US Congress - Clash of Science and Scripture

http://www.vancouver...6592/story.html

Only in America can the Chairman of the Subcommittee on Investigations and Oversight of the Committee on Science, Space and Technology of the House of Representatives be the same congressman from Georgia who was caught on tape last summer during an "off-the-record" campaign appearance at a Baptist church saying, "All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and the Big Bang Theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell."

"You see," said the chairman of the subcommittee on investigations, etc. that day in October, "there are a lot of scientific data that I've found out as a scientist that actually show that this is really a young Earth. I don't believe that the Earth's but about nine thousand years old. I believe it was created in six days as we know them. That's what the Bible says."

When the session concludes, I approach the podium and ask Rep. Broun if he has encountered any adverse reaction to his presence on the Committee on Science, Space and Technology, given that he now is famous for announcing that everything that scientists since Aristotle have discovered about the genesis of the stars and of our species are merely "lies to try to keep me and all the folks who were taught that from understanding that they need a saviour," and that Scripture - and Scripture alone - "teaches us how to run all of public policy and everything in society. And that's the reason as your congressman I hold the Holy Bible as being the major directions to me of how I vote in Washington, D.C., and I'll continue to do that."

"I AM a scientist," Paul Broun, M.D. tells me. "I believe in science, and I'm looking at things from a scientific perspective." Then one of his handlers tugs him by the suitcoat and hustles the chairman away.

Truly scary. Would you let this man be your doctor? What does he do, pray over you to "heallllll?" I guess he keeps prescribing the same old antibiotic, since there's no evolution and bacteria don't evolve resistance to it. You have to wonder how a society that lets people like this anywhere near scientific enterprise ever got to the moon. Of course that was then, they'd never get it together to do it now. How do you say moon in Chinese?

Edited by Canuckistani

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman
Stunning.

It's like letting Richard Dawkins have a turn as Pope.

Or letting Gary Goodyear have a turn as the Science Minister in Canada.

Oh, wait ...............

Truly scary. Would you let this man be your doctor?

Maybe. If he is a doctor, but it depends. It wouldn't bother me that he believes in a god.

On the other hand, I might instead let him be a social engineer.

Maybe. If he is a doctor, but it depends. It wouldn't bother me that he believes in a god.

On the other hand, I might instead let him be a social engineer.

As the article says, he's an MD who doesn't believe in evolution nor embryology. But does believe that the earth is 9000 yrs old - ie doesn't believe the entire structure of physics and chemistry. And what kind of social engineer would he make (more so than he already is)? Back to a hand for a hand and masturbation is evullll and raping your daughters and all the other good stuff in the bible?

As the article says, he's an MD who doesn't believe in evolution nor embryology. But does believe that the earth is 9000 yrs old - ie doesn't believe the entire structure of physics and chemistry. And what kind of social engineer would he make (more so than he already is)? Back to a hand for a hand and masturbation is evullll and raping your daughters and all the other good stuff in the bible?

ok ok.

:)

But contrast that, with the moral vacuum that we have today. Safe? Land of the free?

How's that workin out fer ya

ok ok.

smile.png

But contrast that, with the moral vacuum that we have today. Safe? Land of the free?

How's that workin out fer ya

Safer than it has been for a long time - crime is down both here and in the US. Land of the free - was always more of an empty slogan than anything else. People in democracies are as free as they want to be. Moral vacuum - you mean like discrimination against gays and non-whites. Seeing domestic violence against women and rape of a wife as perfectly moral? What we've done to Natives? The vacuum is certitude, ie most people believing the same "truths", rather than actual morality.

Hmm, could you please show me where masturbation is in the bible? And raping your daughters being good is?

So what do you think this is, the world's first doctor who believes the Bible? I'm afraid there's been about a million or so before this one. Also, the very best brightest sharpest minds of the day once agreed with many truly odd things like Eugenics, bloodletting, and the earth is flat. Your link is nothing more than another silly hatchet job from the Vancouver Sun.

