BC Indian chief paid over $900,000.

But he's not a CEO. What a private business pays it's manager, with it's own money isn't my business. But what a person who's paid with tax money, that sets up a mafia-like scheme where he skims 10% off the top of any so-called "economic activity" he "brings" into the community certainly is our business. Especially when the people he's suppose to be representing, are living in much lower circumstances. Stop trying to justify bad behavior.

But if his work brought in 10 million dollars worth of investment, and he got paid 1, then thats still a pretty big benefit for the community. Paying people based on a percentage of the revenue they bring in, is not uncommon. And this isnt your business either. His salary as a chief is about 80k. Nothing crazy... the band decided it was worthwhile to pay a 10% fee to someone that could bring in millions of dollars in investment... how do you know it was a bad decision by them? Maybe its been a net benefit for the community? Sometimes its worth paying a person a lot of money if they get results.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dre your attempt o justify what this corrupt man did is past the point of absurd. No he did not bring in 10 million dollars worth of investment, This Chief sat on his fat ass and did nothing as the 81 homes in his reserve were in bad need of repairs.Go on defend him. Makes sense. Perfect sense. You are a person who supports Hamas and what they do as well. Once someone is to your political liking, you suspend all logic and support them. I get it I also get because he's a native leader you won't criticize him..

I believe If this Chief was a white politician and did the exact same thing to aboriginal people you would be calling for his head. I believe your words reflect a bias that blinds you from admitting the obvious..

If you can't see this person has ripped off his people badly and violated his position of trust as reflected in your words, then your words have zero credibility,

His being an aboriginal is not the issue. His ripping off dependent people who needed that money to improve the quality of their lives is.

Corruption is corruption.

Edited by Rue

Except for you and me, everybody out there is making far too much money for the effort they put in. And I am not so sure about you. :D

Oh, of course, of course. We mustn't judge him, after all. We must remain aloof and unbiased and ponder the implications in a neutral fashion... :rolleyes:

I thought greed was good. In any case, why is everyone pissed off at this guy, shouldn't it be the person(s) who decided to pay him this much that gets hauled out on the carpet?

He is a public servant, and it's usually his buddies who grant these salaries, most of them on the public dole too.

Meanwhile, his people go without.

Oh, of course, of course. We mustn't judge him, after all. We must remain aloof and unbiased and ponder the implications in a neutral fashion... :rolleyes:

It appears that your post is directed to me. I acknowledge that I have seen it. It would be impolite not to do so.

I personally find you an irritant and your recent posts meant to irritate.

Shooo. Go away. Buzz off. Go irritate somebody else.

Sorry, I am not interested in engaging in any dialogue with you or your opinions.

Until/if/when you change your approach I will be responding in this manner.

Have a nice day. :rolleyes:

What disturbs me most about this story, is where the other 7 million went? How are they managing the money? Are they investing it in their community, for addiction services, education programs. I suppose that we will not see those numbers but why not?

We will soon find out about other FN communities. Here in BC alone only 15 of the 205 B.C. bands had their information posted. More are expected in the days and weeks to come, but even this sample reveals some very interesting information.

Here are some more stats that are troublesome:

The Tk'emlups band paid its chief, Shane Gottfriedson, $92,352 last year. Because that salary is tax-free, it's the equivalent of making $128,000 off-reserve -- far more than the mayor of nearby Kamloops, who will make 85,754 next year. Gottfriedson leads a community of 1,058, half of whom live off-reserve; the mayor of Kamloops governs a city of 86,000.

Tk'emlúps also paid six councillors salaries ranging from $79,840 to $84,580 tax-free; far more than the $24,811 Kamloops city councillors make.

Jason Louie, chief of the 235-member Lower Kooteny band, made $60,000 tax-free last year, the equivalent of $76,500 off-reserve. Creston Mayor Ron Toyota made $23,632 for governing more than 5,000.

Snuneymuxw FN Chief Doug White made $108,022 last year, the equivalent of roughly $155,000 if the salary were taxed. He governed a community of 1,716 -- 1,014 of whom live off reserve. Nanaimo Mayor John Ruttan made 84,370, leading almost 85,000.

Let's hope this accountability and transparency will benefit the FN reservations and put more money towards where it is needed most.

110 Chiefs and Councillors in Manitoba made over $100K per year...that's 110....not a small amount of people.

The same article in the Free Press:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/manitoba-chiefs-salary-data-online-269164691.html

States that 5 made more than the Prime Minister, and 20 more than the premier.

But yes, it's just a small amount of people.

Edited by Smallc

Dre your attempt o justify what this corrupt man did is past the point of absurd. No he did not bring in 10 million dollars worth of investment

Corruption is corruption.

