guy for not slowing down to let you pass.

It may just be me, but when I look to overtake someone I will know before I do if I can pass in safety and in a timely manner.

Trucks that dont take that courtesy are the ones who drive the rest of us crazy.

Do you have a comprehension problem, or just read what you think it says..

Well , you see in 'comprehension' , there are mainly two levels , the first being shallow (low level} and the next is deep level. But deep level involves semantic processing which happens when we encode the meaning of a word and relate it to similar words. Shallow processing involves structural and phonemic recognition, the processing of sentence and word structure and their associated sounds.

But to answer your question, I does comprehenend....purty good I reckon.

I clearly "Pointed Out" -- "Regardless, in Canada it should be more widely enforced."

Calm down there Minpower.

They enforce it here, but how would you know?

I avoid Onterible

But yeah...wish they would.

They should also charge the truckers who try and pass and wind up pissing the whole lot off

By the way, whats the picture for?

Edited by Guyser2

Steven Del Duca, Ontario’s transportation minister, told Toronto’s Newstalk 1010 that the province’s Highway Traffic Act already contains a provision to deal with the issue.

Boges, any idea what he meant with this statement?

It appears he mean there is a law on the book, there isnt. One can if sufficiently PO'd can pass on the right , in safety of course and no charge can be levied.

A left lane hog doing the limit ,while a pain for us speedy gonzales, is legal almost entirely .

Edited by Guyser2

Time to put the automate into auto traffic and computerize our roads and vehicles.

Hands free driving will almost automatically mean stress free driving...because it'll all be out of our hands! They don't call it passenger rage when motorists freak out after all.

I regularly drive between Saskatoon and the West Kootenays. In the last few years, I've reduced my cruising speed from 110 Kph to 98 for two reasons. I'm in my 60's and therefore my reaction time may be slower. The othere reason is fuel economy. In a 3000 km round trip, I save almost 30 litres of gas. A bonus is a reduction of stress. I do not impede faster traffic. I pull over to let them by.

I'm thinking impatience probably causes almost as many accidents as alcohol.

I have yet to meet anyone who is not an above average or excellent driver...in their own eyes.