Harper Loses Baird

John Baird to resign as foreign affairs minister:

“The Minister will rise in the House of Commons tomorrow morning at 10:00 a.m. to make an announcement," his office said.

Mr. Baird, 45, has proven to be one of Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s most trusted and reliable political lieutenants and has often been given difficult assignments. His departure, after the loss of long-time finance minister Jim Flaherty, will leave Mr. Harper scrambling to replace him.

This isn't about policy, or even strategy but more about political intrigue. Still, any guesses out there as to why this is happening now ?

From the other thread:

He's young enough to get into the private sector and he's giving the PM enough notice so they can nominate a new candidate. Possibly the pension change is part of it, the reason why so many are not running this year. Too bad, he was a very capable minister.

Edited by scribblet

I think he would like to lead the party and take a shot at PM one day. Thus, it's important to separate himself as the party declines. In 8 years he can step back in and lead a new charge.

That.

I doubt it will be 8 years though, and it may not require that the party be in decline for the transition to Baird.

I heard rumors a few months ago that he was going to leave before the election......I'd have thought to run for the leadership of the Ontario PC party, but the deadline to enter the race was last Saturday, maybe there is something to the suggestions of Baird joining former Australian PM Kevin Rudd in a leadership role at the WHO???

I think he would like to lead the party and take a shot at PM one day. Thus, it's important to separate himself as the party declines. In 8 years he can step back in and lead a new charge.

I think you could well have it figured. There was rumblings a while back that he may be a candidate to take over from Harper when there was talk of dumping him due to the polls and a little internal upheaval. If and when Harper does run it into the ground he will be in a good position to step back in.

Too bad. Harper will miss his political pit bull. Baird was always a loyal Conservative and Clement will be the only "old Harris soldier" who were parachuted in from Ontario after Harris was turfed.

As to coming back, I do not think so. Kathleen Wynne became the first gay Premier of a province but I doubt that Baird could be elected the first gay Prime Minister.

He served loyally. I wish him luck.

I would think Baird's riding had many civil servant who lose their jobs and there are probably other Tories in the same position and the fact that MP's will have to pay half of their pensions after the next election. He's smart to leave.

You think civil servants vote Tory, like EVER?

Flaherty's old riding is Auto Worker central yet it's an easy Tory riding.

Edited by Boges

I think you could well have it figured. There was rumblings a while back that he may be a candidate to take over from Harper when there was talk of dumping him due to the polls and a little internal upheaval. If and when Harper does run it into the ground he will be in a good position to step back in.

There is no talk of dumping Harper, those rumblings where only wishful thinking from the left, don't believe every negative article you read.

No doubt if Harper loses or only gets a minority he will step down. I wouldn't be surprised to see him step aside after finishing out another majority, but other than that, there never was talk from the Tories about dumping Harper.

There is no talk of dumping Harper, those rumblings where only wishful thinking from the left, don't believe every negative article you read.

No doubt if Harper loses or only gets a minority he will step down. I wouldn't be surprised to see him step aside after finishing out another majority, but other than that, there never was talk from the Tories about dumping Harper.

Oh yes there was, and thats when Bairds name came to the fore.

Whatever it is, it likely means he sees no near-term future of him moving in as leader of the CPC. Either Harper's in it for the long haul as leader (until he's defeated at least), or he sees others ahead of him in the party. Or maybe he just wants to make more money haha.

Baird is headed for a multi-million job in the public sector. He has already approached the ethics commissioner and got the OK just like Prentice did in the past. Harper was not pleased. Harper was one of the few members of parliament who did not speak accolades on Baird and wish him well. Nice hug - just like the kiss a Mafioso gives to somebody who has a contract out on them.

Look for Chris Alexander as the next Foreign Minister.