Harper Loses Baird

If he stayed on for another election he would have had to wait an extra 10 years to collect his pension.

This way he can work elsewhere until 55 retire and collect his gov't pension. Smart move.... but don't pretend he was some sort of self-sacrificing patriot... he's looking after his own retirement.

Baird's not coming back for a leadership run. He wouldn't need to leave politics to do that.

Edited by The_Squid

Baird is headed for a multi-million job in the public sector. He has already approached the ethics commissioner and got the OK just like Prentice did in the past. Harper was not pleased. Harper was one of the few members of parliament who did not speak accolades on Baird and wish him well. Nice hug - just like the kiss a Mafioso gives to somebody who has a contract out on them.

Actually the Prime Minister did release a statement on Baird's service........

Look for Chris Alexander as the next Foreign Minister.

I'd think Rona Ambrose based on her current and past portfolios.......Alexander would be a good second choice....

If he stayed on for another election he would have had to wait an extra 10 years to collect his pension.

This way he can work elsewhere until 55 retire and collect his gov't pension. Smart move.... but don't pretend he was some sort of self-sacrificing patriot... he's looking after his own retirement.

Mystery solved.

Naught to do with my dreams, only the cons dreams of staying in power when Harper had the polls in the doldrums. Look it up.

Instead of acting 12 again, how about giving us a link to an article that tells us about all this Conservative unrest about Harper?

Edited by Keepitsimple

As to coming back, I do not think so. Kathleen Wynne became the first gay Premier of a province but I doubt that Baird could be elected the first gay Prime Minister.

I don't think that's an issue anymore.

By the time his chance comes around, the elder voters will be the baby boomers who are a large group and were part of the fight against such discrimination.

Not sure a 'pit bull' type would be the best PM though.

I don't think that's an issue anymore.

By the time his chance comes around, the elder voters will be the baby boomers who are a large group and were part of the fight against such discrimination.

Not sure a 'pit bull' type would be the best PM though.

I don't think Baird could be elected PM period, but not because he is gay. Wynne managed to become the first gay Premier and it was barely an issue. Though I doubt the same could be achieved with a conservative base.

Instead of acting 12 again, how about giving us a link to an article that tells us about all this Conservative unrest about Harper?

If you could simply read above that 12 level you would have noticed I mentioned this was occurring when the CPC polls were so low. Its of course impossible to prove rumors, but at the time there were those of caucus unrest, the overthrow of Harper to be replaced by Baird. Perhaps you were taking your nap then.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/03/28/mark-warawa-cabinet-unrest_n_2973405.html

If you could simply read above that 12 level you would have noticed I mentioned this was occurring when the CPC polls were so low. Its of course impossible to prove rumors, but at the time there were those of caucus unrest, the overthrow of Harper to be replaced by Baird. Perhaps you were taking your nap then.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/03/28/mark-warawa-cabinet-unrest_n_2973405.html

Hilarious! You pick an isolated event that actually trumpets how Harper will oppose re-opening the debate on abortion. You've been moved down a couple of grades to Grade 7. :D

From your own article:

Unlike caucus revolts inside the Liberal, Canadian Alliance and Progressive Conservative parties of the past, MPs in this case are not criticizing the leader — at least not yet. "It always depends on how you're going to move ahead as a team," said Ontario MP Harold Albrecht.

"When you're part of a team, there are some times you don't get exactly what you want, but you recognize that you get a better result as a total team than you would on your own."

Edited by Keepitsimple

Hilarious! You pick an isolated event that actually trumpets how Harper will oppose re-opening the debate on abortion. You've been moved down a couple of grades to Grade 7. :D

From your own article:

One of many debates that threatened to undermine him, but dont worry, you will catch on eventually. When you get the reading level up a bit I suppose.

One of many debates that threatened to undermine him, but dont worry, you will catch on eventually. When you get the reading level up a bit I suppose.

One of your comical traits is that you post things that are wrong or inaccurate - you're clearly shown that they're wrong or inaccurate by several posters on many topics - and yet you simply ignore facts and repeat the same shallow drivel.

One of your comical traits is that you post things that are wrong or inaccurate - you're clearly shown that they're wrong or inaccurate by several posters on many topics - and yet you simply ignore facts and repeat the same shallow drivel.

Does this bother you? How odd... As a Conservative, what advice do you have for people that would rather stick to an ideology than confront dissenting facts? How about muzzling experts, limiting the census, killing world class environmental research projects, ending testing programs for marine contaminants, reallocating research budgets to industry subsidy programs? Did I miss any?

How about muzzling experts, limiting the census, killing world class environmental research projects, ending testing programs for marine contaminants, reallocating research budgets to industry subsidy programs? Did I miss any?

All government departments were force to cut services. Why should scientific funding be exempt from those cuts? Are scientists more important than providing for veterans who also faced cuts?

Governments don't have infinite money and spinning conspiracy theories about why a particular program was cut is an example of how you are sticking to ideology instead of looking at the facts rationally.

As for muzzling scientists: no employee has the right to say whatever they want and it unreasonable for government scientists to expect to be able to hold press conferences whenever they want to promote their research. I happen to agree that Harper has gone too far with controls over communication which affect all government employees (i.e. it is not directed at scientists). But I don't anything in the policy that specifically targets scientists. It is side effect rather than the objective of the policy.

Edited by TimG

As for muzzling scientists: no employee has the right to say whatever they want and it unreasonable for government scientists to expect to be able to hold press conferences whenever they want to promote their research. I happen to agree that Harper has gone too far with controls over communication which affect all government employees (i.e. it is not directed at scientists). But I don't anything in the policy that specifically targets scientists. It is side effect rather than the objective of the policy.

Yep. I worked for private sector corps and only specific managers were permitted to speak to the press.

That is an extremely common practice.

Actually,, it was the same in Chretiens civil service. Every government department had and has a communications section who manages that process.

All government departments were force to cut services. Why should scientific funding be exempt from those cuts? Are scientists more important than providing for veterans who also faced cuts?

Governments don't have infinite money and spinning conspiracy theories about why a particular program was cut is an example of how you are sticking to ideology instead of looking at the facts rationally.

Harper in his dictatorial approach, wrongfully assumes that scientists who work, or at least used to work for government are somehow beholden to him and his government with regard to research. What he should be aware of is who actually pays the wages of those scientists that used to work for.....us.