BC Indian chief paid over $900,000.

Around here, you can usually identify which people on the reserve are Band Council members because they've got brand new pickup trucks on the driveway. But the chief of the Coquitlam band-- population 81, 35 residents-- has taken it to a whole new level:

The financial disclosure for the Kwikwetlem First Nation in Coquitlam shows that Chief Ron Giesbrecht received more than $914,000 last year plus another $16,000 in expenses.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1486024/documents-show-coquitlam-first-nations-chief-was-paid-nearly-a-million-dollars-in-salary/

It's no wonder the feds pushed for financial disclosure rules, and it's no wonder the aboriginal bands resisted it.

-k

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Around here, you can usually identify which people on the reserve are Band Council members because they've got brand new pickup trucks on the driveway. But the chief of the Coquitlam band-- population 81, 35 residents-- has taken it to a whole new level:

http://globalnews.ca/news/1486024/documents-show-coquitlam-first-nations-chief-was-paid-nearly-a-million-dollars-in-salary/

It's no wonder the feds pushed for financial disclosure rules, and it's no wonder the aboriginal bands resisted it.

-k

I had no idea things had gotten that out of control!

Except for you and me, everybody out there is making far too much money for the effort they put in. And I am not so sure about you. :D

Do you have an opinion on the level of compensation, given the level of compensation for people in similar positions?

I saw a report today that something like $800k of that was due to the chief taking on, in addition to his own, the job of some outsider and their employment contract, Still makes you wonder what they Hell a band as tiny as that was paying some outsider $800,000+ for...

Do you have an opinion on the level of compensation, given the level of compensation for people in similar positions?

According to the article it was $4,800 salary, $80,000 economic development office and $800,000 for an economic bonus.

Nice work if you can find it. I would accept that money too!

If there is a problem then it is with the system and the jerks in our government who decide who gets what and why. I certainly do not blame the Chief. Do you expect him to say no – that is too much and I do not deserve it?

I thought greed was good. In any case, why is everyone pissed off at this guy, shouldn't it be the person(s) who decided to pay him this much that gets hauled out on the carpet? Did he embezzle this money?

In the meantime CEO's who generate $8,000,000 dollars worth of business and are paid a 10% production bonus are usually celebrated every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Maybe the people who paid this guy as much as he made have to compete for talent, I mean, that's the story you're usually given if you deign to ponder the value of a day's work, especially around here.

Unless you're a regular shmoe looking for a raise, then you're entitled, lazy and above all else, greedy.

Edited by eyeball

According to the article it was $4,800 salary, $80,000 economic development office and $800,000 for an economic bonus.

Nice work if you can find it. I would accept that money too!

If there is a problem then it is with the system and the jerks in our government who decide who gets what and why.

He (and the rest of council) decide who gets what and why....

I thought greed was good. In any case, why is everyone pissed off at this guy, shouldn't it be the person(s) who decided to pay him this much that gets hauled out on the carpet? Did he embezzle this money?[.

As per SmallC's comment, this guy and his fellow council decide who gets the money which at times leaves the rest of the group in a peculiar situation. If the whole band agreed on it then I couldn't care less. However I'm doubting that's the case.

It sounds like a lot of his own band members are somewhat astonished at his salary.

It certainly shows the need for accountability.

Not just his band. The head of the Stolo Nation consisting of 8 bands said he just couldn't relate. He said their entire budget is 400k.

I thought greed was good. In any case, why is everyone pissed off at this guy, shouldn't it be the person(s) who decided to pay him this much that gets hauled out on the carpet? Did he embezzle this money?

In the meantime CEO's who generate $8,000,000 dollars worth of business and are paid a 10% production bonus are usually celebrated every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Maybe the people who paid this guy as much as he made have to compete for talent, I mean, that's the story you're usually given if you deign to ponder the value of a day's work, especially around here.

Unless you're a regular shmoe looking for a raise, then you're entitled, lazy and above all else, greedy.

Your statement is completely nonsensical. CEO salaries have nothing to do with FN band councils, the funding they receive, and the whole purpose behind it. Your statement is intellectually dishonest, and very disingenuous purposely conflating two different issues. In an attempt to minimize the seriousness of this issue. All because a FN official is involved. Your sensibilities just can't handle legitimate criticism directed towards a member of FN. They can do no more in your eyes. So you'll close yours as a result. Pathetic. Edited by Shady

Someone somewhere in our government must have been part of the decision making process that saw a community of 35 to 81 people receive $8,000,000, much of which is probably also taxpayer money.

They just shovel that money out the door without asking where it's going or to whom?

Your impression is wrong. And that fact that your defending this absurdity is in itself absurd and speaks volumes. Shame on you.

Thank you for your post. There is a difference in defending and action and commenting on it. You appear to feel that there was fraud, theft or some other criminal act involved. You obviously know more about the details than I do. I see this as someone who is playing the system within the rules, and accepting what he (and our government) feel he is entitled. Very similar to our CEO's and other multi-million companies who pay no taxes.

BTW, "this absurdity is in itself absurd and speaks volumes" is a nice phrase - well done!

I have nothing to be ashamed about except perhaps planning to steal that phrase in the future. :P

I have been criticized for vacuous posts so I guess I should add some substance to this one:

"Your statement is completely nonsensical. _______ have nothing to do with ___________, the funding they receive, and the whole purpose behind it. Your statement is intellectually dishonest, and very disingenuous purposely conflating _____ different issues. In an attempt to minimize the seriousness of this issue. All because _______ is involved. Your sensibilities just can't handle legitimate criticism directed towards _______. They can do no more in your eyes. So you'll close yours as a result. Pathetic."

Fill in the blanks with what you feel appropriate discussion points.

Edited by Big Guy

Most of this money is the result of him being paid ten cents for every dollar in economic activity that he brought into the community. Apparently he was able to secure about 10 million dollars worth of that activity.

This is basically the same way that crazy executive compensation packages are justified...

Most of this money is the result of him being paid ten cents for every dollar in economic activity that he brought into the community. Apparently he was able to secure about 10 million dollars worth of that activity.

This is basically the same way that crazy executive compensation packages are justified...

But he's not a CEO. What a private business pays it's manager, with it's own money isn't my business. But what a person who's paid with tax money, that sets up a mafia-like scheme where he skims 10% off the top of any so-called "economic activity" he "brings" into the community certainly is our business. Especially when the people he's suppose to be representing, are living in much lower circumstances. Stop trying to justify bad behavior.

But he's not a CEO. What a private business pays it's manager, with it's own money isn't my business. But what a person who's paid with tax money, that sets up a mafia-like scheme where he skims 10% off the top of any so-called "economic activity" he "brings" into the community certainly is our business. Especially when the people he's suppose to be representing, are living in much lower circumstances. Stop trying to justify bad behavior.

This is that "mafia-like" deal between the band and the B.C.Government;

"According to the financial documents, the biggest source of revenue for the band was $8,225,000 from the province of British Columbia.

The B.C. government confirmed to CBC it paid the Kwikwetlem $8.2 million in a land deal last year. The band then paid Giesbrecht the $800,000 bonus. In a written statement, Giesbrecht said this bonus was part of his contract as economic development officer.

A B.C. government spokesman, speaking on background, told CBC News the land deal was the result of an economic benefit agreement related to land sales through the provincial Ministry of Technology, Innovation and Citizens services."

I am not sure who the "mafia" were, the band or the government?