US Congress - Clash of Science and Scripture

What was there to say in the first place.....except "so what" ? The President of the United States also believes in a "flying spaghetti monster in the sky"....oh my !

...and Canadians wanted him re-elected.

If you can't see the difference between being religious and being utterly stupid for religious reasons.... Well.... Not much more can be said.

Do you favour a person who clearly doesn't understnad, or worse, doesn't believe in science To be the chairman of that committee?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can't see the difference between being religious and being utterly stupid for religious reasons.... Well.... Not much more can be said.

There is no fundamental difference as the attacks on religion and faith continue unabated on this forum. If he isn't allowed to make the distinction, why should we believe you can either ?

Do you favour a person who clearly doesn't understnad, or worse, doesn't believe in science To be the chairman of that committee?

I don't care either way....chairmanships come and go but the USA still manages to do far more than "less religious" Canada.

Paul Broun's renewal as the chairman of the House Science and Technology Committee is not a comment about America as a whole. However, it's certainly a comment about the state of the Republican party.

Broun's renewal indicates that despite pleas from Bobby Jindal and others, the Republicans are happy to continue to be viewed as (in Jindal's words) "the Stupid Party."

They protest about how unfair it is for people to characterize Republicans as ignorant Bible-thumpers and then they turn around and make a mook like this their science committee chairman. Really, what more can you say about that?

-k

Holy crap! An on topic post!

A mythical creature, long presumed extinct in threads where AW and BC participate.

Safer than it has been for a long time - crime is down both here and in the US.

Gunfire rings in a deadly New Year across US

Across the country, the New Year rang in with the sound of gunfire:

Seven people were shot, one of them fatally, during a New Year's party early Tuesday in Columbus, Ga.

Three people, one of them a 17-year-old boy, were shot and killed Tuesday morning in separate incidents in Philadelphia, NBC 10 of Philadelphia reported.

Police said they were investigating a double homicide Tuesday morning in Elizabeth City, N.C., Both were in their early 20s.

Police in Suffolk, Va., said a 31-year-old man died at a hospital after he was shot at a "social gathering" about 3 a.m., WAVY reported.

In Chicago, which hit the grim milestone of 500 homicides in 2012 last week, New Year's Day kept the toll clicking. A 20-year-old was killed Tuesday morning on the West Side, authorities said. He was among 11 people to have been shot so far Tuesday, the Sun-Times reported.

Another man was also shot and killed early Tuesday at a Georgia nightclub.

A suspect was in custody after a man killed one person and wounded four others Tuesday morning at a convenience store in Lansing, Mich.,

Four people were shot, one of them fatally, at about 3:30 a.m. at a gasoline station in Lorain, Ohio,

Police said a man shot his girlfriend in the head in Port Arthur, Texas, during an argument Tuesday morning,

A 19-year-old high school senior was dead and two other people were wounded during a shooting incident about 2 a.m. ET during a New Year's Eve party at an American Legion building in Clayton, N.C.,

In Corpus Christi, Texas, a 35-year-old man who was found shot in a parking lot Tuesday morning .

Police in Flint, Mich., said they had no suspects in the death of a man who was found Tuesday morning with a gunshot wound.

Indianapolis police who were called to a duplex shortly before 5:30 a.m. found a dead man with what appeared to be a gunshot wound,

Sheriff's deputies were investigating a fatal shooting Tuesday afternoon in Columbia, S.C., NBC station.

Definitely not a happy new year.

What was there to say in the first place.....except "so what" ? The President of the United States also believes in a "flying spaghetti monster in the sky"....oh my !

...and Canadians wanted him re-elected.

So Barack Obama and Paul Broun are the same because they belong to nominally the same religion? ha ha, and I suppose they're all the same as Fred Phelps. Sorry, Dick. Funny, but no.

Christianity and science aren't incompatible. Many of the greatest scientists were Christians. And yet, out of 234 Republicans in the House of Representatives-- all of them Christian if I recall-- they for some reason select the guy who says "Science and Evolution are Lies Straight From The Pit Of Hell!" (his words) to chair the science committee.

