Coyne Savages Trudeau

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm confused (again). Imposing sanctions against Sadaam Hussein made us viscous, brutal killers of innocent children who didn't get their milk and medicine. WE were responsible for all ills which befell the country because of our cruel sanctions. We were heartless and evil!

I had no real issue with sanctions against Hussein, but I can also say I never really expected the west to impose them without cocking lots of things up because we just don't have the moral or ethical background for much of what we do in the ME. I'm of two minds on going to war, on the one hand I think what Harper is proposing to drag us into will be a complete waste of time and so instead I agree with the sentiments that we should put our efforts into humanitarian aid for refugees. OTOH if war is the path we choose then we should be waging what I suggested in Entrance Strategy - all out war to rid the region of it's dictators and warlords followed by massive infrastructure building. I'd place the coalition under a joint command of the UN and moderate reform minded Muslims associated with the Arab Spring.

Now you want to impose sanctions again.

Yes, but mostly against countries that provide funding and military-aid for dictators and warlords. Obviously we better make sure our own noses are squeaky clean before we do because there's enough moral dissonance in the world as it is.

Edited by eyeball

...Yes, but mostly against countries that provide funding and military-aid for dictators and warlords. Obviously we better make sure our own noses are squeaky clean before we do because there's enough moral dissonance in the world as it is.

Good idea....people in glass houses should not throw stones.

Good idea. I suggest we get 'em to debate whether or not Obama is an American or not. Trump can be a guest.

We can give them a bunch of fake news articles and see which one's they will report to the crowd on without fact checking and which ones they decide to alter to support their view.

You seem to be new here - please read the rules before posting again. Thanks,

you seem to have targeted a reply while ignoring the original post that reply is directed to... you have nothing to say about the original post... or to the member that wrote the original post?

you seem to have targeted a reply while ignoring the original post that reply is directed to... you have nothing to say about the original post... or to the member that wrote the original post?

It's not an overt insult. But, I often don't see things on here, anyway. I comment on what I do see.

Pitching in is pitching in, the problem with conservatives is that unless were directly spilling enemy blood they don't think it qualifies as pitching in.

That's a noble way of suggesting that letting others do the hard, dirty work is fine with you. Well, one of the ideological underpinnings of conservative belief is that you pull your weight(a foreign concept on the left I know).

If we take the money we would use on fighters and troops on the ground and funnel it into humanitarian aid we can be very large contributors to this conflict without firing a single shot.

And why are you so anxious to avoid firing a shot? Do you think we're too noble to get involved in that sort of thing? Do you think it's morally superior to carry luggage instead?

Sure America won't like it, but who gives a rats ass what America likes?

Thinking people who realize that the US is extremely important to us as neighbours partners, and customers, and that how they see us impacts how they deal with us to some extent.

Lets do what we are good at,

We're actually pretty damn good at fighting.

lets take a moral high ground.

Shirking is not the moral high ground. It's the cowards way. In this case it's not only the cowards way it's the hypocrite's way. Everyone recognizes that military force is absolutely necessary against these people. And you have no objection to taking part in the overall exercise and presumably cooperating with all the people doing the shooting, but you think turning up your nose at standing on the line makes us more moral? Not by a long shot, buddy. That's actually a pretty contemptible way to look at things, in my opinion.

I'll admit Rwanda was a failure but we will learn from our mistakes.

What's this 'we' business? You clearly haven't learned a thing from Rwanda. If there's anything that is crystal clear it is that it was the lack of will to use military force in Rwanda which allowed things to spiral out of control. Had Dallaire's pleas to the UN to let him stand up to the Rwandans, to raid their arms depots, for example, been listened to a lot of lives would have been saved.

Yet here you are again pretending that it's ignoble to use military force! And claiming at the same time we've learned a lot from Rwanda!

Edited by Argus

Correct. Otherwise we would have to live with Bush_Cheney_Chretien being war criminals. Who needs that on their resume?

Australia went into Iraq and nobody is calling them war criminals. In fact, they lost far, far fewer people going into Iraq than we did going into Afghanistan.

if war is the path we choose then we should be waging what I suggested in Entrance Strategy - all out war to rid the region of it's dictators and warlords followed by massive infrastructure building. I'd place the coalition under a joint command of the UN and moderate reform minded Muslims associated with the Arab Spring.[/size]

The UN is made up of about 160 nations, of which about 100 are dictatorships. The Organization of the Islamic Conference is made up of 57 Muslim states of which, if I'm being charitable, 55 are run by dictators. You want to run a war against dictators under the joint rule of two organizations which are made up largely of dictators?

Great...nice to see another Canadian making good use of America's Google search engine and Wikipedia. Salute !

"America's" Google search engine is a publicly traded company owned by many people around the world. Wikipedia is similarly maintained by the generous donations of people across the globe.

But why post something on topic when you can derail yet another thread with your American Exceptionalism garbage?

"America's" Google search engine is a publicly traded company owned by many people around the world. Wikipedia is similarly maintained by the generous donations of people across the globe.

But why post something on topic when you can derail yet another thread with your American Exceptionalism garbage?

now, now... just report it... so other's can (continue to) ignore it!