Hmm, could you please show me where masturbation is in the bible? And raping your daughters being good is?

So what do you think this is, the world's first doctor who believes the Bible? I'm afraid there's been about a million or so before this one. Also, the very best brightest sharpest minds of the day once agreed with many truly odd things like Eugenics, bloodletting, and the earth is flat. Your link is nothing more than another silly hatchet job from the Vancouver Sun.

Sin of onanism - don't spill your seed on the ground.

As you approach a town to attack it, first offer its people terms for peace. If they accept your terms and open the gates to you, then all the people inside will serve you in forced labor. But if they refuse to make peace and prepare to fight, you must attack the town. When the LORD your God hands it over to you, kill every man in the town. But you may keep for yourselves all the women, children, livestock, and other plunder. You may enjoy the spoils of your enemies that the LORD your God has given you.
Just one example.

Not the first doc to believe in the bible. I sure wouldn't want a doc who doesn't believe in evolution and embryology.

Nice sharp hatchet they have, too.

Edited by Canuckistani

Belief in God /= non-belief in evolution and embryology. Y'all have ob/gyn and pediatricians who don't believe in embryology? How barbaric.

Beats not having enough neo-natal facilities in British Columbia, forcing some Canadians to have a very strong belief in "barbaric" American health care.

So much for "only in America," as the Vancouver Sun claims.

Yeah well, the Vancouver Sun is a left wing rag from the land of old hippies, so that doesn't surprise me. Both men are ridiculous choices for the job.

Beats not having enough neo-natal facilities in British Columbia, forcing some Canadians to have a very strong belief in "barbaric" American health care.

Lacking a national health care system of their own, thousands of Americans are tapping into Canada's -- illegally.

"It's not an epidemic in any one person's practice," said Keith MacLeod, an obstetrician in Windsor, Ontario, across from Detroit, "but I would estimate that from 12 to 20 of my patients at any one time are ineligible Americans. And I'm just one of 520 doctors in Windsor, 23,000 in Ontario."

Dr. MacLeod, former president of the Essex County Medical Society, delivers about 400 babies a year.

A report prepared for Ontario's Health Minister indicated that from August 1992 to February 1993, 60,000 medical claims had been made on behalf of patients who held American drivers' licenses. The total number of improper claims in Ontario was estimated at 600,000.

Only legal residents qualify for free medical care in Canada, using plastic health cards for identification. Others are supposed to pay for medical services they may require, but many are submitting counterfeit, borrowed or fradulently obtained cards.

Guest American Woman
Lacking a national health care system of their own, thousands of Americans are tapping into Canada's -- illegally.

"It's not an epidemic in any one person's practice," said Keith MacLeod, an obstetrician in Windsor, Ontario, across from Detroit, "but I would estimate that from 12 to 20 of my patients at any one time are ineligible Americans. And I'm just one of 520 doctors in Windsor, 23,000 in Ontario."

So how do these "estimated" ineligible Americans get an OHIP card? Seems to me if one doctor alone is treating that many ineligible Americans, there's something wrong with your system.

Edited by American Woman

Guest American Woman
Yeah well, the Vancouver Sun is a left wing rag from the land of old hippies, so that doesn't surprise me. Both men are ridiculous choices for the job.

What doesn't really surprise me is all the attention being focused on the American by Canadians, as the Canadian is all but given a pass. Don't you find that odd and hypocritical?

Edited to add: Although in retrospect it does seem to be mainly Canuckistani ....

Edited by American Woman

What doesn't really surprise me is all the attention being focused on the American by Canadians, as the Canadian is all but given a pass. Don't you find that odd and hypocritical?

I did at first, but after several years on these forums it is obvious how the Canadian identity and cross-border neurosis works. Pointing at the U.S. is their universal answer for all that is lacking in Canada. And some here sure as hell do not like it when the "favor" is returned.