Quebec Strikes Again!

Boges

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It affects all Canadians. We are all Canadians, including those who pretend otherwise.

My point is that if Quebec wants to enforce marketing materials for businesses to be in english and french regardless of the media format, why is that a bother to Canadians. They already have this law on the books, they are just extending it to digital. Why the uproar?

It affects all Canadians. We are all Canadians, including those who pretend otherwise.

I deeply appreciate your turning me into an honorary Canadian.

I looked at all my returns and submitted monies, none of them say 'for quebec's language police"

Funny thing that huh?

I don't think your returns say "Equalization" or "Bombardier" either.

You know. . . if any other western culture wanted to "preserve heritage" it would be labeled xenophobic and/or racist.

Hardly. Only if the actions to preserve a culture are actually was racist or xenophobic.

And often Quebec (politicians/separtists) have certainly been racist and/or xenophobic. But the goal of preserving culture does not automatically make it so.

You know. . . if any other western culture wanted to "preserve heritage" it would be labeled xenophobic and/or racist.

Not necessarily. The recent case of the native student violating the scent policy in a school in MB because he was smudging before class shows that you can be labeled racist for not accommodating cultural preservation and heritage.

I think society has deemed it acceptable for minorities to preserve heritage, but it seems less acceptable for non-minorities. This double standard may have to do with trying to "level the playing field", or may be an effort to enforce the perception of multiculturalism.

Not necessarily. The recent case of the native student violating the scent policy in a school in MB because he was smudging before class shows that you can be labeled racist for not accommodating cultural preservation and heritage.

I think society has deemed it acceptable for minorities to preserve heritage, but it seems less acceptable for non-minorities. This double standard may have to do with trying to "level the playing field", or may be an effort to enforce the perception of multiculturalism.

You do know that "non-minorities" don't need to preserve their culture since they are the dominant culture and are not in need of the same preserving, right? LOL

Edited by The_Squid

The Francophone seems to be the dominant culture in Quebec. So trying to stamp out use of English and other languages does seem xenophobic.

As said in my OP, trying to legislate the use of English as opposed to Chinese in Ontario would be labeled as such.

Hardly. Only if the actions to preserve a culture are actually was racist or xenophobic.

And often Quebec (politicians/separtists) have certainly been racist and/or xenophobic. But the goal of preserving culture does not automatically make it so.

Can you mouth the words "Boer culture" in South Africa? Not saying I support apartheid but just pointing out one example. The other example is the desire of the "Zionists" to preserve Jewish culture.

• 2 weeks later...

No, that's not unfair, as the program exists for everyone. For the record though, Quebec is a net benefactor to the tune of $16.3B that they'd be without as an independent country.

Edited by Smallc

No, that's not unfair, as the program exists for everyone. For the record though, Quebec is a net benefactor to the tune of $16.3B that they'd be without as an independent country.

Will the PQ explain that in their referendum ads?

smallc,

Question #1

How much does Quebec, Quebecers, Quebec Corporations Pay directly to the Federal Government in terms of

Income tax

Personal Tax

Corporation Tax

Mining and Logging Tax

Consumption tax

General Sales Tax (Yes its a different category and not the same)

Gasoline and Motorfuel Tax

Payroll taxes

Natural resource Tax and Licencing

Investment Income.