That's something they've been ridiculed for repeatedly, and now that they've re-elected Broun to the post, that's something their opponents get to continue to hit them over the head with. They completely ignored poor Bobby Jindal, and chose to remain "the Stupid Party." Their choice; just don't cry about it next election.

-k

So Barack Obama and Paul Broun are the same because they belong to nominally the same religion? ha ha, and I suppose they're all the same as Fred Phelps. Sorry, Dick. Funny, but no.

Then what makes an expert non religious discerning Canadian pull the trigger on one but not the other? Is there a secret Canadian profiling guide on Americans and Christianity ?

Christianity and science aren't incompatible. Many of the greatest scientists were Christians. And yet, out of 234 Republicans in the House of Representatives-- all of them Christian if I recall-- they for some reason select the guy who says "Science and Evolution are Lies Straight From The Pit Of Hell!" (his words) to chair the science committee.

Already said that above...with far fewer words.

That's something they've been ridiculed for repeatedly, and now that they've re-elected Broun to the post, that's something their opponents get to continue to hit them over the head with. They completely ignored poor Bobby Jindal, and chose to remain "the Stupid Party." Their choice; just don't cry about it next election.

They won't....elections are won or loss for lots of reasons. There is no "natural ruling party" in the United States. George Bush and "God" won a second term in the White House.....boy did the Canadians cry ! biggrin.png

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Then what makes an expert non religious discerning Canadian pull the trigger on one but not the other? Is there a secret Canadian profiling guide on Americans and Christianity ?

One needn't be a theologian or have a secret Canadian profiling guide to differentiate between a man with a long and public history of supporting scientific and rational thought from a man with a short and public history of declaring science to be lies from the devil. You're making yourself look quite a fool by pretending otherwise.

Already said that above...with far fewer words.

And yet no attempt to explain Mr Broun getting returned to his post.

They won't....elections are won or loss for lots of reasons.

Paul Broun won't win or lose them an election. But he's a symptom of a much bigger problem the Republicans face, which is being completely tone-deaf.

President Obama and his family began attending church publicly after six months in office. He goes to church just like God fearing Republicans (or Democrats).

Yes, you've already suggested that Broun and Obama are the same because they're both Christians. And it's a laughable argument. Repeating it makes you look ridiculous. Or more ridiculous, perhaps.

-k

One needn't be a theologian or have a secret Canadian profiling guide to differentiate between a man with a long and public history of supporting scientific and rational thought from a man with a short and public history of declaring science to be lies from the devil. You're making yourself look quite a fool by pretending otherwise.

I'm just trying to get calibrated here....remember...I am not Canadian. Look at it from my point of view.....if the Greatest Canadian was a eugenics fiend (Tommy Douglas), I am not sure worshiping science Canada style is any better. How do you reconcile this gap ?

And yet no attempt to explain Mr Broun getting returned to his post.

He was appointed, no? Aren't your Senators seated the same way? No vote even required.

Paul Broun won't win or lose them an election. But he's a symptom of a much bigger problem the Republicans face, which is being completely tone-deaf.

They're doing OK....as the Republicans control the House and a slim majority of state legislatures. Lots of governors too.

Yes, you've already suggested that Broun and Obama are the same because they're both Christians. And it's a laughable argument. Repeating it makes you look ridiculous. Or more ridiculous, perhaps.

Yet I am not phased....or hell bent on attacking individual Christians.

How many times? At least as many times as the United States is mentioned in threads about Canada that have nothing to do with the United States.

In other words, you're a hypocrite. You criticize Canadians for mentioning the US in threads about Canada, but you go and do the exact same thing. Or did you want to give up on that whole schtick?

In other words, you're a hypocrite. You criticize Canadians for mentioning the US in threads about Canada, but you go and do the exact same thing. Or did you want to give up on that whole schtick?

No, I have learned that when in Rome Canada (via server farm in Texas), do as the Canadians do. If it's not hypocrisy for you, then it is not hypocrisy for me.