What is the 'Canadian Dream' ?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....The real issue driving house prices is not the term but the subprime mortgages and zero percent down. At some point you have to have skin in the game otherwise it just makes it easy to walk which is no good for anyone.

Agreed....Ninja loans made this possible. They broke the rules of the game.

According to Rue, people who obsess about other countries are actually racists towards the people of that country. I get the feeling BC2004 really hates Canadians.

People who bait and troll generally don't like their targets. It's not personal, though. They probably don't like anyone ... :lol:

Agreed....Ninja loans made this possible. They broke the rules of the game.

Yes...and unfortunately the CMHC was the taking on a lot of the high risk loans to stimulate the market after the 2008 crash. Glad they learned quickly.

It sounds like Flaherty wants to privitize the CMHC as it has served its purpose in getting WW2 vets houses after the war. I think its fair to say that war vets needed that help....current Canadians depending on CMHC might not be the best candidates for home ownership. I know we saved up until we had 10% to put down (thus avoiding CMHC)....but that was just us. Others will take advantage of whatever government program is out there.

Yes...and unfortunately the CMHC was the taking on a lot of the high risk loans to stimulate the market after the 2008 crash. Glad they learned quickly.

It sounds like Flaherty wants to privitize the CMHC as it has served its purpose in getting WW2 vets houses after the war. I think its fair to say that war vets needed that help....current Canadians depending on CMHC might not be the best candidates for home ownership. I know we saved up until we had 10% to put down (thus avoiding CMHC)....but that was just us. Others will take advantage of whatever government program is out there.

Dunno, I took CMHC insurance. 10% is a lot.

Edited by Boges

Right...so one can say that home ownership in some form is part of the "Canadian Dream" based on observed behaviour and ownership rates, even though that varies from region to region. But now the opportunity to even do so is diminishing, and to hear the Millennials tell the story, they are being shut out of the 'dream', or the 'dream must be redefined because of crushing debt and higher costs.

Right...so one can say that home ownership in some form is part of the "Canadian Dream" based on observed behaviour and ownership rates, even though that varies from region to region. But now the opportunity to even do so is diminishing, and to hear the Millennials tell the story, they are being shut out of the 'dream', or the 'dream must be redefined because of crushing debt and higher costs.

I don't think the dream is gone...it's just much bigger. People used to be happy with a small little modest house where as it seems like most people now need bigger, better and newer. People are quite willing to be house poor just to get the property they want rather than taking the property they should have. Our sense of delayed gratification is way off and we want that dream now instead of working for it. Keep in mind a dream to own a house doesn't mean the right to own a house.

Dunno, I took CMHC insurance. 10% is a lot.

Sorry...I responded before you edited it to 10%. I don't think 10% is too much to for....depending in where you want to live. Again.,.if your first home is over $500k then you might want to be asking if you are in the right house to begin with!

If a large part of the Canadian Dream is to own your own home, then we're at a record high for the number of households who own their own home - at over 70% - up from 68% in 2006. People have always been "house poor" through the first 10 years or so of their mortgage. People tend to buy the most expensive house they can afford because it's the biggest asset they'll ever own - sort of forced savings. The biggest danger for newer homeowners is always a quick upswing in Mortgage rates - but even that is a personal choice because you can always lock it in for 5 years - better safe than sorry? Not to drift this thread but I'm more concerned with the "business" of Universities and the conflict of interest that they have in churning people through their myriad of degrees that are irrelevant to the real-world needs of our economy. The perception that the Trades somehow have far less worth than a University degree is a dis-service to both our economy that is screaming for skilled tradesmen - and to a large segment of our young workforce who could earn a living that in many cases approaches 6 figures - not to mention the community of co-workers that can help to build houses. Europe values their tradespeople - we need to do the same. By the way, I'm not a tradesperson......wish I was - I could fix that damn garage door.

I didn't make up the rules to this game. So we gots countries for now. If you wish to claim that the "dreams" are nearly or exactly the same, then just say so.

I think that the dream came from philosophers who came up with new rules for how humans should live. Some practical thinkers, dreamers and businessmen started a country that allowed people to sink or swim according to their dreams, and to live according to how they - and not a pope or monarch - wanted them to.

The idea caught on, and everybody copied it - even cold countries that still ostensibly had monarchs. The dream, as it is, is just a way of thinking about the relationships between individuals and power - and it was a superior way of thinking.

