This week in Islam

kimmy

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

If not, then why are you here adding to the conversation?

If you feel that people who speak their minds shouldn't expect to feel safe, you're showing a lack of caring for groups.  This is antithetical to Christianity and liberal tolerance.  

If you feel that you don't owe anything to other groups then you are validating the reason for this thread by framing your faith as a combative and divisive ideology.

It matters because your role here is to either confirm or dispell the thesis of the thread.

I have never insinuated either of the things you claim.

On 7/11/2019 at 8:51 AM, Marocc said:

What is a Muslim assaults someone sexually? It was interesting at the American border control just now some official groped a 15 year old. No one cares much but if he had been a Muslim, you'd all be hyperventilating.

What made the official think it was okay?

2 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Why does it matter?  It's wrong.

We weren't talking about right or wrong.  We were talking about possible motivation. 

If it's wrong, why did he do it?

7 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

We weren't talking about right or wrong.  We were talking about possible motivation. 

If it's wrong, why did he do it?

American culture: might is right.  You are weaker and smaller than me, therefore I can abuse you with impunity.

1 minute ago, dialamah said:

American culture: might is right.  You are weaker and smaller than me, therefore I can abuse you with impunity.

Sure.  He might have known it was wrong, and did it anyway, figuring he wouldn't get caught, but there's no doubt his upbringing played a part.

Clearly, American values are antithetical to Canadian values.  We need to make sure they do not destroy Canadian culture by asking them questions at the border.  We know they'll lie, just so they can come into Canada and bring their power/violence mad culture here and live off our welfare state while plotting our downfall, so we'll be sneaky about those questions.  They'll never figure it out!

2 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Clearly, American values are antithetical to Canadian values.  We need to make sure they do not destroy Canadian culture by asking them questions at the border.  We know they'll lie, just so they can come into Canada and bring their power/violence mad culture here and live off our welfare state while plotting our downfall, so we'll be sneaky about those questions.  They'll never figure it out!

They'll just lie.  We need to tell them that barbaric cultural practices are expressly forbidden, making sure to detail said practices so there is no doubt as to what we mean, and then deport them without appeal once they have been found guilty of indulging in them.  If they do.

On 7/11/2019 at 2:52 PM, Michael Hardner said:

What for?  Will it help? Do you say that because there aren't any?

I feel like I already have done that in the past, too.

There was a time when people used to say Muslims didn't condemn violence.  Then people showed them that Muslims did condemn violence.  So they found something else bad to say.

Your response sounds like a cop-out, an evasive dodge. As if it wouldn't help. The claim that no one would listen is BS. Promoting good things would be an effective counter to extremism, on both sides. For every media an equal and opposite media. But I have yet to see such an effort, either from the media or mainscream enthusiasts like yourself. So perhaps it doesn't exist.

16 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Promoting good things would be an effective counter to extremism, on both sides.

I post positive things from the Muslim world; just a day ago, I posted about the conference with 1200 attendees to consider ways to combat divisiveness, violence and extremism.  I was attacked for that.

When positive news stories are posted about successful Muslims in the West, they are dismissed as government propaganda and not representative of the majority.

Perhaps, if you are concerned about extremism "on both sides" you could make more effort to notice and support "the positive" instead of assuming it doesn't happen.

1 hour ago, bcsapper said:

They'll just lie.  We need to tell them that barbaric cultural practices are expressly forbidden, making sure to detail said practices so there is no doubt as to what we mean, and then deport them without appeal once they have been found guilty of indulging in them.  If they do.

That won't work.  They'll just lay low until they represent (3% or 5% or 10%, some massive minority like that) of the population and then just take over.  We need to make sure they can't get into the country at all.  They must prove that they aren't guilty of future bad behavior before being allowed in.

Edited by dialamah
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

1. Your response sounds like a cop-out, an evasive dodge. As if it wouldn't help. The claim that no one would listen is BS.

2. But I have yet to see such an effort, either from the media or mainscream enthusiasts like yourself. So perhaps it doesn't exist.

1. There are lots of positive stories out there and I think I have posted some in the past. I don't see any evidence of someone being impacted by such stories.

2. What specifically are you asking from me?  I'm on my phone so searching isn't very easy.  I'm almost certain I have posted positive stories here though.

37 minutes ago, dialamah said:

That won't work.  They'll just lay low until they represent (3% or 5% or 10%, some massive minority like that) of the population and then just take over.  We need to make sure they can't get into the country at all.  They must prove that they aren't guilty of future bad behavior before being allowed in.

I disagree. But then, I'm armed.

25 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. There are lots of positive stories out there and I think I have posted some in the past. I don't see any evidence of someone being impacted by such stories.

2. What specifically are you asking from me?  I'm on my phone so searching isn't very easy.  I'm almost certain I have posted positive stories here though.

Positive stories are the same as negative stories.  Regardless of who they are about, the expression "not all of them" applies.

1 hour ago, dialamah said:

I post positive things from the Muslim world; just a day ago, I posted about the conference with 1200 attendees to consider ways to combat divisiveness, violence and extremism.  I was attacked for that.

No, it was pointed out to you that the organization in question is funded by the Saudi government, and thus the interpretation you put on their words is most unlikely to resemble their actual intentions.

37 minutes ago, Argus said:

No, it was pointed out to you that the organization in question is funded by the Saudi government, and thus the interpretation you put on their words is most unlikely to resemble their actual intentions.

As usual, anything positive posted about Muslims is discounted by the usual suspects. #NoGoodMuslims

27 minutes ago, dialamah said:

As usual, anything positive posted about Muslims is discounted by the usual suspects. #NoGoodMuslims

I'm sure there are good Muslims. I'm also sure they don't work for the Saudi government at a propaganda mill.