Beer

For any Hefeweizen fans out there, I would recommend Garrison's Rise'n'Stein which, IMO, stacks up well against any of the top German beers in that category:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/garrison-rise-n-stein-hefeweizen/434551/

And the 650 ml bottle means fewer trips to the fridge.

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

• 2 months later...

I might have nowhere to go on  New Year's Eve, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy a decent ale.  Currently working my way through Goose Island's catalogue.

GOOSE_IPA_PACKAGING3_1000.jpg

And contrary to the obvious riposte, that does not explain a lot.

Edited by bcsapper

• 3 months later...

I was looking for the beer thread, it turns out it was one of those that Cybercoma, bless him, turned into a dot.  Any chance the mods might reinstate some kind of appropriate title?

I'm having one of these.  It's huge.  If anyone wants to out reason me, now's your chance!

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/11977/44764/

Edited by bcsapper

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2018-01-02 at 6:55 AM, ?Impact said:

Amber, blond, cream, golden, pale, light - What I wash my glassware in

Red - Will do in a pinch

Dark - Now that's beer

Does one need to become a brew master to learn the difference between an ale, lager, stout and porter?

Stouts and porters are both ales.  

19 minutes ago, The_Squid said:

Stouts and porters are both ales.  

Yeah technically but beers designated "Stout" or "Porter" are descriptive of a particular kind of ale. Many associate Ale with a red or brown beer. I prefer ales myself vs. lager, with a few exceptions such as an unfiltered Weissbier. Depends on the occasion. After a hockey game, in the dressing room we drink Molson Canadian, or Coors light. Ain't no one crackin a fine bottle of Orval...

I have many favourites and it changes over time, but lately my standard go-to is Belgian Moon. They ran out of it at the grocery store so tonight I am having Shocktop. Not quite the same. I really like the fine Trappist ales, especially those with low gas. They are generally somewhat higher in alcohol content, some up to 10%. The flavours are so complex in these ales, it's a real treat.

Delerium Tremens, La Trappe. Belgian beers, hmm there is a trend here.

I think Irish beers are very nice too. Caffrey's, Kilkenny. Fine, low gas brews. Murphy's Irish Stout. Even Harp Lager, hey not bad.

Edited by OftenWrong
added more beers

20 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

After a hockey game, in the dressing room we drink Molson Canadian, or Coors light.

The first beer I developed a taste for (many decades ago) was Molson Export. We used to order a pitcher of it for $1. I was never asked for ID, which was a good thing because I didn't have a fake one. Probably benefited from growing up in Montreal. We used to make fun of the guys that ordered Brador, do they still make that?

13 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

The first beer I developed a taste for (many decades ago) was Molson Export. We used to order a pitcher of it for $1. I was never asked for ID, which was a good thing because I didn't have a fake one. Probably benefited from growing up in Montreal. We used to make fun of the guys that ordered Brador, do they still make that?

Don't know, but I have not seen that label for a long time. For the Quebec beers I liked Boreal Blonde. I have not tried many others. Found some nice local made brews in Montreal. We went to Brewtopia. My wife and I plan to go to Quebec City this summer as we like to explore the local craft beers.

Edited by OftenWrong

20 hours ago, ?Impact said:

Funny reading this. Was just in Gatineau last night doing the same thing; they still don't care for ID :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm drinking a Citradelic by Big Rock right now and, as someone who only tolerates most IPA's, it's quite good. It's a single hop IPA with a pleasant citrus flavour from the Citra hops, 6% alcohol and fairly bitter 67 on the IBU scale. It's smooth, refreshing and about as bitter as I go. 

I took part in an Ale-Vent calendar this past December where six people each buy six cans/bottles of four different microbrews. We then made six identical 24 packs containing 24 different varieties. The only rule was the beer could not be a mainstream, mass produced variety. We each sampled the same beer each day leading up to Christmas eve and rated them online. It was great, though now I have to find an excuse to do it in April.
cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

On ‎06‎/‎08‎/‎2013 at 5:38 AM, bcsapper said:

I like a good, hoppy pale ale. If you get a chance to try "Proper Job", (it's English, but it's in liquor stores in AB) give it a shot.

Kimmy, have you tried much Driftwood stuff? I have only had their Fat Tug. It was very good, but strong.

Good fall backs for me are Full Moon Pale Ale, Tankhouse Ale, or Smithwick's.

Cornish, actually, but it goes down well.   The UK is full of good beers nowadays.    The Lord wants us to die happy under Brexit, even if we can't eat.