What was the last movie you watched?

Moonlight Graham

Recently, let me count:

1. Jurassic World

CEO: ...I have spent 14 years to let the board green-lighting the project. You should not mess up it and should strictly do what I'm going to tell you to do.....

Director and screenplay writers:  A bigger, scarier, cooler..dinosaur?:D

Thanks heaven, Chris Pratt's performance partially saved the "World". Happy ending eh.

2. Independence Day: Resurgence

CEO: ...I have spent 20 years to let the board to green-lighting the project. You should not mess up it and should strictly do what I'm going to tell you to do.....

Director and screenplay writers:  A bigger, scarier, cooler..alien space ship?:lol:

But this time, nobody in the cast could save the box office. So all audience have seen is: no hero, no plan, no IQ.....just some dudes who have good dads and dumb luck...

3. Star Wars: Force Awakens

CEO: ...I have spent billions $ to buy the right of the frachise. You should not mess up it and should strictly do what I'm going to tell you to do.....

Director and screenplay writers:  A bigger, scarier, cooler..death star?:)

MBA: And we should release 3D version Blu-ray a few months after 2D version, so the enthusiastic fans have to buy the blu-ray twice...

CEO: If George Lucas had 50% commercial brain like yours,  he would have bought Walt Disney at first place instead have been bought by Disney...:P

4. Star Trek: Beyond

CEO: ...You should not mess up it and should strictly do what I'm going to tell you to do.....

Director and screenplay writers:  A bigger, scarier, cooler..USS Enterprise? OK. We will let the old one crash within 15 minutes after the movie begins, as usual, so you will be able to build a bigger one in next movie....

Chris Pine: Crash it again? As the actor of the captain who always crashes his ship, as for me,  things have started to feel a little episodic....

CEO: You saved the entire series. If you are tired to act Captain Jame T Kirk, needless to say, the position of vice director of the film is yours. No one deserves it more.

Chris Pine: Vice directors don't have 10 million $ pay checks like the leading role of the movie, do they?

CEO: No, they don't.

Chris Pine: Well, no offense, sir, where is the fun in that...:P:D:lol::rolleyes:

Edited by xul

Moonlight.

It is one of those 'small' movies that is going to stick with me for a long time....

It is set in Miami, on the meanest of some very mean streets, heavy poverty and drug use and rampant hopelessness, It follows the life and times of a black kid who struggles in the worst of life circumstances.  It has three actors playing him over about 30 years.   It has no star actors, except perhaps one who is moderately known, Andre Holland. Despite all that, it is a powerful message, a glimpse of a life I hope never to live and an affirmation of humanity despite it all.

It won't be in theaters for long, but you might see the name at the Oscars.

Moonlight.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I watched Rogue One, A Star Wars Story this week, and I enjoyed it tremendously!

This is a one-shot story that stands on its own, but also ties in closely with the Star Wars saga-- the events at the very end of Rogue One immediately precede the events at the very beginning of the original Star Wars film of 1977.  In Star Wars, Princess Leia says "A lot of good people died to get these plans... it had better be worth it."  In Rogue One, you get to watch how it happened.

This movie has a completely new group of characters and is free of Jedi and Skywalkers. However, there are also some Easter Eggs and cameo appearances that will delight fans of the original saga as well. I highly recommend Rogue One to fans of the Star Wars movies, and to fans of sci-fi adventure in general.

-k

• 2 weeks later...

On the way to Cambodia:

The latest Jason Bourne movie: not as good as the previous ones, less realistic but same kind of action/vehicle chase. 

X-men Apocalypse: not very good but I still have the comic books from the early 90's wrapped up in acid free plastic and acid free cardstock backing so I am biased. 

On the way home from Cambodia:

Suicide Squad: a rather dumb movie that really likes guns and stupid bad guy super heros (like the guy from Australia with the pink unicorn stuffed toy and the boomerang weapon). 

Captain Fantastic: an okay movie about a family that is home schooled in the woods of Oregon and their development from book smart, liberal, Noam Chomsky loving "rednecks" to their embrace and acceptance of the larger world.

Finally, a movie that explains "Lolita" for the genius that it is. It is supposedly a comedy, drama, and romance. It does have several funny moments, despite dealing with the morbid tale of the mother's suicide and reclaiming her body from the cemetary to be properly disposed of.....

5 hours ago, betsy said:

Sicario!

It's a very good movie about the drug cartel in Mexico (and USA), with excellent acting from Benicio del Toro and Josh Brolin.  Highly recommended.

I thought that was just about being tired of overexposure to the last Olympics. 

I'll have to give it a look.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

An old movie I'd seen before:  The Professional.

It stars Jean Reno, Gary Oldman and a very young Natalie Porter.  I still enjoyed it (as I did the first time).  This scene - along with its soundtrack - is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI1XzRmojQE

There are some scenes though that I find disturbing.........but,  must be a pleasure for pedophiles. 

Edited by betsy

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Frances Ha, not exactly my sort of movie but excellently done, the story of an idealistic young woman who probably watched Friends as a kid trying to make it as a dancer in New York, keep a roof over her head and sustain a friendship under strain. Despite the arty talk, issues of wealth and class are right under the surface with these bohemians. There are comic moments but many sad ones too which the black and white treatment is well suited for. The script and acting are first rate and one of the coolest British songs ever written is featured:

Edited by SpankyMcFarland