This week in Islam

kimmy

34 minutes ago, eyeball said:

In the meantime we can expect continued vengeance until we do something about the actions of our bastards here in the present.

What do you suggest we can do to prevent the next blasphemy killing?  Because I'll do it, if at all possible. I'm all for freedom of speech. If I can stop killings for apostasy, honour and homosexuality I'll give that a shot too.  As long as it doesn't go into the weekend. 

16 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

What do you suggest we can do to prevent the next blasphemy killing?  Because I'll do it, if at all possible. I'm all for freedom of speech. If I can stop killings for apostasy, honour and homosexuality I'll give that a shot too.  As long as it doesn't go into the weekend. 

Simple. Tell the USA to stop its war crimes and terrorism. 

44 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Start negotiating but It'll likely go into the next century.

Yes, I support the notion that we fight them over there, to keep them from attacking us here. That was the plan that worked. Under Obama you had the appeasement theory which did not work. ISIS.

So we must fight them. There is no other choice. Now, would you prefer we fight them there, or here?

55 minutes ago, eyeball said:

If you and I were killed in the same terrorist attack I'd be the collateral damage.

Because the Taliban approve of you.

1 minute ago, OftenWrong said:

Yes, I support the notion that we fight them over there, to keep them from attacking us here. That was the plan that worked. Under Obama you had the appeasement theory which did not work. ISIS. 

i don't see any change in strategy with respect to ISIS, frankly.  The US supported Iraq against them and continues to do so.  Sending ground troops isn't a big part of this, if at all as far as I can see. 

1 minute ago, Michael Hardner said:

i don't see any change in strategy with respect to ISIS, frankly.  The US supported Iraq against them and continues to do so.  Sending ground troops isn't a big part of this, if at all as far as I can see. 

Sending really big bombs is, thankfully.

Just now, Michael Hardner said:

The people who really know what to do are the people who are on the ground, and their commanders. It comes down to a question of, does the commander in chief give them full reign, the benefit of the doubt, or does he purposefully limit their actions. In this regard I think the difference in attitude between a Trump and an Obama should be obvious.

Second, as if you know anything about what they are doing on the ground. The fact that we don't hear things doesn't mean things are not taking place.

Third, and perhaps most simply stated of all - MOAB

:D

5 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

1) The people who really know what to do are the people who are on the ground, and their commanders. It comes down to a question of, does the commander in chief give them full reign, the benefit of the doubt, or does he purposefully limit their actions. In this regard I think the difference in attitude between a Trump and an Obama should be obvious.

2) Second, as if you know anything about what they are doing on the ground. The fact that we don't hear things doesn't mean things are not taking place.

3) Third, and perhaps most simply stated of all - MOAB

:D

1) I don't know what that means.  Do you have an example ?  The ISIS fight is mostly being done by Iraq supported by others isn't it ?

2) Ok, if "we" don't hear things then what are you hearing ?  I don't pretend to be an expert but I don't see any difference, honestly.

3) Wasn't that used on the Taliban ?  We were discussing ISIS.  I concur that the MOAB bombing is a change over Obama's actions.

Just now, Michael Hardner said:

Is there anything new there with respect to US support ?

It was the first one they sent in.  That's new.

Killed 36 ISIS personnel, at last count, who now will no longer be able to kill anyone themselves.  Sounds like support to me.

18 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

No the original plan, launched 6 decades ago, was to appease and support dictatorships in Muslim lands to prevent Russia from attacking us.

ISIS is simply another in long line of consequences of that policy which will continue stretching into the foreseeable future.

Because the Taliban approve of you.

No, its because the Taliban can't tell us apart. We often bemoan the fact that terrorists often don't wear uniforms so we can't tell the guilty from the innocent - they have the same problem. 

Edited by eyeball

1 minute ago, bcsapper said:

It was the first one they sent in.  That's new.

Killed 36 ISIS personnel, at last count, who now will no longer be able to kill anyone themselves.  Sounds like support to me.

Ah ok.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/14/asia/afghanistan-isis-moab-bomb/

I see the roots of my confusion on here - these were ISIS in Afghanistan that were targeted.  Ok, point taken.

1 minute ago, Michael Hardner said:

1) I don't know what that means.  Do you have an example ?  The ISIS fight is mostly being done by Iraq supported by others isn't it ?

2) Ok, if "we" don't hear things then what are you hearing ?  I don't pretend to be an expert but I don't see any difference, honestly.

3) Wasn't that used on the Taliban ?  We were discussing ISIS.  I concur that the MOAB bombing is a change over Obama's actions.

It's too soon to say if there is a paradigm shift, but the most loud mouthed of intentions indicated there would be.

20 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

There do seem to be lots of people who want to complain to each other about dirty foreigners here, and how they don't accept criticism the irony being completely lost.

Would you care to repeat this in English? You reduce concern about violent religious fanaticism and values hostile to our own to 'complaints about dirty foreigners' in a fashion that would give credit to the most sanctimonious social justice warrior.

By all means feel free to rail and complain against groups that are separate from you.  I will wait until there are people who can discuss the topic of culture clash at a higher level than this before I start that other thread, though.

So now you appear to be sulking because I have suggested that a topic called "This week in Islam" is not the appropriate one to discuss culture differences. Are you incapable of starting such a topic yourself under the appropriate forum?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bcsapper said:

Don't you understand yet? When A Muslim mob beats and stabs another Muslim to death for blaspheme it's merely a result of western imperialism and colonialism! How can you not be shriveled up in guilt and self-hatred like the Left is! It's your fault, after all!

3 minutes ago, Argus said:

So now you appear to be sulking because I have suggested that a topic called "This week in Islam" is not the appropriate one to discuss culture differences. Are you incapable of starting such a topic yourself under the appropriate forum?

A more appropriate thread title to counter this thread would be This Week in Argus' Head.

You, at least, have tried to be objective and reflexive when discussing culture.  There are a lot of people don't understand why such a thing would be interesting or worthwhile.  They have posted on this thread that they don't care what others have to say about their culture, as they moo endlessly about other cultures and their need for reform.  

I like to listen to music but usually it's more than one note.

It's too bad you are incapable of playing more than one note yourself. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Argus said:

Don't you understand yet? When A Muslim mob beats and stabs another Muslim to death for blaspheme it's merely a result of western imperialism and colonialism! How can you not be shriveled up in guilt and self-hatred like the Left is! It's your fault, after all!

I wonder if they sell hair shirts on Kijiji...

18 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

1) I'm playing your words back to you so you can see how difficult it is to do anything with them.  

2) It is simple.  There isn't anything to discuss, you're right.  Which makes me wonder what the point of posting is.

Perhaps you would be happier banning all further discussion of immigration. I find your efforts at shutting down discussions on this subject to be contemptible.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

I wonder if they sell hair shirts on Kijiji...

I'm fairly sure everyone on the opposite side of this discussion has a closet filled with them. Perhaps they'll lend you a few.