Why can't Canada be more nationalist?

Mr.Canada

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

I think Canadians are very nationalistic but are less boisterous about it. You can see them display their flag proudly during athletic competitions, engage in peace keeping and humanitarian efforts but in a more subdued or reserved manner. We don't require the front row seat but want to be respected for our contributions without fanfare. We are less about self and more about each other and I think it shows in how we treat people without prejudice or unjustified stereotypes. We may be neighbors to America, but we are very different from them and our uniqueness is recognized around the world.

I think Canadians are very nationalistic but are less boisterous about it. You can see them display their flag proudly during athletic competitions, engage in peace keeping and humanitarian efforts but in a more subdued or reserved manner. We don't require the front row seat but want to be respected for our contributions without fanfare. We are less about self and more about each other and I think it shows in how we treat people without prejudice or unjustified stereotypes. We may be neighbors to America, but we are very different from them and our uniqueness is recognized around the world.

As an American I recognize Canada's uniqueness; do others?

Do you have to wave a flag or be a braggart to show you are nationalistic? Americans are classified very nationalistic because they are so bold and flamboyant about it. I see lots of Canadians displaying our flag, wearing pins displaying where they are from but they aren't overt about it. We are a nation that accepts a bilindpgual and bicultural aspect where if you look at the politics in America they would prefer to Bea white and English speaking nation. I don't think nationalism has anything to do with showing where you come from but rather representing your country in a respectful and appreciative manner. Canada does this much better than !most and is recognized accordingly.

I think nationalism and patriotism are usually bad. They prevent people from seeing obvious problems with their country and its politicians. The most nationalistic societies often tend to be the poorly run ones because the people don't/can't question bad decisions or they are labelled un-insert country here -ican. Its better people compete on valid ideas than vague concepts of patriotism.

Do you know anything about the U.S.? Because if you think the opening post describes the U.S., the answer would have to be no.

Some of them were spot on, AW. Especially the forcing other nations part.

The USA forces other nations to bend to USA will. That means death, torture, murder, rape, and having your wealth stolen, plus some other unmentionables.

It can also mean that vast numbers of your children get murdered, poisoned, napalmed, carpet bombed, machine gunned, raped, ... .

Nationalism and patriotism are harmless. Virtuous, even. The same as religion, political ideology, environmentalism, etc. The only problem is extremism.

I think there is nothing wrong with pride in one's religion or national heritage.

Nationalism and Patriotism are forms of mental retardation that prevent people from seeing the world around them through an objective lense.

No, being ignorant and unempathetic "prevents people from seeing the world around them through an objective lens." That's like saying "marriage or connection to family are forms of mental retardation that prevent people from seeing the world around them through an objective lens." Nothing wrong with connection to something you care about, a place you and your family have been a part of for decades or centuries.

So you don't believe in being proud of your country? You prefer to have no sense of connection to your country, it's just a random place to live in, like many other countries? You would prefer that we not celebrate Canada Day every July 1st because eww nationalism and patriotism? Let's replace the national anthem with a Beyonce song! And replace our flag with a barcode!

Nationalism and patriotism are discriminatory.

Yes they are. It means I like and have more of a connection to Canada than, say, Nigeria. But that doesn't mean I have a sinister dislike of Nigerians or will treat them unkind or that I am not a humanist at the same time. Humanism and nationalism are not mutually exclusive,

No, being ignorant and unempathetic "prevents people from seeing the world around them through an objective lens." That's like saying "marriage or connection to family are forms of mental retardation that prevent people from seeing the world around them through an objective lens."

Perhaps you can explain the fevered pitch that overtook the USA and then Canada that causes so many people to deny reality. That caused both of the aforementioned countries to illegally invade a sovereign nation.

That causes everyone to unthinkingly accept ludicrous notions like, "they hate our freedoms". That causes vast swaths of Americans and Canadians to be so ignorant and unempathetic that they absolutely refuse to entertain the completely logical idea (supported by CIA/pentagon officials) that there are people who have finally decided to retaliate against the USA for their century plus of murder and mayhem. These USA agencies were saying that it was something that should have been expected.

All pushed under the carpet, mindless patriotism has ruled the dayS.

You, yourself, have attempted to explain away genocide, war crimes and terrorism with the "well others have done it too/others would have done it if we hadn't beat them to the punch".

Is this the ignorance and lack of empathy you spoke of?

The news is full of ISIS, Boko Haram, other boogeymen and their evil doings. Beheadings are the USA's and the other righteous western nations horror du jour, when the USA has engaged in these same horrendous behaviours, again, by a huge margin over the entire collection of all these other "terrorists".

Is this not the very ignorance and lack of empathy you speak of?