Five Taliban For One American Soldier

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the logic behind this is that he is one of ours, he might have deserted but we want him back and deal with him ourselves. A US navy officer I believe put it this way, you might fall of the ship or jump off but we will come back and look for you regardless... So its kinda like leave no man behind wether he deserves to be left behind or not.

I agree. Let's not forget this dude spent 5 years in captivity with terrorists. I think that he has paid his dues, especially if he decided to desert. Let's not forget, this was a very young man, caught up in the war in Afghanistan. So he got terrified, and he wanted to leave. And perhaps he got grabbed by the Taliban. I am pretty sure there are many soldiers in many war zones who have thought the same thing (about deserting). I think he paid the price for his indecisions about the war in Afghanistan.

Is that what you feel war is about - punishing the other side?

Perhaps not the best choice of words, but it can be made to fit...The last option in the diplomatic hand book is the military option....

The military function is to inflict as much damage/death onto our foes as possiable to force diplomatic talks to start once again....Now other citizens may see it differently depending upon their role they play in this....As a soldier it can be seen as punishing our enemy to get them to stop doing something IE invading another country WWI,WWII or to destroy their capacity to inflict damage on others IE AFGHAN, etc ...

Call it what you want....but the majority of Canadians have spoken with their votes, and they said we should punish those pesky terrorist in the middle east.....but then again thats what happens when you stick your head in the sand the world passes you by....

Call it what? That's not the mission Canadians never had any part or role in deciding on. You'd need to have your head stuck somewhere to conclude otherwise.

I believe the logic behind this is that he is one of ours, he might have deserted but we want him back and deal with him ourselves. A US navy officer I believe put it this way, you might fall of the ship or jump off but we will come back and look for you regardless... So its kinda like leave no man behind wether he deserves to be left behind or not.

I agree he should not be left behind ,but now he is home and has to answer for his actions.

I agree. Let's not forget this dude spent 5 years in captivity with terrorists. I think that he has paid his dues, especially if he decided to desert. Let's not forget, this was a very young man, caught up in the war in Afghanistan. So he got terrified, and he wanted to leave. And perhaps he got grabbed by the Taliban. I am pretty sure there are many soldiers in many war zones who have thought the same thing (about deserting). I think he paid the price for his indecisions about the war in Afghanistan.

Nobody knows how he was treated and did he give any info away.

This story is blowing up in the media and in congress. Democrat senate intelligence chair Diane Fienstein is refuting the administrations claims about being breifed on this, and the so-called deteriorating health of the captive.

The New York Times is reporting that the captive sought out the taliban and left a note renouncing his citizenship, and the captives father has posted sympathetic tweets to taliban members.

OMG. Now it is a mistake to get this guy out of captivity at the hands of the Taliban.

Can anyone imagine the absolute shit-storm of abuse the President would be subject to had he have abandoned this USArmy guy to the Taliban?

Shady would be screaming blue-murder.

OMG. Now it is a mistake to get this guy out of captivity at the hands of the Taliban.

Can anyone imagine the absolute shit-storm of abuse the President would be subject to had he have abandoned this USArmy guy to the Taliban?

Shady would be screaming blue-murder.

Not true. I'm not against getting him back. However, I'm not for this particular deal. The 5 for 1 exchange of Taliban commanders for 1 rat fink deserter that cost the lives of 6 other soldiers.

If the guy wasn't sympathetic to the Taliban then he would have been brainwashed into hating others for no good reason. That's the norm in the US military and so it's being questioned now. Interesting that even Wilkerson understands that and is not afraid to say it in public. re: The Chris Hayes show on MSNBC.

In any case, he'll be defended by his political side which is now the Democrats and condemned by the other side for purposes of bashing on Obama more.

It'll all work out and he can become a senator just like McCane for being a songbird. It's just going to be the other party's.

Crass, hypocritical, and dishonest are just a few words to describe American politics and the lemmings who are taken in by it all. It doesn't mean though that Canadians shouldn't be able to see through the smoke screen.

Nobody knows how he was treated and did he give any info away.

He was a Private, the most damaging information he could have possibly been in possession, would have been changed the second they thought he deserted/was captured. I doubt he had much information to give in the first place.

He was a Private, the most damaging information he could have possibly been in possession, would have been changed the second they thought he deserted/was captured. I doubt he had much information to give in the first place.

