The Parrot Media

Is this funny? Or is this the sad state of our so called news media? Conan has done about 10 of these bits. Now I am not laughing at this at all. It is pathetic and sad. Where do they get the scripts? And do these parrots know that they are reading the same lines as all the others?

Now these are really benign stories. However, what if this is the same process for bigger stories? What is the reason behind this?

I would also like to tie in another thread where accountability is talked about. Specifically when it comes to vetting information and not putting out unconfirmed information via the media. How easily can that be done with this same method?

I can't watch the videos. I can't bear newscasters anymore. They don't want to tell me the news, they want to be my friend. They make me sick.

PBS and BBC are about all I can stand to watch now.

Yeah so it turns out that a lot of local news stations use content from other sources. How about that?

I get the point you're trying to make, Gost. Jon Stewart has made compilations of news analysts repeating the same talking points over and over that I think illustrate it better.

-k

10! I knew this routine has done the rounds, but it's so common it can't be funny anymore. I guess that with media consolidation, and five corporations owning virtually every TV station, they're all getting the same scripts and talking points.

I guess if you weren't paying attention, this would come as a surprise. The answer is that local stations have been cutting costs for decades now and there isn't much of anything produced locally. These are just wire service or press release stories that are cheap to buy, and that fill the time.

Edited to add:

Corporate media is profit driven, and news organizations have cut costs massively since the 1960s. What you're witnessing is a slow natural death, as more people get their news online.

Jesse Brown's Canadaland podcost now has an audience of 60,000 - that is SIX times Ezra Lavant's show on Sun News. He broke the Ghomeshi story, but had to pair with the Toronto Star because he couldn't afford libel insurance !

The worst was when they all made the same joke about Miley Cyrus' breaking up with her boyfriend.

They did not make the same joke, they only read the same joke that was written by someone else. That's the point that is being made here. It's French Fry News, meaning franchised media, head office does the product, the 'reporters' sell the product. They don't ask the hard questions, instead they ask, 'you want fries with that'?

10! I knew this routine has done the rounds, but it's so common it can't be funny anymore. I guess that with media consolidation, and five corporations owning virtually every TV station, they're all getting the same scripts and talking points.

This is something most are not aware of. Take NewsCorp in general and see what kind of market share they have in the US and the UK. They own paper, TV, radio, and internet sites. The message comes from the top and the rest squawk like parrots.

The answer is that local stations have been cutting costs for decades now and there isn't much of anything produced locally. These are just wire service or press release stories that are cheap to buy, and that fill the time.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking is going on too. And the stories getting parroted seem like filler stories. As for the headlines, I'll bet most local stations take from similar sources but try harder to paraphrase in their own words. It's not like local stations are doing much investigative stories on their own unless it's actual local news.

I can't watch the videos. I can't bear newscasters anymore. They don't want to tell me the news, they want to be my friend. They make me sick.

PBS and BBC are about all I can stand to watch now.

That's funny, I've mostly tuned out news broadcasts from BC. Touchy feely stories about fluff for the most part. I too watch some of PBS and the only channel with actual national/international Canadian based coverage is CTV. CBC must have some too, but I never find it.

That dozens of newscasts are parroting the same version of the story is creepy. I think it makes people slightly uncomfortable so they make rationalizations as to it being of a benign nature.

That dozens of newscasts are parroting the same version of the story is creepy. I think it makes people slightly uncomfortable so they make rationalizations as to it being of a benign nature.

Do you find it creepy when you see the same CP. AP or Thomson Reuters story in more than one newspaper?

Today's 6pm news broadcast saw Global have 2 of the 3 lead off stories with hikers, one missing and one had a close call. Nothing yet about oil tanking, the economic fall out, or any of the REAL news stories of the day. Absolute nonsense. BTW Bubber, I've had you on ignore for quite a while I think, and you're still on ignore.

Edited by sharkman

I don't know, I saw some bobble-head the other day reporting that Canadians are scared about their oil stocks and pension funds. Thankfully they had someone with a better grip on how 35 million Canadians were feeling by pointing out how many are dancing in the streets over the fuel savings they're realizing.

Shouldn't the scared money be looking to invest in supplying and servicing the needs and wants of millions upon millions of people with more money in their pockets?

Today's 6pm news broadcast saw Global have 2 of the 3 lead off stories with hikers, one missing and one had a close call.

Local news ? So? Start with some feel good, get into the not so good.

Nothing yet about oil tanking, the economic fall out,

Good news doesnt make it to the top very often, the falling oil prices is great news for many.

BTW Bubber, I've had you on ignore for quite a while I think, and you're still on ignore.

Hmmm.....yet you see he responded with a post. How does one see and not see at the same time?