Quebec Strikes Again!

Boges

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/quebec-store-owner-ordered-to-translate-facebook-page-to-french-1.2553262?cmp=fbtl

The Quebec government has ordered the owner of a store in Chelsea, Que., to change the language of her store’s Facebook page to French.

Eva Cooper owns the women’s clothing boutique store, Delilah {in the Parc}, with locations in Ottawa’s Glebe neighbourhood, as well as in Chelsea, just north of Gatineau.

Cooper said she serves customers in both languages, but her Facebook posts are mostly in English.

“I was a little bit in shock. I was a bit taken aback,” Cooper said regarding the request to change her Facebook page.

“It’s not like I’ve ever not followed the law with my businesses on the Quebec side.”

Cooper said she received a letter from the provincial government after a customer complained the page did not meet the requirements of Bill 101, the main legislation in Quebec’s language policy.

How can Quebec be allowed to be such tyrants?

Imagine if someone told a Chinese business they had to have English on their Facebook Page?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the Quebec government needs to look at social media and how it relates to advertising business re: brochures, marketing etc. This is a grey area and I think the gov't needs to set out guidelines. What about twitter? Should posts in twitter be in french and english?

Looks like the Quebec government needs to look at social media and how it relates to advertising business re: brochures, marketing etc. This is a grey area and I think the gov't needs to set out guidelines. What about twitter? Should posts in twitter be in french and english?

I think the ROC should think long and hard about subsidizing this BS.

Do you live in Quebec?

Do you pay for Quebec's nonsense? Do you live in a state bordering Quebec that has picked up a lot of English-speaking Montrealers?

Edited by jbg

Apparently they are thinking of enacting a bilingual dog bylaw down there. Ya' kmow. commands have to be in both official languages. "Sit" must be followed by asseyez-vous, etc.

I'd like to ask you for a cite on that, especially because I know the source of this "story". CBC's This is That.

She is going to make life miserble for the anglos so they will leave . And when they get the numbers they will vote on separation andf will get it and then quebec will become a major oil/NG powerhouse and keep every cent they make.

Ok...thinking ...thinking...

OK got it!

We don't subsidize this.

Now what?

Matter of fact we do in a way, if you are refering to transfer payments because in figuring out transfer payments the money quebec makes off of hydro is not used , so really they get more then they should. Edited by PIK

They are trying to protect their culture and heritage. I see nothing wrong with that. If they don't do it, no one else will.

Facebook language police? That's just sheer stupidity.

When you consider how much companies use FB to promote their goods and services, build customer relationships etc. you can understand why the govt thinks their should be a french version. FB is used as a marketing tool and currently printed marketing material needs to be in french. The Quebec govt needs to address digital media and put out clear guidelines to avoid confusion.

When you consider how much companies use FB to promote their goods and services, build customer relationships etc. you can understand why the govt thinks their should be a french version. FB is used as a marketing tool and currently printed marketing material needs to be in french. The Quebec govt needs to address digital media and put out clear guidelines to avoid confusion.

If a business needs to market in French, then they will. Quebec shouldn't be paying civil servants to surf the interwebs to hunt down the English language. It's completely asinine.

Not only is it idiotic, it is also hypocritical. Quebec has an English Facebook page that is not translated into French.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-defends-english-facebook-page-for-n-y-office-1.2554867

Edited by The_Squid

She is going to make life miserble for the anglos so they will leave . And when they get the numbers they will vote on separation andf will get it and then quebec will become a major oil/NG powerhouse and keep every cent they make.

It will get worse, much worse.

On veut un pays.

Edited by August1991

You mean Quebec will then become a bankrupt country, and refuse to pay its bills, don't you? I see an independent Quebec as sort of a colder, less colorful, less artistic, more frumpy and provincial version of present day Argentina -- with worse government.

The separatists are going to put oil under Quebec ?

By the sounds of it ,they are sitting on lots. So if true ,they are talking alot of money.

http://blogs.canoe.ca/lilleyspad/contributor-columns/column-duhaime-time-for-quebec-to-drill-its-own-oil-wells/

The Montreal Economic Institute (MEI) published a relevant study by Prof. Germain Belzile, entitled “The benefit of oil production development in Quebec.” According to several evaluations, there are more than 46 billion barrels of oil in two locations in Quebec: Anticosti Island and Old Harry.

The MEI conservatively estimates that at $100 a barrel, and assuming that just one-tenth of those reserves were recoverable, Quebec’s potential production worth would be more than $400 billion. And we are not even talking here about the other great unexploited natural resource reserves that Quebec has but refuses to exploit — shale gas.

Why do you care what Quebec does to protect their heritage. Seriously, does it impact your personal lifestyle that much?

How many posts are from real people screen names who have a personal stake in the matters up for debate?