BC Indian chief paid over $900,000.

I love how Dre breaks down where the money came from and somehow that means he's justifying it. The guy's salary was $80k, the rest of the money was a 1-time economic development bonus as a result of a multi-million dollar deal.

From the story in the papers today, the chief didn't really have much to do with the deal, but simply jumped in at the last minute in order to earn that bonus.

And I don't know about most people, but i too find it ridiculous these "Chiefs" who represent an average band size of 500 people often earn more than premiers or even the prime minister. An MP represents approximately 100,000 people. Should chiefs earn more than them?

Edited by Argus

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I don't know about most people, but i too find it ridiculous these "Chiefs" who represent an average band size of 500 people often earn more than premiers or even the prime minister. An MP represents approximately 100,000 people. Should chiefs earn more than them?

Maybe we have a leader with the abilities of an Abe Lincoln, John Macdonald or Paul Bernardo.

From the story in the papers today, the chief didn't really have much to do with the deal, but simply jumped in at the last minute in order to earn that bonus.

What's bothering me about this is that we only have the facts selected by the media as sensational enough to be 'news': We don't have (and I can't find) the full list of all payouts to all chiefs.

It wuld be useful context to know whether this is a unique and unusual situation, to avoid painting all with the same brush.

That context is important

Sorry but that's simply not true. Human nature unfortunately means that without oversight, corruption will be commonplace

So cheaters will always prosper....might as well embrace the horror and get your's while you can if that's the case. Rules are obviously for suckers.

What's bothering me about this is that we only have the facts selected by the media as sensational enough to be 'news': We don't have (and I can't find) the full list of all payouts to all chiefs.

It wuld be useful context to know whether this is a unique and unusual situation, to avoid painting all with the same brush.

Don't worry....the transparency act will show you what you want once all the statements are in. Here's hoping it's just one or two...

I heard only 20 sent in their numbers.

Here's the website that has all the salaries/honorariums as they roll in. Have a look at the Registered population of each Nation and then subtract out that part that live off-reserve. It's the on-reserve population that the Chief and Band Counsellors are looking out for. It's interesting reading. Many "Nations" only have less than 100 people living on-reserve. For those that have complied with the legislation, there are a good number who have taken modest compensation - but there are others with tiny populations that have distributed well over $200K in salaries and expenses - all tax free.

Is it too much to ask that most Band Chiefs and councillors keep their compensation in line with mayors and councillors of villages and very small towns?

http://pse5-esd5.ainc-inac.gc.ca/FNP/Main/Search/FFListGrid.aspx?lang=eng

Edited by Keepitsimple

What are most disgusting are the apologists who claim that making native leaders live up to the standards that every other public official in this country must meet is some how "disrespectful". It is condescending BS.

The talking point about PM staffers is so bizarre I cannot believe that any ration personal came up with it. If people want to extend the Ontario sunshine list to federal employees then that is worth discussing but there is nothing special about PMO staffers that should require special disclosure rules. It is certainly not an excuse to justify keeping the compensation of the elected/appointed band officials who are equivalent to mayors/councilmen who do have the salaries published.

If people were honest they would admit that the only reason natives leaders want to keep this information secret is because it shows how hypocritical their endless complaining is and it reduces public support for the extortion racket we call "aboriginal rights".

Edited by TimG

What are most disgusting are the apologists who claim that making native leaders live up to the standards that every other public official in this country must meet is some how "disrespectful".

:lol: funny, but , ya know, not true.

It is condescending BS.

Oh my, how ironic. But yes, you are spewing condescending BS.

Edited by Guyser2

I don't believe you. I can find the salaries for MPs, MLAs, Mayors and councillors.

Arent you special !

If you want to make self serving claims then back it up.

You want me to show you that one cant find the salary of every public official in Canada ?

Negatives cant be proven.

Can you find the salary of Jane Thompson , Data entry clerk at OPG ?

IOW, condescending bullshit....cuz we know you cant.

Say it again, it may magically come true !!! Third times a charm doncha know.

{psst...stop now, it is categorically false what you asserted, but yopu are free to continue and be embarassed)

Anyone with a brain would understood from the context that I was talking about the leadership positions.

I don't expect the admin assistants for bands to have their salaries disclosed. I do expect the band leader and council to disclose - just like every other top official at every level of government.

Of course, you seem to revel in being pedantic and completely ignoring the points being made.

Arent you special !

You want me to show you that one cant find the salary of every public official in Canada ?

Negatives cant be proven.

IOW, condescending bullshit....cuz we know you cant.

Say it again, it may magically come true !!! Third times a charm doncha know.

{psst...stop now, it is categorically false what you asserted, but yopu are free to continue and be embarassed)

Guyser2 - congratulations - you've been nominated for dumbest post of the week! <_< BTW - what happened to Guyser1 and Guyser?

Probably pretty close. All federal salaries are posted, if not by individual, then by rank or rating. Ie, you might not know what Colonel Smith makes, but you know the salary range of colonels, just as you do CR-4s. I presume it's the same for the province.

But you miss the point that these are not elected representatives.

Edited by Argus

• 1 month later...

Another one exposed...

"The auditor went through thousands of cheques and bank records and found that over a four-year period the directors of the CDC paid themselves close to $3 million.

One of those directors was former chief and longtime leader Bernard Ominayak, who received 99 payments totalling $1.5 million."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/aboriginal/lubicon-chief-collected-1-5m-while-community-had-no-running-water-audit-1.2763972

Edited by Accountability Now

Another one exposed...

"The auditor went through thousands of cheques and bank records and found that over a four-year period the directors of the CDC paid themselves close to $3 million.

One of those directors was former chief and longtime leader Bernard Ominayak, who received 99 payments totalling $1.5 million."

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/aboriginal/lubicon-chief-collected-1-5m-while-community-had-no-running-water-audit-1.2763972

I am sure they are worth their weight in gold.

A tribe called red cancelled their show at the human rights museum in Winnipeg . Citing "genocide" and (things) "that are not easy to talk about."

Here's a link

http://o.canada.com/news/its-getting-harder-to-ignore-canadas-genocide

The (really good) hip hop trio A Tribe Called Red announced Friday that it wont play a free concert to celebrate the opening of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights in Winnipeg on Saturday night because the museum wont acknowledge that aboriginals were the victims of genocide.

Until this is rectified, well support the museum from a distance, said the band.

Likely because of concerns about legal liability, Ottawa does not want the human rights museum to acknowledge that what happened to aboriginals in this country was a genocide. It seems clear that it was, but so far the debate has consisted of aboriginals, historians and human rights activists making the case for genocide while Ottawa says nothing.

Legal liability:

Article 3

The following acts shall be punishable:(a) Genocide;(B) Conspiracy to commit genocide;© Direct and public incitement to commit genocide;(d) Attempt to commit genocide;(e) Complicity in genocide.

Article 4

Persons committing genocide or any of the other acts enumerated in Article 3 shall be punished, whether they are constitutionally responsible rulers, public officials or private individuals.

Hmmm ... Does "complicity in genocide" include trying to evade responsibility and covering up genocide?

Edited by jacee

I listened to an interview this morning on cbc radio but I don't recall his name, but he is an elder or chief protesting the museum's opening to bring awareness to their living conditions. His community lives on an island separated from the mainland near Winnipeg because of a channel that was built to allow water to flow to satisfy the needs of Winnipeg. The people living on the reservation have had to boil their water for the last 17 years. They take some barge over to the mainland when the water isn't frozen over. When it does freeze over, the only way to the mainland is by walking over the ice. Folks have lost their lives falling through the ice to reach the mainland.