I never justified what he did. The story didnt even have that information in it.

You are a person who supports Hamas and what they do as well.

No I dont support Hamas or anything they do. You only think that because you cant read, and because of your religious zealousy and need to label anyone critical of any Israel does as a terrorist supporter.

Once someone is to your political liking, you suspend all logic and support them.

I have no political disposition towards native chiefs what-so-ever. I think most of them are pretty bad.

I believe If this Chief was a white politician and did the exact same thing to aboriginal people you would be calling for his head.

I believe youd have to bend over and spread your arse cheeks to call for your head.

I believe your words reflect a bias that blinds you from admitting the obvious..

Blah blah blah... blah? Ahhh yes, my "native chief bias"... that has been demonstrated... nowhere.. ever.

If you can't see this person has ripped off his people badly and violated his position of trust as reflected in your words, then your words have zero credibility,

He may very well have but the story doesnt contain the information required to make that judgement. All I read was that most of the money he made was as an economic development officer that was to be paid a commision. The story doesnt make it clear how important his role was in securing this money.

Around here, you can usually identify which people on the reserve are Band Council members because they've got brand new pickup trucks on the driveway. But the chief of the Coquitlam band-- population 81, 35 residents-- has taken it to a whole new level:

http://globalnews.ca/news/1486024/documents-show-coquitlam-first-nations-chief-was-paid-nearly-a-million-dollars-in-salary/

It's no wonder the feds pushed for financial disclosure rules, and it's no wonder the aboriginal bands resisted it.

-k

Except for you and me, everybody out there is making far too much money for the effort they put in. And I am not so sure about you. :D

Maybe he's the George Washington, Abe Lincoln or John Macdonald of the FN's. Maybe his words are worth gold. Who knows?

What disturbs me most about this story, is where the other 7 million went? How are they managing the money? Are they investing it in their community, for addiction services, education programs. I suppose that we will not see those numbers but why not?

We will soon find out about other FN communities. Here in BC alone only 15 of the 205 B.C. bands had their information posted. More are expected in the days and weeks to come, but even this sample reveals some very interesting information.

Here are some more stats that are troublesome:

The Tk'emlups band paid its chief, Shane Gottfriedson, $92,352 last year. Because that salary is tax-free, it's the equivalent of making $128,000 off-reserve -- far more than the mayor of nearby Kamloops, who will make 85,754 next year. Gottfriedson leads a community of 1,058, half of whom live off-reserve; the mayor of Kamloops governs a city of 86,000.

Tk'emlúps also paid six councillors salaries ranging from $79,840 to $84,580 tax-free; far more than the $24,811 Kamloops city councillors make.

Jason Louie, chief of the 235-member Lower Kooteny band, made $60,000 tax-free last year, the equivalent of $76,500 off-reserve. Creston Mayor Ron Toyota made $23,632 for governing more than 5,000.

Snuneymuxw FN Chief Doug White made $108,022 last year, the equivalent of roughly $155,000 if the salary were taxed. He governed a community of 1,716 -- 1,014 of whom live off reserve. Nanaimo Mayor John Ruttan made 84,370, leading almost 85,000.

Let's hope this accountability and transparency will benefit the FN reservations and put more money towards where it is needed most.

This is only the head of the pin, Just wait till the rest of the counrty reviews their file and leaders. I am only proud of this PC Bill the rest I have issues with :mellow: Great answer to the issue.

I love how Dre breaks down where the money came from and somehow that means he's justifying it. The guy's salary was $80k, the rest of the money was a 1-time economic development bonus as a result of a multi-million dollar deal. Meanwhile, everyone is up on their high horse crapping all over Chiefs everywhere that have nothing to do with the OP. Look at how many Chiefs make over $100k, Smallc says. Nevermind that MPs with far less responsibility make well over $100k. It's like any time something comes up about First Nations half you people just can't help yourself.

Edited by cybercoma

Oh sorry Cyber I was so busy praying I could not read your last response.

Would you give it a rest. Its absurd enough Dre is now trying to deny he supports Hamas and came on this thread to defend this corrupt sob,now you want to chirp he is misunderstood. Lol. Got it. Thanks for the clarification.

Bottom line, millions of dollars have been stolen from native people by their corrupt council representatives and leaders. Public accountability is needed.

Many of us believe aid to native people is moral responsibility. We also believe it is NOT our moral responsibility to prop corrupt sob's who bloat themselves at their peoples; expense.

It's like any time something comes up about First Nations half you people just can't help yourself.

They always reveal themselves.

I wonder if any of these chiefs gave away $200 million secretly to needy Montreal ad agencies? Probably several of them, eh?