The Canadian dream maybe is more about what happens when the American dream works for a few, and leaves a large number of individuals to fall backward, not even to fall behind but to regress. Maybe the Canadian Dream is that a benevolent monarch will come in and reset the rules of the game so that those who fall farthest behind can still somehow move forward.

I find it way to amusing, actually not amusing but concerning that BC's simple question could not be answered, .....instead alot of the posters here find the question to difficult to answer, and like most Canadians when confused or cornered revert back to one of their basic Canadian rights given to them by our charter " Bash Americans when ever they can"....

But then again we had also the same problem when asked what makes a Canadian, or what are Canadian values.....it turned into a bash American thread as well.....

Ran across this story today....something to the effect that the 'Canadian Dream' is a myth. What is the 'Canadian Dream', be it myth or reality ? Is this term just imported from the U.S. (as usual) for domestic political reasons ?

Does the Canadian dream stop at owning your own home , and piece of land.....if it does then i think the dream is alive and well, with a majority of Canadians owning one, shit today you'd be hard press to not find 2 cars in the driveway, sometimes a boat, ATV or Sled, god knows how many other toys hidden from view, inside those homes how many TV's, DVD players, stainless steel app, would you find.....

the source that was provided took the reader on a trip that everyone wanted to believe.....and yet reality says something different....

But i think the Canadian dream is more than owning a house, i think it is about having access to free medical care, it's about living in a free country that even a single person can make changes, it's about having access to good paying jobs to provide for your family....it's about living in a country that has a safe enviroment to raise children. It's about having access to an abundance of food , resources, entertainment,education and a high standard of living....It's about having acess to a welfare and unemployment system for when your down on your luck....Really when you think about we have a system for everything, every problem Canadians are afflicted with,drug and achole related depression the list goes on, much to long but you get the idea....

The Canadian dream is about having peace of mind so you can sit down in your lazy boy chair, watch the NHL hockey game on your wide screen TV, and take your electronic devices with you to the bath room just so you don't miss any of the game....with a small beer fridge right next to your lazy boy so you can enjoy your favorite Canadian beer, with your 2.5 children and dog, and cat.....and 3 gold fish, and a hampster....all while your wife prepares snacks for everyone that could feed a small african village of 50....

Edited by Army Guy

The Canadian dream is about having peace of mind so you can sit down in your lazy boy chair, watch the NHL hockey game on your wide screen TV, and take your electronic devices with you to the bath room just so you don't miss any of the game....with a small beer fridge right next to your lazy boy so you can enjoy your favorite Canadian beer, with your 2.5 children and dog, and cat.....and 3 gold fish, and a hampster....all while your wife prepares snacks for everyone that could feed a small african village of 50....

And for some that may be the CDN dream, ask another 1000 people and you'll get another 1000 replies with some overlap.

The dream is what any individual wants, same for any person of any country (1st world that is)

If ownership is a metric, then we are doing well (68.4%)though we have nothing on Bulgaria.(97%)

This interesting (but very expected) definition of the Canadian Dream is readily available on hats, tee-shirts, hoodies, and mouse pads:

Canadian Dream

Fun Canadian theme with red and white waving Canadian flag and text saying... Canada...Living the American Dream with less violence since 1867.
155300_340.jpg

http://www.zazzle.ca/canadian_dream_hats-148228225498916627

s.gif

s.gif

Edited by bush_cheney2004

This interesting (but very expected) definition of the Canadian Dream is readily available on hats, tee-shirts, hoodies, and mouse pads:

Canadian Dream

Fun Canadian theme with red and white waving Canadian flag and text saying... Canada...Living the American Dream with less violence since 1867.

s.gif

Maybe this is the Canadian Dream.....the ability to hear the ol' USA chants and to be able to silence them in one shot

The Illinois student section decided to play the role of antagonist even after Stauskas drilled three early 3s. Seeing him inbound the ball near midcourt with four seconds left in the first half, the Illini undergrads breathed down the Canadian's neck with the clichéd "USA! USA!" chant.

Stauskas tossed the inbound to point guard Derrick Walton Jr., crossed over halfcourt, called for the ball back, caught a pass from Walton and dead-eyed a dagger from 25-feet out. As the 3-pointer silence the gym, Stauskas wheeled, glared into the student section and held the pose for all to notice.

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2014/03/nik_stauskas_burns_illinois_wi.html

I do like the flag they use to cheer on Stauskas at the Michigan games. Have you seen it? Lovely Michigan colours....or is it colors if I'm talking about MIchigan?

800px-Flag_of_Canada_recolour.svg.png