Why our mindsets are so different

Guest Derek L

I think they're hating on America because American culture is supposidly everywhere - but I'd like to know who's putting a gun to their heads, making them buy McDonald's and Coca Cola and pizza and Nikes and whatever. I can see the resentment for our culture being brought into their country, but they can be angry with their government for allowing it - and they can most definitely not buy the products themselves. If American companies didn't get any business, they wouldn't still be there. So who's to blame that "American culture" is everywhere?

Perhaps, I was leaning towards jealously based on their societies failed attempts to spread their culture “everywhere”……….It must real eat at them to know the American military has been the predominate military within their nation since 1945.………Perhaps they should reflect why that is wink.png

No ants killing beetles unless those darn Americans say so

Edited by Derek L

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman

Perhaps, I was leaning towards jealously based on their societies failed attempts to spread their culture “everywhere”……….It must real eat at them to know the American military has been the predominate military within their nation since 1945.………Perhaps they should reflect why that is wink.png

No ants killing beetles unless those darn Americans say so

You're likely right. Even their name is taken from the U.S. military base where the air show disaster took place. It did sort of surprise me that a Finn would put this song out there as to how "Europe" feels about America, though - in light of the fact that it could have been Germany doing much more than building a McDonald's in their countries.

Technically, Finland was an Axis power (bad guys) during WW2 but with several complexities and mitigating circumstances. Having to pick between Germany or the Soviet Union, Finland picked Germany...and guessed wrong.

At the time of WW2, the Duke of Borneomshoire could be more adequately described as the Duke of Bavaria or, at that time, the Chancellor of Germany. It was as a result of this Act of Parliament, that the Finns found themselves in WW2.
Edited by bush_cheney2004

On reflection of the comments in this thread, the US national debate on guns seen in the media, news, comedy shows, and on this forum. I have no idea WHY our mindsets are so different. But I hope it always stays that way.

Guest American Woman

When we start recommending people bring guns to school, I'll agree with you.

Reality is - a lot of Canadians agree with that idea - and a lot of Americans don't. There are people on both sides of the fence in both countries.

But for the record, no one is suggesting that "people" bring guns to school any more that Canadians are advocating that "people can carry guns everywhere" in Canada just because police officers on duty can.

Reality is - a lot of Canadians agree with that idea - and a lot of Americans don't. There are people on both sides of the fence in both countries.

But for the record, no one is suggesting that "people" bring guns to school any more that Canadians are advocating that "people can carry guns everywhere" in Canada just because police officers on duty can.

Oh I'm sorry, I thought the NRA guy suggested on TV that it could be done by volunteers.

Guest American Woman

Oh I'm sorry, I thought the NRA guy suggested on TV that it could be done by volunteers.

Then you misunderstood;* and for the record, the NRA isn't synonymous with the American mindset, and there are people in Canada who agree with the idea, too, as well as Americans who don't. Furthermore, as has been pointed out, there are schools in Canada with armed guards - so there you go. It is being advocated in Canada.

*LaPierre called on Congress to put a police officer in every school in America

Edited by American Woman

Then you misunderstood

Explain it to me then, if I misunderstood. Or else, how will we ever bridge that divide?

I heard it on CNN quite some time ago. So if I google for it now, it says-

"Head of NRA: Serious about arming school volunteers"

In the interview, Hutchinson insisted armed volunteers in schools is one of a laundry list of ideas that he and his team will consider as it prepares a set of recommendations on best security practices for schools to consider.

Another option, Hutchinson said, is arming school personnel who are interested in firearms training.

Isn't he talking about arming school volunteers?

Guest American Woman

Explain it to me then, if I misunderstood. Or else, how will we ever bridge that divide?

I heard it on CNN quite some time ago. So if I google for it now, it says-

Isn't he talking about arming school volunteers?

The leader of the National Rifle Association on Sunday volunteered to have the organization coordinate a national effort to put
former military and police officers
in schools as volunteer guards.

Read more: http://triblive.com/...a#ixzz2I74heLWL

Edited to add:

At any rate, there are Americans who agree and disagree with the idea, just as there are Canadians who agree and disagree with the idea.

Edited by American Woman

Is that what he said later? Maybe that's not the same speech I linked to. It sounds like he had a re-think on that one.

Armed Guards does not necessarily mean people who are trained in security. Those people get paid for their work. The idea was for volunteers. The idea was "floated" in the first speech, meaning they were still thinking about it. So he might have meant any kind of volunteer. He clearly was referring to teachers and administrative staff as another possibility. Not trained security personnel IE ex military, ex police or what have you. He was talking about ordinary civilians.

Do you see what I'm getting at? He put the message out, if you've got a gun and feel like being a good citizen, go hang out at the school yard. It's free help, and anyone can do it without a permit.

During that time, gun sales went up in America. How many were for people getting ready to volunteer, by going out to buy a gun? Because they want to protect their children, and here it is, the guy telling them how on TV.

So AW, it doesn't matter what he really meant.

As an adult I make my own decisions as to how much risk I am prepared to take but if I still had school aged kids, I would pass on moving anywhere that had to arm it's teachers just so Joe Blow can have the right to buy a six pack of AR-15's and its like at the local sporting goods store, just because he can.

Finland fought the Soviets several times. 1941-44 was the only time they lost.

As an adult I make my own decisions as to how much risk I am prepared to take but if I still had school aged kids,

Such children would have a greater chance of being killed in/by a motor vehicle or other accident. I guess they would have to walk to school.

Finland fought the Soviets several times. 1941-44 was the only time they lost.

Bad timing...the Soviet Union was a WW2 ally.

As an adult I make my own decisions as to how much risk I am prepared to take but if I still had school aged kids, I would pass on moving anywhere that had to arm it's teachers just so Joe Blow can have the right to buy a six pack of AR-15's and its like at the local sporting goods store, just because he can.

Thats a great point... Who the hell would want to live somewhere where teachers need to carry guns so that people dont come and shoot the children to death?

Guest Derek L

You mean Israel where you are allowed 50 bullets to last your whole life?

You heard wrong.......50 a year, not including purchasing ammo at a gun range, unless you can demonstrate a need for self defense or work......Not hard to do in Israel.

Guest Derek L

Yes....however, the U.S. will provide all the bullets they want.

Actually, due to the sudden increase in demand, Israeli manufactures are supplying Americans with 9mm, 5.56 and all the 20 & 30 round mags they can sell.......wink.png

Hmmmm....let's see...how about...Israel ?

What about Israel? They don't secure their schools to protect them from their fellow Israelis. Private gun ownership is strictly controlled and possession is very much in the context of the well regulated miltia your constitution speaks of, not your present free for all. It is estmated that there is only one privately owned firearm for every 50 Israelis, not one per citizen as in the US.

Edited by Wilber