How many others were there, what types of weapons they have. Don't tell me info like that is not dangerous,especially when his buddies are out looking for him.

How many others were there, what types of weapons they have. Don't tell me info like that is not dangerous,especially when his buddies are out looking for him.

They are dangerous, but for thew most part the insurgents can account for that themselves, I'm not saying he presented no danger but all that information eg numbers and weapon types could be come by through simple recce.

....Crass, hypocritical, and dishonest are just a few words to describe American politics and the lemmings who are taken in by it all. It doesn't mean though that Canadians shouldn't be able to see through the smoke screen.

Yes...that would explain why it is being discussed in the Canadian Politics > Federal Politics area of the forum.

Ya right :rolleyes:

If this guy had any valuable info the US was worried might get out they would kill him in a drone strike without even thinking twice!

WWWTT

Yes...that would explain why it is being discussed in the Canadian Politics > Federal Politics area of the forum.

Ya go talk to big Guy about that.

He has a habit of adding an unlikely twist to qualify this thread here.

And nobody wants to talk about his unlikely twist that he gave in the op.

WWWTT

Ya right :rolleyes:

If this guy had any valuable info the US was worried might get out they would kill him in a drone strike without even thinking twice!

WWWTT

Did I say that or did I say info on his own buddies ,some who were killed looking for him. Maybe that info was used to ambush his buddies. Nice try .

Did I say that or did I say info on his own buddies ,some who were killed looking for him. Maybe that info was used to ambush his buddies. Nice try .

Actually I guess that's possible. But I seriously doubt it.

If you want to debate it further, than come up with some actual examples of this. Because what you are suggesting is very vague and generic.

WWWTT

Actually I guess that's possible. But I seriously doubt it.

If you want to debate it further, than come up with some actual examples of this. Because what you are suggesting is very vague and generic.

WWWTT

Why, 1st thing you do to a prisoner or defecter is to interrogate him, who knows what he said.

Don't worry, the US priority will be to make sure that it's not seen as a person with a conscience not being able to continue to fight against people in their own country that are innocent of crimes. The US must always try to maintain the façade of the moral high ground.

In actual practice for the past 65-70 years, they haven't been on moral high ground. We know now that the Iraq war was a phony trumped up cause for oil and we know now that the Russians never were coming.

The propaganda has begun. Bergdahl looked healthy, fit, and well fed regardless of what the US media tries to say. The Taliban video was expressly meant to show just that. It will never do for Americans to see the Taliban as human.

You are absolutely right, the Taliban are down right humanitarians... bastard Americans being animals and all... I don't know if you know anything about the Taliban or any group that shares their beliefs wether they are muslim or christian, but if the US was trying to make them look less than human, they don't have to work hard at it. Looking at their philosophy on religion, women, education and those who do not share their "religion" would be more than sufficient grounds to label them animals and the US does not need to do a damn thing but point at their actions,beliefs and history.

Don't worry, the US priority will be to make sure that it's not seen as a person with a conscience not being able to continue to fight against people in their own country that are innocent of crimes. The US must always try to maintain the façade of the moral high ground.

In actual practice for the past 65-70 years, they haven't been on moral high ground. We know now that the Iraq war was a phony trumped up cause for oil and we know now that the Russians never were coming.

You make alot of asumptions, things like he developed a conscience, you talk like the other soldiers did not have a conscience were mere robots / programed killers....We all have our demons that keep us awake at night, mine have nothing to do with pulling the triger on any of those bottom feeders.......instead it's seeing the crimes they commited on their very own people .....I'm not sure how you developed the opinion you have today but i can tell you first hand we did make a difference for the better in Afghan.......The facts are there you just got to look for them...

Did i ever develope a conscience for the Taliban or the terrorist that they employed....never...because i seen first hand the crimes they commited , things like cutting a 6 year old hands of for going to school, after they exicuted her father and raped her mother in front of her....skinning alive an old man, then staking him to the ground to be cooked alive in plus 45 sun....throwing acid in the faces of young women....having a 10 year boy cut the head of a captive with a dull machette while they vidioed it for the world to see....

Nice guys everyone of them, according to you inocent of any crimes....There was no facade of moral high ground....we did have the high ground we owned the high ground. We went there to destroy the terrorist groups from be able to operate inter nationally, and in the process disposed of a brutal regime, the few that terrorised the many.... i have no regrets nor do any of the troops i served with...

And would gladly do it all over again....