What is the 'Canadian Dream' ?

Ran across this story today....something to the effect that the 'Canadian Dream' is a myth. What is the 'Canadian Dream', be it myth or reality ? Is this term just imported from the U.S. (as usual) for domestic political reasons ?

Canada's middle-class is mortgaging its future to stay afloat, making the Canadian dream "a myth more than a reality."

That's the blunt assessment of an internal Conservative government report, an unvarnished account of the plight of middle-income families that's in contrast to the rosier economic picture in this month's budget.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canada-s-middle-class-mortgaging-its-future-with-debt-1.2548633

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ran across this story today....something to the effect that the 'Canadian Dream' is a myth. What is the 'Canadian Dream', be it myth or reality ? Is this term just imported from the U.S. (as usual) for domestic political reasons ?

Canada's middle-class is mortgaging its future to stay afloat, making the Canadian dream "a myth more than a reality."

That's the blunt assessment of an internal Conservative government report, an unvarnished account of the plight of middle-income families that's in contrast to the rosier economic picture in this month's budget.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canada-s-middle-class-mortgaging-its-future-with-debt-1.2548633

Yet another reason to oust the Conservatives.

That's what I figured too, but who am I to say ? :lol:

What's the French Dream? Or the German Dream? What's the Venezulean Dream? As it was pointed out, it's meaningless outside the US it's used as a romanticised notion of home-ownership and financial stability.

What is the Canadian Dream? Depends on where you live - out here it's owining any piece of property and spending your time outdoors. In Toronto, I'm sure it's different... more corporate, less outdoorsy, but a more world-class city. I love Toronto.

Quebec, leur pays n'est pay un pay, c'est l'hiver as they famously coined. Just getting through winter, having some port through the cold nights, dominating the intellectual and artistic hub of the country while dressing really cool and cussing out the Anglais may be a bit of Quebecois Dream.

So yeah, no "Canadian Dream", but broken little provincial dreams seem to be more our thing

And yes, our housing is pretty scary. It was starting to raise early 2000's but instead of fixing thing, the Harper government rolled out the 40 year mortgages so that we can keep paying for the shacks which were starting to raise in price given the impact of foreign investment on the luxury market.

Not sure you noticed, but prices pretty much doubled since Harper came in power and I don't see things having gotten this bad had we stayed with the 25 year mortgages.

....So yeah, no "Canadian Dream", but broken little provincial dreams seem to be more our thing

This seems to be the case, as the term has been around for some time according to the CBC, including Elvis Presley.

http://www.cbc.ca/history/SECTIONSE1EP15CH3LE.html

Then there is Sam Roberts' take on the 'Canadian Dream':

Edited by bush_cheney2004

And yes, our housing is pretty scary. It was starting to raise early 2000's but instead of fixing thing, the Harper government rolled out the 40 year mortgages so that we can keep paying for the shacks which were starting to raise in price given the impact of foreign investment on the luxury market.

Not sure you noticed, but prices pretty much doubled since Harper came in power and I don't see things having gotten this bad had we stayed with the 25 year mortgages.

It was because house prices started to rise that CMHC allowed the 40 year mortgages otherwise a majority of first time home owners wouldn't be able to get into the market. In my opinion the issue wasn't the term of the mortgage, it was that they allowed this mortgage with zero percent down! People should be required to put down at least 10% to show they are serious about owning a home as it is serious business.

They have since reduced the term in 2008 back to 35 years and in 2012 moved it back to 25 year mortgages.

Edited by Accountability Now

I think the term "Canadian dream" is embarrassing.

But, I'm comforted to know that the Conservatives are realizing that the open market isn't bringing money to their rockbed of support in the middle.

Why is the term embarrassing ? American references aside, it just seems to be a tidy way to describe the loss of assumed and/or mythical opportunity that is gone or never even existed, along with a long presumed advantage over "developing nations".

The Maritimes have long struggled with a "dream" gone missing, never to return.

The report seems to stop at 2007, so the money trend has been longer than just Conservative rule.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

That was the Liberal-Conservative Party.[/size]

The [/size]Conservative Party of Canada has gone by a variety of names over the years since[/size]Canadian Confederation. Initially known as the "[/size]Liberal-Conservative Party", it dropped "Liberal" from its name in 1873, although many of its candidates continued to use this name.[/size]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservative_Party_of_Canada_(1867-1942)

Check

Why is the term embarrassing ? American references aside, it just seems to be a tidy way to describe the loss of assumed and/or mythical opportunity that is gone or never even existed, along with a long presumed advantage over "developing nations".

Are you saying it's different from American Dream in ways other than the geography ?

The American Dream and the American Way are American things. We can say we long for the "American Dream" if that's what it is. The Canadian Dream was the CP railway, I think.