BC Indian chief paid over $900,000.

"J. C. Campbell, another aboriginal country and blues singer scheduled to play on the weekend, said he will continue as planned but he supports A Tribe Called Red's decision.He said it's important for big acts like that to make big statements but it's also important to have an aboriginal presence at the museum's opening weekend. Campbell wants to go and sing songs relevant to aboriginal issues, like one called Residential School Pain.Similarly, Don Amero, a Metis singer-songwriter, will take to the stage as planned. He said he understands the reasons behind A Tribe Called Red's decision but he hasn't been inside the museum yet and wants to see it first before passing judgment."

From cbc. ca

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I listened to an interview this morning on cbc radio but I don't recall his name, but he is an elder or chief protesting the museum's opening to bring awareness to their living conditions.

I have a hard time taking these 'chiefs' seriously when they represent tribes of a few dozen people. If I was an old man who lived in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere would the media breathlessly echo my opinions on things?

I have a hard time taking these 'chiefs' seriously when they represent tribes of a few dozen people. If I was an old man who lived in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere would the media breathlessly echo my opinions on things?

Just so we both aren't whistling in the dark, here are some facts which should explain why the media and the canadian public should take these 'chiefs' seriously.

• Population close to 300
  • One hundred years ago the Shoal Lake community was relocated so Winnipeg could receive safe water to serve their community. Prior to their relocation, they had lived there for a few hundred years.
  • While water from the lake is piped 150 km to Winnipeg, the people of Shoal Lake must rely on bottled water because they don't have an adequate drinking water system of their own.
  • Because of their isolation, many of the necessities of life, from jobs to groceries to medical care, are all on the other side of the water. The high cost of transporting equipment and supplies to the island is also one of the reasons that a new water treatment facility has not been built, even though for years the federal government said that drinking water for Shoal Lake #40 was a high priority.
  • It has also meant tragic delays in getting patients to hospital and has delayed to police and emergency responders getting to the community.

When people are denied safe drinking water, a way to get safely back and forth from their home and lack of access to health care facilities, this is why they are demonstrating. These are the human rights violations.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-bay/shoal-lake-40-human-rights-violations-museum-highlights-water-problems-1.2769067

I'll find you some info. But lets look at this. My father works at a Water Treatment Facility that is paid for by the Province of Manitoba through their northern communities. It serves, at present, 2 communities and will later serve more. He is paid for a .5 time position. The person who works at the closest reserve doing the same job at a less sophisticated facility (far less work) is paid for full time and earns twice as much money as a result. The money is going somewhere.

I'm not sure where you think I made a slur. I didn't. The reserve nearest me, despite my example, is one that does things correctly. There is clean water, balanced books, and public accountability. There's no reason such things can't exist on other FNs.

I have full access to the books of one first nation. I can't show you that. I know where money comes from and where it goes, and I know that other first nations are spending it unwisely, to say the least.

Edited by Smallc

I have full access to the books of none first nation. I can't show you that. I know where money comes from and where it goes, and I know that other first nations are spending it unwisely, to say the least.

Oh?

You're saying that it's not just another of your driveby slurs?

But you can't prove that?

You can't provide evidence of any FN water treatment money being misspent?

Maybe next time don't make libellous allegations you can't back up.

Edited by jacee

Because no one ever accuses governments of any kind of misspending money. The reality is that many first nations have screwed this up. AANDC hasn't done any better, because the results just aren't there in many cases despite the allocation of funds - and those funds are obviously going somewhere.

Because no one ever accuses governments of any kind of misspending money. The reality is that many first nations have screwed this up. AANDC hasn't done any better, because the results just aren't there in many cases despite the allocation of funds - and those funds are obviously going somewhere.

You can accuse all you want,

IF you can produce some evidence.

Lacking that, your comments are just libellous slurs.

Any lowlife can do that.

Aim higher.