AIR CANADA'S 'ATTITUDE' SUCKS!

jacee

This news item just reminded me that in 35+ years of air travel, I have always felt that Air Canada service leaves a lot to be desired. As the face of Canada worldwide ... they should do better!

The flight attendants are arrogant, rude, condescending ... the food sucks and you have to PAY for it even on a 5-6 hr flight! I just learned that the hard way ... and they only take credit cards ... and if they don't like your pre-paid card they hand it back and say "I need another card." Sorry princess! You'll just have to TYPE THE NUMBERS IN the old fashioned way cos I'm HUNGRY and nobody told me I'd have to PAY!!! :P

A few years back, in-laws arrived from overseas. I asked about their Air Canada flight. They said the flight attendants seemed a bit "arrogant", "not very helpful". Bang on. I apologized for Air Canada ... again.

A relative worked for Canadian before it was bought out by Air Canada, took the package and quit because she didn't want to be associated with Air Canada's arrogance.

And it has never changed!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/top-airline-passenger-gripes-rude-staff-poor-communication-1.2529841

Anybody else feel the same?

WestJet is great.

Air New Zealand is great.

Air Canada is an embarrassment!

Edited by jacee

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this a bad time to point out that Air Canada is Unionized and Westjet isn't.

Personally I think people expect too much from air travel. You're paying a few hundred dollars to go hundres if not thousands of kms in a matter of hours. If you want to be pampered, pay extra for business class.

Interestingly enough every time I've taken a sun location charter, I've had a great flight. They always include food and a good movie. The only downside is the people who are gearing up for a week of boozing by ordering over priced liqour on the plane.

I've never had a problem with Air Canada. So far I have found my experience on AC and WestJet flights to be indistinguishable. The only really crappy airline I've ever flown was Spirit out of the US. Still, I didn't mind, the airline was open about the bare bones quality of their flights. They certainly have absolutely no frills, comforts or conveniences but they got me to Vegas at a ridiculously low price.

Air Canada is my least favourite way to fly. Pretty much the whole experience is sub par compared to other carriers I've used. For travel within Canada I like West Jet personally. Once when flying out of Charles DeGaul airport I flew Air France. That was a great flight that was head and shoulders above Air Canada, great service, great meal and free drinks. In comparison the next Air Canada flight I took felt like riding on the back of a Turnip truck.

Over the holidays I flew American Airlines to my destination and took Air Canada home. It was night and day in terms of customers service and overall quality of the experience. Air Canada was superior in every single way. Way i see it is all major airlines suck, but AC is among the best of a bad lot.

Now Poter Airlines, that's an airline. But they aren't in the same category.

Geez, I flew as far as one possible can with AC to Australia and back and had no issues, in fact I thought it was superlative service and yes....I enjoyed all the meals .

Wait,. almost all the way, out of PuDong Airport in Shanghai I flew China Air. Now after an AC flight, China Air was lets say eye opening. I am sure the attendant who cleaned the plane looked in the john and said good enough. And it was...if you are a guy. Food was good though, albeit not as hermetically sealed as AC meals were, kind of like ok done, wheres the Saran wrap?

Domestic flight home from Van I was suprised to see a cost for food and earphones cnosidering I was flying 26 hours with them I thought damn give me it free will you?

Flew Tiger Air domestic in Aus four times, exactly what you paid for too. A seat with working seatbelt and a nice view out the window.

300 complaints after carrying how many passengers?

Guyser:

I agree with your post, as I always do, except for the point about guys' vs. girls' bathrooms.

Ask any cleaner, janitor, maintenance worker, etc: women's public washrooms are a disgusting disgrace, that make the stench and evil of men's bathrooms an oasis by comparison.

:)

I have no idea why this is, since in every other way I am aware of, men are three to seven times more disgusting than women.

I have no expectations of any airline other than these two minimum criteria:

1. cheap

2. get me there alive.

Since AC only meets one of those, I don't use them unless I absolutely must.

Note the new Air Canada motto: we're not happy until you're not happy!

I like WestJet, at our airport their checkin is quick and polite.

I fly north often enough, and my favorite is Air North. Great, casual, friendly service.

Guyser:

I agree with your post, as I always do, except for the point about guys' vs. girls' bathrooms.

Ask any cleaner, janitor, maintenance worker, etc: women's public washrooms are a disgusting disgrace, that make the stench and evil of men's bathrooms an oasis by comparison.

:)

I have no idea why this is, since in every other way I am aware of, men are three to seven times more disgusting than women.

I get that but these washrooms are unisex. Doesnt mattter to me if women mess them up, I only have to stand there for a minute anyhow.

I'm a little suspicious of this Air Trax thing, somehow.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Airlines

Trip Advisor seems a little more meat-and-potatoes with regards to ratings...

Korean Air 87%

Air Canada 44%

The last time I flew AC, I had points. The flight had problems and the service desk was too busy talking to each other than to help us get home.

Wilber - why not ? I have heard excellent things about KA.

Up until about ten years ago, they had the worst safety record of any major airline. They really seemed to be improving but the Asiana fiasco in San Francisco a few months ago has given me second thoughts although maybe it's just Asiana. There are definite Korean cultural issues that have been pointed out by both accident investigations and guys I know who have worked there. Their service might be great but for the present, if there is a North American or European alternative available, I'll take a pass.

I have no expectations of any airline other than these two minimum criteria:

1. cheap

2. get me there alive.

Since AC only meets one of those, I don't use them unless I absolutely must.

Note the new Air Canada motto: we're not happy until you're not happy!

:lol: That jives with my experiences.

And really, besides being more expensive in most cases, my real beef is just an arrogant attitude that permeates Air Canada staff and I'm told also at top echelons and filters down.

And ok, I have to say, they seem to provide excellent service and 'attitude' to business/first class. The arrogance is applied only to the 'cheap seats'.

Edited by jacee

I'm a little suspicious of this Air Trax thing, somehow.

Look at the rating systems: http://www.airlinequality.com/Airlines/AC.htm

Air Canada does poorly on the criteria which people complain about (food, service) but they are just a few among many. Plus the business class experience may be only meaningful for a small minority of fliers but it is a big part of the Air Trax rankings.

Lastly 'Best Airline in North America' gives them a pretty low bar to hurdle.

Edited by TimG

Look at the rating systems: http://www.airlinequality.com/Airlines/AC.htm

Air Canada does poorly on the criteria which people complain about (food, service) but they are just a few among many. Plus the business class experience may be only meaningful for a small minority of fliers but it is a big part of the Air Trax rankings.

Lastly 'Best Airline in North America' gives them a pretty low bar to hurdle.

Cabin service is their weak point, even in the ratings. "Attitude" sucks.

I've changed the topic title to reflect that.

eta ... AND sent a link to Air Canada. :)

Edited by jacee